Print Thread
Shooting a skunk, bad idea? #5720363 04/28/15 08:08 PM
M
Minter66 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
I keep having a skunk that comes around my parents place and it has already sprayed my sisters dog once, good grief she stunk for weeks.

I can't use anything loud as it is within City limits, but I want it dead. Are skunks like a aerosol can, as in, if I shoot with my suppressed 9mm and I hit its "pouch" will it just make the area inhospitable for a while?

Or should I just aim for head/neck and hope for the best?

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5720573 04/28/15 10:08 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Speaking from experience, and bad experience at that, expect it to spray and be happy if it doesn't. And the big point that needs to be made is to be sure the skunk is downwind from the house. That's really important. Trust me.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5720584 04/28/15 10:14 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Only way to avoid the spray is to break the spine with the shot. Even a brain shot will allow a spray if the spine isn't broken. Shoot it in the neck. My Gamo .177 air rifle is sufficient to do it but you could use a .22 CB cap as well.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5721389 04/29/15 01:27 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Shoot it in the head with a .22 mag or something that always works well.

TSmith
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: 603Country] #5721461 04/29/15 02:08 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: 603Country
Speaking from experience, and bad experience at that, expect it to spray and be happy if it doesn't. And the big point that needs to be made is to be sure the skunk is downwind from the house. That's really important. Trust me.

x2 - downwind
there is no 'guarantee' that any specific POI will eliminate a release.

They are easy to trap - then dispatch (covered).
The only 'guarantee' is that you'll wish you sprung($) for the trap AFTER the fact (a release)!
If you are seeing 1, there are likely more around - small trap is good investment.

Even a 'closed up house' will be 'uninhabitable' for a while if release happens close/upwind.

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5721662 04/29/15 04:03 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Live trap it and carry it off and shoot it, or let it wonder off. Approach slowly with a tarp, lay it over the cage and you're GTG.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5721664 04/29/15 04:05 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
set a live trap but tie a very long rope to it first.... have a pond or deep pool of water near by...

Last edited by Navasot; 04/29/15 06:15 PM.
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5721859 04/29/15 05:17 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I've shot several with a 20 gage 870....only had one spray....well aimed shot to the front half shuts 'em down pretty quick!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Navasot] #5721930 04/29/15 06:08 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: Navasot
set a live trap but tie a very long rope to it first.... have a pond or deap pool of water near by...

roflmao

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5722009 04/29/15 06:42 PM
I
indianapigsticker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
its a very bad idea. unless you have a miraculous plan dont do it. speaking from recent experience

A hunt based on only trophies being taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be,time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds,animals, and fish that live there. -Fred Bear
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5723399 04/30/15 02:13 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Just plan on having it spray and shoot it in a position that it won't ruin your day. That or the trap and water idea is pretty fool proof.

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5723564 04/30/15 03:59 PM
M
mreed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
It never fails, they will be upwind of you when you do get a shot, and trapping has its own obvious downfalls, maybe a little gopher poison in some cat food would be your best bet, let him wander off and die somewhere else.

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: mreed] #5723755 04/30/15 05:41 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: mreed
It never fails, they will be upwind of you when you do get a shot, and trapping has its own obvious downfalls, maybe a little gopher poison in some cat food would be your best bet, let him wander off and die somewhere else.

My luck he'd crawl under the house and die!

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #5723820 04/30/15 06:12 PM
M
mreed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: mreed

My luck he'd crawl under the house and die!

That still won't smell as bad as skunk spray, lesser of two evils I suppose

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5724556 05/01/15 04:01 AM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
When I was a kid, my aunt caught one once and took it to the vet and had the scent gland removed. She kept it as a pet in the house for a while. It was very shy and hid under the couch most of the time. To a ten year old boy it was fascinating and pretty neat looking. It finally escaped one time and got out the door.

Now I'd never go near the things. You sure don't want to shoot one when it's close to your house. I'd try the trap idea..........but cover it with a throw-away carpet or a tarp you don't want.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5724827 05/01/15 01:27 PM
M
Minter66 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Thanks for all of the responses. Hopefully it will go and terrorize another house in the neighborhood since it's already had a run in with my sisters dog.

I'm leaving tomorrow with my 2 dogs and so far they haven't gone crazy or come in smelling horribly so I am hoping at this point it has moved on.

If not, and it comes back, I will camp a week in a tree with night vision and end its miserable life.

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5725088 05/01/15 03:53 PM
D
DustyWyoming Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I have never tried this but I've been told if you shoot them in the stomach and they will go off to their den and die.
We trap them and throw a towel over the trap and take them away from the house and then open the trap and let them out then shoot them, that way you stand up wind.

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5725114 05/01/15 04:04 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Just make sure there is no paint cans close if you decide to shoot....to bad he removed the pic of the "crime scene"...grin
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1504703/It_wasn_t_worth_it#Post1504703

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5726604 05/03/15 12:25 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
From a very one on one up close personal experience...

A. ANY skunk that is out and about during bright daylight is ACTIVELY RABID. They don't have to be foaming at the mouth aka "Tertiary" to be able to infect any mammal with Rabies, or spread the Rabies by their liquid transfers left on surfaces, even after the liquid dry's, according to the Health Dept of Carrollton TX & the State of Texas.

B. If you see a skunk out and about, even at nite, that is not able to walk or run with any swaying or stumbling or unable to move about like a cat normally does, it is ACTIVELY RABID.

C. Skunks and some species of Bat's are among the very few mammals that can contract Rabies & have it go "dormant" or not proceed to immediately to an ACTIVE INFECTION. Skunks frequently are rabid, but never go into an active state unless they are agitated. New Home development areas are a prime example of the skunks habitat & dens being torn up and going into an ACTIVE STATE.

D. Any skunk that you are around whose spray scent is more than normally strong smelling, or smells like burning rubber, acting like it blind and running into things or seeking water in places it should be afraid of, or exhibits NO FEAR of Humans, Dogs and other Predators, it is ACTIVELY RABID.

I bought a new house in North Carrollton in the early '80's that backed up to a 6 lane divided street. My house's rear entry alley was screened from the street with an 8' brick wall, but was "vented" along the bottom to allow for elevation change down a hill. The 100-200 acres across the 6 lane street from me was under development with streets, sewers and foundation grading taking place along a wooded small creek bottom that bordered the property & up a rise towards the 6 laner street. The winter before I had worked my 3 English Setters on planted quail in the middle of the weedy fallow pasture and not seen anything wild except an occasional coyote and a family of red fox's that lived by the creek. The following August the ISD estabished 2 school bus stops at either end of my 20 house's on each side to a long block, one for HS'ers and the other for lil kids...and the sidwalk walk in front of me was a traffic jam every morning for about an hour. The 6 laner behind me was like LBJ @ rush hour.

On my 3rd cup of coffee the A/C kicked on stinking like the roof was on fire, and the Setters started howling in their run like they were being killed, and the mean arsed Lhasa house dog was tearing all the paint off the back door growling his head off. So, Ole Stupid here walked out the back door barefoot & wearing some cutoff's and no shirt to see WTH was going on and saw a 12-15+ lb BIG skunk in the Bird Dog run at the BD's Liksit self waterer trying to figure out how to get some water.

I ran him out of the pen with some debris from a flower bed project thru a washout under the outside fence, scrambled thru the house to see where he went and chased him onto my next door neighbore front porch & "pinned" him whipping the neighbors garden hose at him. The BW came out to see what had happened & complain about the A/C stinking, as she was getting dressed, wearing nothing but a dressing gown, undies and barefoot. I "forcefully" instructed her to go get in my suitcase where my "travel companion bed buddy" lived in a Kolpin zippered sleeve, and she came back enpty handed - dinnit know suitcase lock's combination. I ran into the house & returned PDQ with the M60 S&W in it's sleeve to find...that the BW had been tree'd on the hood of my filthy muddy hunting truck and a sidewalk full of young momma's pushing baby carriages taking kindergardener's to the bus stop for the 1st Day of School with all the usual crying, caterwauling and BS that occurs on the 1st Day of School.

Meanwhile the what I believed to be rabid skunk had gone back under the fence into the dog run to escape all the unwanted attention. I wnet back out back, told the BW to call 911 and ran the stinky lil bastid back out front and pinned him again on the neighbors porch with the empty garden hose- he'd removed the handle on the spigot t prevent the N'hood urchins from playing with the water hose in his front yard while he was at work. The BW brought me the phone and said 911 would not respond to a wild animal call and transferred the call to the dog Pound, who would not pick up. I called several times and the argument I had with 911 was about hwhere I lived and whether or not Carrollton or Dallas should respond - the 6 Laner was in Dallas, but about a mile and a half away - and Carrollton would not cover Dallas calls & vice versa for Animal Control.

So I waited until all the kiddo's had gotten on the bus, and the skunk was becoing difficult to keep on the porch, and made a break for it down between the brick house's, with their 8' wide setbacks from the Property Line on each side...and the Bedside Buddy ended all the drama, with one of the best running shot I ever made with it, the Norma 110JHP +P's roared like a 16" Battleship's cannon going off, and the sirens started 30 seconds later with 4 Patrol Cars Responding & Animal Control not far behind. My Lil Buddy went back in his Sleeve and the BW put it back in the suitcase, while Carrollton's finest tried to take me to jail for "Firarms Discharge in the City" until the animal Control showed up and explained to the Finest what I had done was what had to be done...while they diposed of the dead critter and burned their shovel blades clean. The Finest wanted to take a statement & I replied Sure, after I take care of my badly sprayed Bird Dogs that were crying their eyes and aske the Finest for some help loading them in my Hunting truck...you've never seen cops flee anything as fast as that.

Took the dogs to the Vet for Quarateen, and stopped by to "visit" with the Carrollton City Manager on the way home, covered in Skun juice from handling the dogs loading, unloading and securing them while they got theior booster shots. I walked into the old City Hall down by the carrollton Square and assjed a payment teller where the City Manager's Office was, as she ran out the back of her area she pointed down the hall and told the Cit Mgr was out of the day, but the Assistant's Secretary desk was around the corner and shut the door behind her to get away from my smell. I walked pas the Secretary thru an iopne door and leaned across the guy's desk and begin to "'Splain" why I smelled so bad and why his 911 Unit, Police, and Animal Control folks needed some MORE training before they got somebody killed from a Rabies Infection...the coward backed up in his highbacked chair as far away from me as he could get and muttered nuthin' but platitudes and BS.

It was a waste of time, 3 weeks later 2 janitors at the CFBISD Jr High on the Dallas enmd of the 6 Laner behind my house, had to control another Rabid skunk with their push brooms while 650 kids walked with in 10-15 feet of the skunk to get into school 'cause all the other outside doors were locked so kids would go truant after roll call...and Dallas's 911 and Animal Control could not figure out who was responsibilty it was to take the call and refused to cover a Carrollton problem.

State of Texas contcted me for the details, Denton County contacted me several times, and Carrollton Animal Control put out printed warnings all over the neighborhood, and wanted to "educate" me about the reports of a rabid skunk in the neighborhood.

Practicing with my lil BedBuddy, by hunting cottontails with it in briar thickets on the COE land around Lake Dallas every winter, proved to be not just fun, but the best thing I could have done to prepare for this event. BTDT
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5726838 05/03/15 05:19 AM
I
IHateFeralPigs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I
Great story Ron... clap...did you single action that shot on the skunk?....I'm a big believer in your carry gun being " skunk accurate " .... grin

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5726872 05/03/15 10:46 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Why is it that skunk stories are like tequila stories?

wink

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5726893 05/03/15 12:13 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I took the shot DA, as the skunk surprised me coming off the porch as fast as he did... he charged me straight up the sidewalk and only turned to get to the "escape" route when I gave ground at about 5-6 feet away from him I ran the same direction he did, trailing behind him until he cleared the side of the house and gave me the shot with open ground behind him all the way back to the paved alley about 75' away. Those house lots. as I recall, were decent sized at about 125' deep and 75/80' to 100' wide. All of this took place about 30/35' back from the sidewalk that 40-50+ kids, family groups & baby carriages had walked down less than 10-20 minutes earlier while I attempted to keep him from getting loose into the neighborhood. Remember this was in a brand new subdivision in the Heart of North Carrollton's Fertile Valley.

I was wishing my wife had kept her "house gun" handy, a skeet choked 20guage Smith 1000 auto with #9 skeet loads in it, but my kids had had a sleepover 2 days earlier, on Saturday nite, and she had unloaded and buried it in her closet, and we had not finished putting the house back together from having 5-6 extra 12-13 year old very inquisitive boys in the house...and why my travel gun was locked in my suitcase.

If the cops had not taken the A/C guys story, and they did call Dispatch to confirm my story of repeated calls & No Service response's, they'd gotten a real surprise when they inspected my car sitting behind the Hunting Truck, as I had a couple dozen SAKO, Llama, Franchi and the new line of Gaucha Argentine shotguns (now called Stoeger shotguns) samples in the trunk, along with some of my own trade bait shooters I always had around...again to get stuff outta the house over the kid's weekend sleepover. With the intense brief interogation I got in the front yard, while inspecting the fresh dead & still bleeding out skunk's carcase, Carrollton's Finest were still not buying my story and the Sgt was making noise about searching the house and vehicles until their A/C guys showed up and supported my actions.

Syncerus, after I got done taking the bird dogs to the vet and "chatting" with the Asssitant City Mgr, I took a long hot shower in tomatoe juice...twice... and killed most of a 5th of scotch by dark & got the shakes a little realizing I'd allowed that Rabid skunk to charge me as close as 5-6 feet away while bare foot and wearing nothing but cutoffs and no shirt. Ole Stupid does it again.

The Animal Control guys wanted the bullet & got all hinky about not recovering it to prevent the further spread of the infection, they took the neighbors water hose I'd been using that had skunk juice all over it where I'd been hitting him with the end to keep him on the porch. The bullet hit about 18-20"s on the slope in front of my house's foundation in damp dirt, and the bottom of the hole could not be reached with the long end of my car's jack handle down the bullet's track. They were not much into the idea of digging under my foundation to retrieve it either, so it's still there as far as I know. The bullet hole in the damp black gumbo dirt was a perfect smooth track of the fully expanded Norma 110gr JHP....good Self Defense bullets I'd say, leaving a hole bigger almost the size of a half dollar on impact and still bigger thaa quarter further down the hole....started calling the travel gun "Splat".

I hit the skunk too far forward as he suddenly turned left a little, and in his advanced state of Rabies did not run smoothly, but bounced and wobbled continuously, and the bullet caught him just to the right of his left ear and exited under his right eye from about 30-35 feet, and not at the base of his skull & top of his neck like I was holding when the hammer dropped. I think he wanted to fight me again and was turning back on me to avoid from getting any closer and trapped again against the house foundation beside him.

The State of Texas folks contacted me by phone to confirm the Rabies diagnosis & followed with a Letter, and see if I agree'd with the A/C people's report of the incident, that was triggered when they sent the carcass's head sample in for confirmation, and wanted to know what had happened to the bullet to complete the File.

All in all, this was an experience I'd like not to repeat. I heard later that the City of Carrollton folks were not happy with me when it was obvious I'd told this story somewhere, and I had, to one of my son's close friend's daddy, on the sidelines of our kid's soccer game...who worked as a camera operator at a Dallas TV Station, who passed the story to the TV station's investigative reporter 'cause he was pizzed about the 911 Responses, who started asking questions at Carrollton City Hall ... funny how that works when the City's Finest & A/C guys don't do their jobs in a timely manner to keep the Citizens safe, ignoring repeated 911 Calls for help.

After the Rabid Skunk incident at the Jr High down the street couple weeks later got out from other concerned parents ...who'd heard thru the soccer team grapevine what had happened at my house, the TV station started doing Rabid Skunk stories and ran with it occasionaly for a couple months.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5726981 05/03/15 02:05 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
A. ANY skunk that is out and about during bright daylight is ACTIVELY RABID.

This is an issue that came up in my mammalogy course at A&M. While skunks active in the daytime may be rabid (or if active at night, LOL), nursing mother skunks and younger skunks are often out during the daytime, primarily for food. Skunks are crepuscular, not nocturnal. So you should expected to see them out during the daytime, even if they come out earlier than you might expect. In short, daytime behavior is not a sign of rabies.

Quote:
D. Any skunk that you are around whose spray scent is more than normally strong smelling, or smells like burning rubber,

This was really interesting. I am not sure how a person would tell if a given skunk's smell is more than normally strong smelling without first know what the individual skunk's spray smelled like normally. Just like people don't produce the same body odors in the same strengths or values, skunk spray also varies quite a bit regardless of rabies. The components that make of skunk spray smell are volatile and slight changes in composition will result in changes in perceived smell. Simply put, skunks don't all have the same smell in the same intensity.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5727117 05/03/15 04:08 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Spy, I've always suspected that skunks out in daylight early are not necessarily Rabid, but the Ck Off list I got from the State included it, albeit with the caveat that it was only one of several indices. In memorizing the List at the time, in the very early '80's, I got the distinct feeling that the Mobility Issue was the strongest tattletale, haveing witnessed up close the skunk I killed have a great deal of difficulty walking, much less running , and in particular giving the appearance of being blind, and seeking water where it was not usual for him to be ...inside the bird dog run.

Somewhere back then in one of the many handouts we got from various Agencies I saw a "For Instance" explanantion that has stayed with me and went .... "if you see a skunk in bright daylight, that is having trouble walking or whose hips are not working normally and walking/running with a rolling or wobbly gait rather than the house cat like normal gait, and you think it might have been hit by a car, think again ...as it is most likely has just gone Active with a Rabies infection even though it is not foaming at the mouth...

I got drowned in info after the States report was distributed to the pertinent channels, and have never really gotten over the close call and been hyper wary of skunks ever since. My Bird Dogs came out of Quarenteen clean and healthy - cost me a chunk though but the vet billed me at cost too God Bless him, I dinnit get bitten or sprayed, and no one else had to get involved or take a chance on getting hurt by the event. JUST scary as %$#@ during the event when it did not have to go down this way with my involvement at all. I was just appalled at the lacksadasical non professional attitude of local governement's response's until the Media got involved... a month later after the 2nd strikingly similar event at the Jr High. Today Social Media would have a field day with this kind of thing in less than an hour with BREAKING NEWS all over CNN " Animal Control is washing dogs today and refuses to come catch a Rabid Skunk rampaging in North Carrollton" ...FWIW thats the excuse they gave for not answering the emergency phone call from their 911 dispatcher. Oh Well.

Gotta PM syncerus and relate MY Best Tequila story...when we got thrown out of San Marcos - actually escorted to the County Line!!! by the local federales with 4 of us in a Corvette, that was loaded down with 2 cases of Worm Juice hidden in the folds of the convertible top and told not to stop before we got to Dallas and don't come back LOLOLOLOL A for True for True for True Story....'cause I was the littlest one and rode back "sleeping" with my head jammed in to the windshield over the top of the chicken bar my arm was wrapped thru.
Ron

Re: Shooting a skunk, bad idea? [Re: Minter66] #5727425 05/03/15 10:40 PM
B
Believer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
as long as you eat what your shoot I don't see any problem with it eek2

Hogs for a Cause Founder http://www.hogsforacause.org/
NRA Endowment Member
Previous Thread