6241986 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5715795 - 04/25/15 09:18 AM Strange game laws and fees
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
While driving down 41 the other day I noticed strange new signs on a new high fence, and then down the road a few miles I noticed the same signs on an older high fenced ranch.

At first I just thought the signs were some excentric new ranch owners until I saw the older ranch with the signs.

A google search showed the reason is that if you release quail etc for shooting, you must post these signs. Has this been a law for some time and I've just been oblivious, or is this a new law?

Seems pretty silly, since "private" can be assumed, and what does stating that "this is a bird hunting area" do??

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdfo...ation_sheet.pdf

Edited by therancher (04/25/15 09:19 AM)
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#5715805 - 04/25/15 09:29 AM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: therancher]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

To me it just lets neighbors or anyone driving by know that the hunting they see out of the normal season is legal within the licensed bird hunting area.

#5715807 - 04/25/15 09:32 AM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: therancher]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants

Loc: Kingwood
Wonder if the signs are provided.

#5715815 - 04/25/15 09:41 AM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: therancher]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
yeah been around for a while.. your also suppose to band the birds and record each one I believe... its a PITA then you get to watch people shoot a bird you just threw in that same spot 30 minutes ago... oh yay so exciting... It wont bother me if I don't shoot a quail ever again

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5715852 - 04/25/15 10:34 AM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: therancher]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Never heard of this?

I was told by an employee at the hunting preserve in Chalk mountain, they used jeeps with "quail cannons" on the front and would "shoot" out quail for those rich fellas to shoot out of a high rack. I don't recall ever seening leg tags or signs when I visited in the mid 90's?

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5715875 - 04/25/15 11:22 AM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: stxranchman]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
To me it just lets neighbors or anyone driving by know that the hunting they see out of the normal season is legal within the licensed bird hunting area.

Ok that makes some sense. Keeps calls to GW's down. Theoretically.
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka

#5715877 - 04/25/15 11:25 AM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: Navasot]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Navasot
yeah been around for a while.. your also suppose to band the birds and record each one I believe... its a PITA then you get to watch people shoot a bird you just threw in that same spot 30 minutes ago... oh yay so exciting... It wont bother me if I don't shoot a quail ever again

I wouldn't let that ruin quail hunting for me. But it sounds like u may have some experience with that that I don't.

#5715878 - 04/25/15 11:30 AM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: therancher]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

I just had never seen signs like that before and it seemed strange.

Another law that I know is not known about or followed closely is the lease license requirement. Over half of the folks I know who lease never even heard of it, or just don't buy them.

IMO it's just another tax on the evil rich landowner.

#5715883 - 04/25/15 11:33 AM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: Western]
Wilhunt Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
Originally Posted By: Western
Never heard of this?

I was told by an employee at the hunting preserve in Chalk mountain, they used jeeps with "quail cannons" on the front and would "shoot" out quail for those rich fellas to shoot out of a high rack. I don't recall ever seening leg tags or signs when I visited in the mid 90's?

What sport is this? Might as well shoot clay pigeons.

#5716267 - 04/25/15 07:22 PM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: Wilhunt]
syncerus Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
What sport is this? Might as well shoot clay pigeons.

How do those clay pigeons taste when you eat them?

wink

#5716360 - 04/25/15 09:31 PM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: therancher]
Halfadozen Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County
Originally Posted By: therancher

Another law that I know is not known about or followed closely is the lease license requirement. Over half of the folks I know who lease never even heard of it, or just don't buy them.

Spot on Rancher. Last 3 leases I have been on the LO did not know about the law.

#5716371 - 04/25/15 09:40 PM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: therancher]
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: West Texas

Doesn't work that way in my part of the world. Game Wardens in our district check for a posted license every time they check out a permanent camp. Temporary campsites on a smaller place are usually ignored but if a place has a permanent camp, we better have a copy of our license posted.

You sure you want to poach on our place?

#5716486 - 04/25/15 11:45 PM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: Halfadozen]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen

Spot on Rancher. Last 3 leases I have been on the LO did not know about the law.

Yep. I have ranches and neighbors in three different regions. Over half of the landowners haven't heard of the law. What saves them is that the wardens really don't enforce it.

#5716489 - 04/25/15 11:49 PM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: aeb]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: aeb

Doesn't work that way in my part of the world. Game Wardens in our district check for a posted license every time they check out a permanent camp. Temporary campsites on a smaller place are usually ignored but if a place has a permanent camp, we better have a copy of our license posted.

Yep. I post it at my big lake ranch. But I don't at the south Texas or hill country place, mainly because I'm at those ranches when someone is hunting there. And it's a very high % of landowners in those areas that don't know about the law.

#5716492 - 04/25/15 11:58 PM Re: Strange game laws and fees [Re: therancher]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Years ago I remember reading about releasing pen raised birds and the possible problems of introducing avian diseases into the local wild bird population. Is this one of the possible reasons for keeping a better control on these types of operations?

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide