Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
GuyR, Ahornet55, Hunter307, Desmo, tripntx
60489 Registered Users
Top Posters
dogcatcher 77584
stxranchman 52092
RWH24 44568
rifleman 43790
BOBO the Clown 41127
BMD 40539
Big Orn 37484
txshntr 33685
bill oxner 32705
sig226fan (Rguns.com) 30583
facebook
Forum Stats
60489 Members
45 Forums
476377 Topics
6249353 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#5720397 - 04/28/15 03:29 PM Will this be a disadvantage
titan2232 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Registered: 12/29/14
Posts: 3022
Loc: Conroe, TX
A few weeks I posted about putting up new feeders (corn and protein) with a feed pen since our new Val Verde County place has goats. Well I've recently learned that 80% of our group has elected to only pen around their free choice protein feeders as opposed to both feeders as I've done. Do you guys think these feeders without pens will get more activity or will feeder locations be a bigger influence on deer presence?
_________________________


Top
#5720410 - 04/28/15 03:37 PM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Registered: 01/19/11
Posts: 14616
Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
They'll definitely get more visits, by GOATS. You did the right thing. That's a long way to go to find out that you've been feeding more goats than deer.
_________________________
Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.

Top
#5720417 - 04/28/15 03:40 PM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
George - w/ Map My Ranch Offline
Pro Tracker

Registered: 10/09/12
Posts: 1757
Loc: Houston, Texas
Deer eventually will get use to your fenced in area...took a few months at my place and hit it regularly - some more than the open field ones. I cut a lot of the sections low enough for the younger deer to get in. Where the feeders are is also a determining factor. Hope yours will get more (deer) action!
_________________________
george@mapmyranch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com

"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB

Top
#5720459 - 04/28/15 03:58 PM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
titan2232 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Registered: 12/29/14
Posts: 3022
Loc: Conroe, TX
Yes sir feeding goats is def something I didn't want to do. I've been on exotic ranches where the darn goats would just vacuum the corned roads before any Axis had their shot. Aggravating to say the least.

Hey George I used 34" high hog panel with the advice from the land owner. Think this height will allow all age deer to access or should I still trim a few sections down?
_________________________


Top
#5720461 - 04/28/15 04:00 PM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Registered: 08/04/10
Posts: 52092
I would say nothing but supportive things about the 80% that are only fencing their protein feeders. The other 20% will have all the deer when it gets dry or after the first freeze. The rest will be covered up in goats, hogs, and javis. Thank them after the season is over. up
_________________________


Top
#5720464 - 04/28/15 04:01 PM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Registered: 08/04/10
Posts: 52092
I would go with taller than 34" panels with goats, more like 48" 4"x4"x20' panels. Then cut down a couple areas to 40" as a trial so adult deer can get in.
_________________________


Top
#5721251 - 04/29/15 06:39 AM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
titan2232 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Registered: 12/29/14
Posts: 3022
Loc: Conroe, TX
Not sure if it makes a difference, but these are actually sheep that's on the property. Some sort of Mutton Sheep from what the LO says.
_________________________


Top
#5721279 - 04/29/15 07:08 AM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Registered: 01/08/09
Posts: 8203
Loc: Texas
I'd thank them for sending all the deer your way.

Top
#5721427 - 04/29/15 08:52 AM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
tShawnB Offline
Tracker

Registered: 09/19/12
Posts: 971
Loc: Rolling Plains
Your friends have done you a favor.
_________________________
How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?

Top
#5721441 - 04/29/15 09:01 AM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: stxranchman]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Registered: 04/20/11
Posts: 23592
Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I would say nothing but supportive things about the 80% that are only fencing their protein feeders. The other 20% will have all the deer when it gets dry or after the first freeze. The rest will be covered up in goats, hogs, and javis. Thank them after the season is over. up

^^^
Make sure they know there is a $1000 per day sub-lease to hunt your stand! grin

I would rather have short as possible 4g hog panel, topped wit a few strands of barbed wire, wire will give better if a deer gets it's legs through while jumping. In the past 4 years, we have taken two (1 buck, 1 doe) deer out of our neighbors hog panels, very much alive with 2 very much broken legs. (BTW, his "pen" is to contain his goats in a 1.5 acre parcel)
_________________________
Friends don't let Friends drink and post.......

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis


Top
#5721501 - 04/29/15 09:29 AM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
George - w/ Map My Ranch Offline
Pro Tracker

Registered: 10/09/12
Posts: 1757
Loc: Houston, Texas
Titan - honestly, I'm not sure what the proper height would be, since you have the sheep/goats there...haven't dealt with that issue before. I took 34" panels and cut a few around down to 28-30" or so, And we have never had a hog get into the panels. Seen smaller deer on camera, and never had one hang up. Have found some deer (remains) where they were tied up in our boundary's barbed wire fences. Haven't tried barbed wire around the feeder pens...been a little weary of finding them wrapped up. Seems like they can do that in hog panels too, by the post above. We've had hog panels for over 12 years around our feeders at one ranch without incident. Either way you go, good luck!
_________________________
george@mapmyranch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com

"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB

Top
#5721657 - 04/29/15 11:01 AM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Registered: 04/20/11
Posts: 23592
Loc: Wise County Texas
George, I think it has to do with the height of the fence as to the percentage of deer getting hung up. I see deer in standard BW fence too and most are a normal height of 46-48" total.
_________________________
Friends don't let Friends drink and post.......

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis


Top
#5721676 - 04/29/15 11:08 AM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
titan2232 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Registered: 12/29/14
Posts: 3022
Loc: Conroe, TX
Sounds like a trial and error is underway. I'll stick with the 34" panels for now and check the game cameras in a few months. I didn't have the time to line the panels with mesh so hopefully there's no dead pasture maggots hung up.
_________________________


Top
#5721845 - 04/29/15 12:11 PM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: Western]
George - w/ Map My Ranch Offline
Pro Tracker

Registered: 10/09/12
Posts: 1757
Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: Western
George, I think it has to do with the height of the fence as to the percentage of deer getting hung up. I see deer in standard BW fence too and most are a normal height of 46-48" total.


Gotcha - that makes sense.
_________________________
george@mapmyranch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com

"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB

Top
#5722320 - 04/29/15 04:07 PM Re: Will this be a disadvantage [Re: titan2232]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Registered: 08/04/10
Posts: 52092
If it is sheep only then 34" hog panel will work fine.
_________________________


Top



© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide