Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,997
Posts9,719,289
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Quick question on thermal scope regarding the eyepiece cap... #5716747 04/26/15 03:08 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Is the eyepiece cap necessary or does it serve some function? I was putting on my new MK II and trying to get the eye relief correct and was wondering if the eyepiece cover is necessary.

Thanks!

Re: Quick question on thermal scope regarding the eyepiece cap... [Re: DocHorton] #5716979 04/26/15 06:59 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If you are talking about the eyepiece hood that covers the ocular you view through, a quick answer from my experience is the eyepiece cover thing helps with two things:

1. It helps prevent highlighting the rest of your face when looking through the unit. Not terribly important unless you are hunting smart animals, coyotes especially.

2. Without that cover, I seem to get some "washout" or something that has the ability to make my view less easy to see in both dusk/dawn (low light times) and also during the darkest of the night (no light). With some ambient moon light it doesn't seem to make as big a difference, although it does help tremendously when using it during the daylight hours (don't know anyone who hunts with a thermal during daylight but it is certainly possible).

I am sure more people will chime in with other answers to you, but that's what I have found with thermal devices.

Re: Quick question on thermal scope regarding the eyepiece cap... [Re: DocHorton] #5718610 04/27/15 08:33 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I will add to TB's comments.

1. Some scopes are very bright and so your face may be really lit up without with eye cup.
2. Washout is a very real problem. A buddy of mine found his LWTS did not work in the daytime. That simply wasn't true. He wasn't using an eye cup had the ambient light was so bright that he could not see the image in the LWTS. I draped a towel over his head to act as a hood or sun shade and magically his scope worked anew.

and I will add...

3. Eye cup length is usually the proper eye relief for the scope and so makes attaining the proper eye relief much easier. On some scopes, you lose the ability to see the view screen quickly (in short distance) as you move from the optimal eye relief distance.

4. Keeps things from brushing the ocular, like incidental finger swipes that will produce smudges on the lens.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide