Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Older than "dirt" version of the Green Thing #5721147 04/29/15 04:40 AM
Rockinmyshoe Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags,because plastic bags are not good for the environment.
The woman apologized to the
young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
The older lady said that she was right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing". The older lady went on to explain:

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days.Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on
electricity.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the"green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart [censored] young person.
We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off... Especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartass who can't make change without the machine telling them how much!

Re: Older than "dirt" version of the Green Thing [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #5721163 04/29/15 05:03 AM
R
RedHoss Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I guess I'm as guilty as the old lady because, just like her, I didn't do the "Green Thing" either back in the day. We did everything the "Old Fashioned" way just like she did. Now "They" say we were wasteful? All we had to work with was common sense but that is gone for the younger generation now.

Re: Older than "dirt" version of the Green Thing [Re: RedHoss] #5721172 04/29/15 05:34 AM
Rockinmyshoe Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: RedHoss
I guess I'm as guilty as the old lady because, just like her, I didn't do the "Green Thing" either back in the day. We did everything the "Old Fashioned" way just like she did. Now "They" say we were wasteful? All we had to work with was common sense but that is gone for the younger generation now.

Amen

Re: Older than "dirt" version of the Green Thing [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #5721285 04/29/15 12:12 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Rockinmyshoe
Originally Posted By: RedHoss

Amen

up

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Older than "dirt" version of the Green Thing [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #5721438 04/29/15 01:59 PM
HuntingTexas Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Love it !!

" In God We Trust "

Re: Older than "dirt" version of the Green Thing [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #5721482 04/29/15 02:19 PM
1okiebirdhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
X2

Re: Older than "dirt" version of the Green Thing [Re: Rockinmyshoe] #5733956 05/08/15 01:36 AM
T
TxTrakr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Amen...X3

"Stand for something, or fall for anything"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide