Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,994
Posts9,719,269
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Tree planting and summer plot questions. (Dunsten chestnuts and soybeans) #5715666 04/25/15 07:57 AM
1chevypickup Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Ok I know this is a Texas forum, but we have 113 acres of hardwoods near Vicksburg Mississippi. It has a lot of deer on it, but they can be tricky to hunt because there are acorns EVERYWHERE. We have a few small plots, the biggest about 2 acres. I want to plant some soybeans, I know there are some that when the deer eat them before they come up good that they don't come back. I've heard some are made for livestock and will grow back though. Any tips, brands, advice? Theres big soybean fields 1.5 miles north of us. Id like to plant the ones that grow tall and thick.

Also I have a small spot in a steep bottom thats fairly open and is probably 100x50 yards. It is full of deer sign and I really want to try and plant it this year because it's in a great location, but the soil stays wet and it doesnt look like great soil and is full of weeds right now. What will be my best option on what to plant in these conditions?

Ok next are about tree planting. What are yall's thoughts on dunsten chestnuts, persimmons, crabapples, and pear trees planted on the edge of the food plots? I know I'd have to fence them off from deer until they grow to maturity. Advice? What to plant, what to avoid? Planting layout? I know these drop early, but I'm a big bowhunter also.

Re: Tree planting and summer plot questions. (Dunsten chestnuts and soybeans) [Re: 1chevypickup] #5715700 04/25/15 12:19 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Eagle seed soybeans however, you need to be planting them now and they will choose acorns over soybeans. You still need to give the eagle soybeans at least 2 months protection on small plot where there's high deer density. I would plant buck forage oats and winter peas for hunting season. I hunted in Natchez for 6 years until dog hunters ruined our best section. Persimmons will be highly consumed but are short lived, once they fall or ripen they'll be gone in a week unless you have a orchard of them. If you can find a white oak flat that's where you need to be hunting.
I loved the woods on my old place in MS but I have to say after hunting S. TX brush I don't miss MS at all.

Re: Tree planting and summer plot questions. (Dunsten chestnuts and soybeans) [Re: 1chevypickup] #5715707 04/25/15 12:37 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
With a food plot that small and a lot of deer you success with anything you plant will be limited IMO. A 2 acre plot can only take care of 6-10 deer. IME you plant 2-3 acres and it gets going well, then 25-30+ deer find it and wipe it out in a week. If you can, I would use an electric fence system(Plot Saver, etc) designed to keep deer off of the plot till you are ready to hunt it. I would time my planting accordingly so that I have the growth I need. With just about any pea or bean you will have slow growth the first 2 weeks or so as the plant puts a root system down. When the plant puts out the first two leaves it then starts the deep taproot system. If a deer bites those two leaves off usually you won't get any new leaf growth. There are forage Soybeans, like Laredo that are available in Texas that take grazing pressure better more than trying to make a bean crop. There are varities of Roundup Ready soybeans that will take grazing pressure better than others. I bought one variety out of Canada that was pretty good. I use Hutchinson now that seems to take a bit of grazing pressure.
I would look into Perennial type clovers, alfalfa, Chicory, etc that can be planted. Some can take a bit more grazing pressure than others. Depending on when the acorns are dropping then you could time your planting to let the acorns help you establish the plot.
With any tree that is mast bearing, I think you would want those trees that produce a mast crop that is ripe right when hunting season is starting. Local county agent or NRCS agent could be of great benefit if they are available.
You could also look at fertilizing certain trees to help boost production and taste quality of those acorns.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Tree planting and summer plot questions. (Dunsten chestnuts and soybeans) [Re: 1chevypickup] #5715709 04/25/15 12:44 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
You need to get a soil sample 1st, at least for the trees. I was going to plant a few Dunstons, but they like acidic soil and mine is neutral, I don't want to fiddle with the soil for next 40 years. Crabapples are good and will pollinate some other apple tree types. Also consider where you want to plant the fruit trees, they like at least 6 hrs of direct sun, more is better. Pears are another great deer draw, maybe the best out of soft fruits, just get several cultivars that grow in your zone for heavier production.

I know deer like honey suckle, but you probably have that already.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Tree planting and summer plot questions. (Dunsten chestnuts and soybeans) [Re: 1chevypickup] #5718673 04/27/15 09:04 PM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
If there are acorns everywhere, then I would not plant any more acorns if it were me. I'd start with crabapples, and plenty of them. I've been told they are deer candy......I planted some on my place this year.....you can buy seedlings of them by the hundreds for pretty cheap...I bought them for $60 per hundred. If you plant enough you won't have to fence them. The disadvantage is that it will take a few years for them to mature.

Persimmons are OK, but they have male and female trees, so you have to plant them in bunches and only the females will fruit. Pears are very hardy trees that don't tke much care.....but most of the ones you find are grafted for planting in yards and will be more expensive. If you can a find large quantity of pear seedlings, that would be worth planting.

You can also try mulberries.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Tree planting and summer plot questions. (Dunsten chestnuts and soybeans) [Re: 1chevypickup] #5719329 04/28/15 03:56 AM
1chevypickup Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Thanks guys, will consider all of this. Any suggestions on what to do in that bottom?

Re: Tree planting and summer plot questions. (Dunsten chestnuts and soybeans) [Re: 1chevypickup] #5719613 04/28/15 01:04 PM
H
huntindude Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
I planted some dunstans (hybrid chestnut) last winter (jan 14), watered, then fenced them . So far they are growing. Planted 5 of various ages of growth. The older ones seems to be doing the best. Watering them is a must if you dont get at least an inch of rain per week the first year. This year Im not watering them, but they're still fenced. If they die because of lack of water, then they werent suppose to be planted in my zone. Unless we experience another 2011. We have plenty of red oaks. Planted some white oaks before 2011. Most of those died in 2011, but 5-6 survived. Looking good too.
In east Texas this is going to a great spring for newly planted trees. All recently planted pines, oaks and the dunstans are looking great. Some oaks I planted years ago have acorns growing for the first time. Im pumped.
Whatever you do, make sure you keep an eye on thing the first year. The first year is very important.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide