Forum Stats
60442 Members
45 Forums
475817 Topics
6242025 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5715641 - 04/25/15 12:01 AM What's the dog policy on a hunting lease?
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hurst
By dog policy I mean a random dog showing up on your trail cam.

I have what looks to be a khaki dog on my trail cam. It's hard to tell if it's wild or not. The pictures are too far away to tell if it has a collar. I would sure hate to shoot a neighbors dog...

What's y'all's policy?

#5715695 - 04/25/15 07:09 AM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
spg Offline
Tracker

I hope you don't have the problem I had when I leased land in Southern MS. You can't win with dog hunters even on your own property. Best thing to do is file a police report, catch the dog hopefully it has a tag on the collar and turn it in to the police. At least that way there's documentation, if it keeps happening usually the police will confiscate all dogs from the owner. It takes alot for me to shoot a dog so I wouldn't shoot it just for showing up, if it was aggressive probably would take it out, I have young kids that hunt with me and mingle around the camp and we are a long way from the hospital can't take any chances.

#5715696 - 04/25/15 07:12 AM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

First time I would try to find the owner and tell them to keep their dog on their property. I then explain to them what will happen if it continues.

#5715718 - 04/25/15 08:00 AM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Dealing with dog owners is worse than dealing with the dog in my experience. I have learned years ago not to tell a dog owner I would personally destroy a dog (unless it is aggressive), if it runs 5 miles away and gets hit by a car, you will be blamed. I tell them there are coyote traps and many "other" hunters in the area, plus I do not want their dog on my land. An aggressive dog is easy, BOOM.

SSS is still the easiest way with less drama. I have let many a dog walk that was an obvious "pet" that may have just got out an open gate. Then there are the ones that are owned by nut-jobs that feel a "country dog" should be able to go any where and do anything, those are the ones that become a problem.

Then being in the country, you get all those "dropped off" dogs that where cute when they got'm, but now require "to much attention" Those are the sad cases for me. I would be embarrassed to say how many I have destroyed and each time bothers me as I like a good dog, would also be embarrassed to admit how many I have let walk as well.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5715766 - 04/25/15 08:50 AM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Western]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
I guess I'm pretty blessed that my places are so far out in the boonies that neighbor or stray hunting dogs are never an issue. Yotes would clean them up before I'd have to as well.

Edited by therancher (04/25/15 08:51 AM)
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#5715778 - 04/25/15 09:05 AM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: therancher]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: therancher
I guess I'm pretty blessed that my places are so far out in the boonies that neighbor or stray hunting dogs are never an issue. Yotes would clean them up before I'd have to as well.

Rusty, when we had a bit more land, our closes neighbor was about 3/4-1 mile, only ever dealt with their dogs one time in over 10 years. The ones I dealt with there, where the ones folks "dumped" , cause you know everyone in the country needs more dogs rolleyes

Where I am now, we have a county leash law and yet morons allow their dogs to roam free half the time. I hardly fool with yotes now, as the roaming bulldogs (pitts and X's) cause a bigger headache, the yotes I could catch pretty easy here.

Dennis

#5715802 - 04/25/15 09:23 AM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Western]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
Yep that would suck western. The long drive to the end of the road doesn't seem so bad anymore.
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#5715881 - 04/25/15 11:31 AM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
I have had way too many sheep killed or maimed and a few Ibex killed. A neighbor had 17 goats killed in one night. And this was by so call pet dogs. In the past I talked to neighbors about keeping their "pets" at home. That usually went over like a lead balloon. Now the only way a dog leaves here is if I miss it. The talking days were over a long time ago.

#5715895 - 04/25/15 11:54 AM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...

http://www.hcpawpals.org/TexasAnimalLaws.aspx

Quote:
3) Shooting “stray” Dogs and Cats (Penal Code 42.09 Animal Cruelty). Any person who shoots a non-livestock animal, which includes any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured, can be charged with a felony offense. Penal Code 42.092 of the State of Texas law states that a person must have the owner’s consent to kill the animal (exceptions to prosecution are provided in Section 42.092(e)(1)). It is clear that a “stray” dog or cat either has no owner or that the person who shoots the animal did not get the owner’s consent.

The defense under Section 42.092(e)(1) is in this link http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/PE/9/42/42.092

Quote:
(e) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (b)(2) or (6) that:

(1) the animal was discovered on the person's property in the act of or after injuring or killing the person's livestock animals or damaging the person's crops and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery;

or(2) the person killed or injured the animal within the scope of the person's employment as a public servant or in furtherance of activities or operations associated with electricity transmission or distribution, electricity generation or operations associated with the generation of electricity, or natural gas delivery.(

See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/PE/9/42/42.092#sthash.rdwmP0Aa.dpuf

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5715945 - 04/25/15 12:59 PM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Pretty selective DC

iirc it would only be a state jail felony, after 2 prior convictions.

Edited by Western (04/25/15 01:00 PM)

Dennis

#5715952 - 04/25/15 01:11 PM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

That is why you S S S. Nobody knows nothing.

#5715980 - 04/25/15 01:45 PM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: don k]
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: don k
That is why you S S S. Nobody knows nothing.

Exactly. I didn't see or hear anything.

#5716306 - 04/25/15 08:06 PM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hurst
Thanks for all the input! Hopefully the dog doesn't come back around so I don't have to worry about it. I will keep my eyes peeled and if I see a wild dog without a collar I will just have to make a split decision.

#5716358 - 04/25/15 09:29 PM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

A person has to do what he has to do. It may offend some but there is an easy solution. Keep track of your dogs. If you loose a dog it is no ones fault but yours.

#5716646 - 04/26/15 09:00 AM Re: What's the dog policy on a hunting lease? [Re: Gone to Texas]
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew

Loc: Grayson County
On our lease we can use our tags, and wild varmits. I would not shoot a dog, but would call the ranch manager if there was a problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide