Forum Stats
60439 Members
45 Forums
475815 Topics
6241986 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5727646 - 05/03/15 08:33 PM ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ...
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
Looking at getting a Spotting scope again and have $200 budgeted. Needs to be able to see bullet holes on white paper out to at least 200 yards. Not looking for 1000 yard glass, just a range mule that could double out of a box blind at 270 distances under 400 yards, even though most likely I'll be transitioning into a 260. This is worse than being on a diet, losing weight and getting off pizza and the gooder stuff in life, to walk away from a 270....but the shoulder sez it's time if I'm gonna pound load ladders and steel targets most of the time.

Right now the Celestron Ultima series looks good to me in a 20-60x80 as the best price per value compromise, with lots of very positive reviews on Amazon....but the Mo spendy 100mm version is s'posed to gather 100% more light than the 80mm, which is s'posed to gather 100% mo light than the 65mm, that I started looking at first in the $100 range + tripod.

What Say the THF'ers who have used one, or sumthin else mo bettah for my max range & budget paradign parameters?
Ron

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#5727685 - 05/03/15 08:52 PM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Ron,

Because you can't keep any post under 100 words I didn't read it. Based on the post the bad news is "good", "cheap", "under $200", and "spotting scope" cannot belong in the same sentence. peep

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5727719 - 05/03/15 09:04 PM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

I got just so few words to use every day, I save'm up for THF 'cause the BW won't listen to me either...and I'm so deaf "to the sound of her voice" I get tired of sayin' "whadda You SAY?" when she gets tired of arguing over who let the coffee machine turnoff when they got their last cup and left me with cooold coffee again.

Old folks fun'n games and what ya'll got to look forward to if you last the 48 years we have...wonder how THAT happend??? Oh I know...bein as deaf as I am helps for sure.

OK I'll go on an order that Celestron 80 and try it out later this month when I get all the pieces and parts put togther on all three rifle's, and take up residence every week 'fore the temp's break 90+ at Fossil Point - Fossil Creek is the name of a local liqour store in a Denison and I get confused when names are that close together ...or what ever that place's name is over N'West of Denton that I'm sure is alcohol free. Then it's on to Leonard once a month or so unless I can find sumplace else out to 500 to stretch the new shooters legs.
Ron

Edited by WileyCoyote (05/03/15 09:18 PM)

#5727796 - 05/03/15 09:44 PM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

You can upgrade your rifle scope to see bullet holes in paper at 200 yards. All of mine will do it to 300.

#5727874 - 05/03/15 10:46 PM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

The spotter will also do duty some at Hagerman too in my new hobby with the volunteer group Friends of Hagermen, of ID'ing birds for specie counts and stuff, and somehow I think they might frown on using a rifle mounted scope for that job, as its been my experience the Feds up here have little or NO humor at all...now if it was mounted on a bow...who knows it might become the hot new thing in birding.

It'll also read license plates of COE Reg violaters that are trying again to take over the COE park in front of my house, despite a TxDot hwy rail fence system and multiple No Vehicles Allowed signs...and keep me from having to deal with the GCSO folks face to face. The COE Lake Mgr seems to think his Police Services contract payments to GCSO include policing the COE property too, but that message has apparently never been passed to the Deputies or dispatchers...or he's pulling my leg ....so I'm gonna stay out of this for a change and simply pass along the violaters pics, ID info & license plate numbers to all parties involved, who can argue among themselves over who s'posed to do what to whom & where. Like your FFP SWFA 5-25 that can take camera shots up to 25 power, this 'un will start at 20 power, but go up to 60 power with a 80mm lense in front... I just can't figure out yet how to strap it to a rifle & put cross hairs in it...oh 'scuse me MIL MIL Dots.
Ron

Edited by WileyCoyote (05/03/15 11:04 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity if any can be had LOL

#5728017 - 05/04/15 07:02 AM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

20-60X is a tall order for less than $200.

As has been said here many, many times; glass quality trumps magnification.

I was once uneducated and thought a Barska spotter would work, wrong, it's a paper weight. Now I don't even own a spotter, because I know to be satisfied I'll have to spend some serious money. Bottom line is, I'm not much help to you hammer

#5728136 - 05/04/15 08:30 AM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
603Country Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
I still have a Barska, and will agree that it's not much of a spotting scope. But...it will read bullet holes to 200 yards. Can't quite read them at 300 though.

I keep saying that I'll buy a good one, but haven't yet.

#5728225 - 05/04/15 09:16 AM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

I agree ....Tall order indeed ...with all due respect and apologies, you were not the Target Opinion and why I asked THF'ers who'd used the Spotter for input, and did not intend to solicit opinions from any non users. As always though, I do however respect other more experienced contributors opinions as a benchmark to judge my basic paradign against.

This opinion solicitation was my effort to confirm the 360+ very very positive reviews posted on Amazon about this product, with THF local hands on experiences input from people who's background comes closer to mirroring my intended usage patterns.

As was stated initially, I am not looking for 1000 yard glass, anymore than I would go into a McDonalds and look for Kobe steak. Said another way, I'm looking for better than a Yugo and closer to Toyota Corolla/Honda Civic quality glass... if thats possible at under $200.

I also understand that once you've used or owned top grade equipment it's hard to understand why someone with means would use something not comparable. That I am no longer of that level of means has been a revelation and reality check almost beyond my comprehension, hence the effort made to downsize that is about complete, but retain functional quality products that meet my usage paradign.

Since July 2013 it has become a Given that all my leveragable financial resources have been directed at addressing more pressing Medical Issues within my Family's survival. So, I'm being forced to buy less quality products than even what I once would have scoffed at, in every purchasing decision of any kind.

The heyday 1920's gave us magnificent quality consumer products that were able to be afforded by people of newly found means, but 1929's reality check in the Economy made history, and it was thought at the time forever, but Wall Street today looks more like the Roaring Twenty's, generating consumer products than fewer and fewer American's can afford. Oil prices have tanked and the predicted 10 Year Boom lasted 5 years Yadda Yadda Yadda. Federal & State Politicians & the Supreme Court have gutted the safeguards that were put in place to prevent the 1929 experience from re occurring. Consequently I'm buying only what I can afford and pay CASH for, instead of as in past years financing best available products, as long as the product can REALLY perform as advertised.

Re Read my tag line's.
Ron

#5728347 - 05/04/15 10:47 AM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Ron, I hope you know I was just gigging you in the original post, no offense meant.

I've used one "cheap" spotter and it was virtually useless. Since then I have only looked through the midgrade to high grade spotters other people owned. And still have not purchased one for myself because I know me and I know anything les will leave me dissatisfied. So I just save my pennies for when I can get the "right" spotter.

Unfortunately I can't point you to an online purchase you will be happy with, and for you to make a trip to SWFA to test drive some scopes would be an all day affair. I'm inclinded to point you to Vortex, given their reputation for bang for your buck but even then I don't know if they have one that will come in under the $200 mark. I am sure they do not have a 20-60 that is far above that line.

#5728433 - 05/04/15 11:42 AM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

No insult taken or given. cheers

Chairman Mao's Little Red Book tells us ..."that a journey of a 1000 miles starts with but a single step"

I expect a spotting scope of acceptable performance @ the stated goal of "under $200's" will come close to being comparable to that 1000 mile journey...but all I've got is time to look for that "Golden Fleece"

I'll give Neil a call and see what he has to allow. I thought they were going to carry Celestron from what I saw posted earlier this year in Doug's Shot Show threads here and elsewhere, but dinnit find any in the Product List...and how I got to Amazon to begin with as a 2nd tier resource of last resort.

Doantcha just LOVE the Geezery refernces from HS world history and the '60's Pop culture. The BW sez I am getting closer than ever to sounding like my grandfather, who was born in Mequite in 1890.
Ron

#5728486 - 05/04/15 12:28 PM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Used Leupold Ventana

I bought one of these-haven't had a chance to use it yet but I think it will do what you want.

#5728518 - 05/04/15 12:55 PM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
A used vortex diamond back, next step up used Viper HD, next vortex Razor HD, next step lecia, swaro, or zeiss

#5728724 - 05/04/15 03:47 PM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

OK, Now we are getting somewhere with ideas to chase and consider.
Thx
Ron

17 words total... aim

#5728751 - 05/04/15 04:06 PM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Somebody on here suggested this one when I asked the same question a few months back, said it was pretty good:

Konus

#5729276 - 05/04/15 10:29 PM Re: ??? Whats A Good Spotting Scope Under $200 With A Tripod ... [Re: WileyCoyote]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

Spotter prices on the same brand and model are all over the board with no dominant retailer. so this Shopping Expedition is not gonna go as fast as I expected.

Celestron Ultima's name keeps coming up as an upgrade to the under $250/$300 price points but is only shown in their Home Page under Nature products for birders. I know that the Birder market is actually larger than the Hunting segment in participation #s and $ volumes in products sold in the category every year.

Looks like Burris is discontinuing most if not all of their Spotting scopes, except for a single model, from what I could find around the 'net today. I did find a deal on the Burris High Country 20-60x60 & a flimsy looking table top tripod at about the same price as a Celestron Ultima 18-55x65 is on Amazon. The Burris had fair to good but not great reviews is my hangup, but it comes with the Burris Lifetime Warranty too....and the always difficult to reach Cust Svc unit. Hard to get hurt too bad at the price though. Might be worth trying.

Apparently several brands are using the same outsourced spotter mfg'er that Vortex had once used and sold as a now disconinued "Nomad" series. D'Backs are now the bottom of the Vortex Spotter line and using Viper coatings I think.
Ron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide