Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? #5711298 04/22/15 02:16 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I picked up a circa 2007 Guns and Ammo "best of" magazine at deer camp the other day and read an article titled Best Bolt Action gun of the Century.

The "run away winner" was the SIG Blaser R93.

Never heard of them did a little research on the I-net and I like the innovation of the action and mount system.

Anybody know of a US remake or custom action builder who uses that action?

And why are the Blaser gun so expensive?

HTXH

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5711328 04/22/15 02:28 PM
6.5x47Lapua Offline
Tracker
Tracker
nope.

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5711391 04/22/15 02:56 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Not as of yet.

I'd like to see someone here come out with a similar rifle. The Blasers and Merkel Helix type rifles are very cool for sure, and I'd love to have one. The price on those jokers keeps me from taking the plunge, though. Look on YouTube and search "Aimpoint Hans Albriecht" for some really awesome European driven hog hunting vids with rifles of that type (I think he uses a Sauer rifle most of the time).

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5711392 04/22/15 02:56 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I don't know of anything made in the U.S, but I have a friend who owns a Blaser. That thing is incredibly smooth. It is an extremely nice action. Seems like he paid something like 6 grand for his if I remember right. Takes it to Africa and has multiple barrels for it. woot

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5711408 04/22/15 03:06 PM
6.5x47Lapua Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Straight pull actions truly are a thing of beauty.

If you want a cheaper one just go buy you a swiss k31. Couple hundred dollars, and they are works of art.

Pick up 3 or 4 cases of gp11 ammo, and shoot to your hearts content.

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5711470 04/22/15 03:50 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I just don't see the value in something like that. For that money you can buy a really nice battery of 3-4 rifles that will cover all your needs, and in the event you find you don't need/use one of them, you can divest and still have the others.

I could see them making sense if you were traveling a lot (and I mean A LOT) because the extra barrels take up much less space than extra complete rifles, and you could save some on glass.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5711477 04/22/15 03:56 PM
2000cbr929 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs
I picked up a circa 2007 Guns and Ammo "best of" magazine at deer camp the other day and read an article titled Best Bolt Action gun of the Century.

The "run away winner" was the SIG Blaser R93.

Never heard of them did a little research on the I-net and I like the innovation of the action and mount system.

Anybody know of a US remake or custom action builder who uses that action?

And why are the Blaser gun so expensive?

HTXH

Because they are an engineering marvel..........My R8 is disassembled into several parts that are carried in a relatively small Pelican case, reassembled when I get where I am going and that thing shoots lights out every time. Unbelievable feat if you ask me. The straight bolt and interchangeable calibers makes it even that much more cool. I kinda like mine. smile

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money" Tom T Hall
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5711485 04/22/15 04:01 PM
C
CMIV Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Blaser makes some awesome shotguns and rifles, I have one of there shotguns and had a .308. Rifle shot really well just wasn't a fan of the caliber and someone wanted it worse than i did.

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5712497 04/23/15 02:39 AM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
They are high $ because they are worth it! You can drive a 1970 VW beetle, that will get you to work. OR you can buy 930 turbo Porsche, enjoy it, and still have valuable asset when you are done with it.

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5712570 04/23/15 04:00 AM
N
nsmike Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
One of the reason that you have the Blazer, Mauser, and Merkel interchageable barrel systems, is that in some European countries they are limited in the number of firearms they can own. With one registration they can cover a range of possibilities. In Europe inovation in hunting rifles is rewarded, here, a majority of innovation is directed towards target shooters.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5712708 04/23/15 12:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
They are excellent rifles and the "takedown" feature is great for the traveling hunter. I am a traditionalist and do not like their looks. So I have no interest in one. But that's me.

I do not believe there is a good substitute for them due to their unique design and high quality.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5712892 04/23/15 02:11 PM
R
RifleDude Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
No, nobody uses the Blaser straight pull actions except Blaser, and there is no equivalent here. It's a unique design to them.

Blaser also makes a nifty single shot rifle, the K-95. I have a K-95 Luxus, and it is a beautifully made, well-engineered rifle that shoots great! It takes down and fits into an incredibly tiny case that you'd never guess contains a rifle. Mine is pictured below.

As far as price is concerned, yes they're very expensive, but they are very high quality guns. The price is largely due to lower production volume compared to domestic mass produced guns, more labor intensive hand fitting and finishing operations, and the labor and import costs of items from Germany. Whether the price is "worth it" is something only the individual can determine.

Ted
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5712988 04/23/15 03:14 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have a Blaser R-93 and HAD cry a K-95. The R-93 is a 300 Win Mag and shoots lights out. Mine is just the basic synthetic stock. I paid much less than what they are going for now back in 2002. The k-95 was in a 300 WSM and was a dream to shoot. Light weight and accurate. Wish I'd never sold it.
Compact packing is just a small part of it. I wish someone stateside would come out with a viable option on the style, I think there would be a small, but profitable, market for them here.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: Bbear] #5713003 04/23/15 03:24 PM
R
RifleDude Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted By: Bbear
The k-95 was in a 300 WSM and was a dream to shoot. Light weight and accurate. Wish I'd never sold it.
Compact packing is just a small part of it. I wish someone stateside would come out with a viable option on the style, I think there would be a small, but profitable, market for them here.

Someone has. It's called the Luxus Arms model 11. It's a break action like the K-95, and based on the samples I've seen, it seems to be well-made. It's not as sleek and compact as the Blaser K95, and I don't personally care for the external hammer cocking lever on the side of the receiver, but they typically have very nice wood and fit and finish is very good.

http://www.luxusarms.com/

Ted
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: RifleDude] #5713169 04/23/15 05:04 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: RifleDude
The k-95 was in a 300 WSM and was a dream to shoot. Light weight and accurate. Wish I'd never sold it.

Someone has. It's called the Luxus Arms model 11. It's a break action like the K-95, and based on the samples I've seen, it seems to be well-made. It's not as sleek and compact as the Blaser K95, and I don't personally care for the external hammer cocking lever on the side of the receiver, but they typically have very nice wood and fit and finish is very good.

So I can get a TC and a barrel in every caliber Luxus offers and still have money left over?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5713173 04/23/15 05:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yes, but you will still have a TC.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5713187 04/23/15 05:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

So I can get a TC and a barrel in every caliber Luxus offers and still have money left over?

Correct and you can send your frame off to be engraved and buy custom/ fancy wood but you will still have external hammer lock time. Nothing wrong with it if you can get use to it. You will also have an easier time moving it if you decide to sale

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5713559 04/23/15 09:24 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I love those Blaser straight pull bolt guns. I just don't think I could ever justify the price. Maybe one day they will become more streamline and the price will drop some.

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5713603 04/23/15 09:44 PM
R
RifleDude Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R

Probably so. You'll never justify the price difference of expensive guns vs. mass-produced guns based solely on function alone.

You can buy 8 Ford F150 trucks for the price of 1 Ferrari 488 GTB, but in both cases, it's not an equivalent comparison. Sure, both will transport you from point A to point B, but that's where the similarity ends. The same comparison applies to mass produced vs. custom, semi-custom, and high-end guns. If you view firearms strictly as tools and place no value on nice wood, hand fitting, precise machining, superb fit and finish, and good craftsmanship, then of course you will never see the value of such a gun. That's not a bad thing by any means, as everyone has different likes, dislikes, and priorities. I have no interest in $65K bass boats; I can catch bass just fine out of an aluminum Jon boat with a 15 horse outboard.

But then, this is a thread about Blasers, which are also very expensive, niche rifles.

Ted
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5713658 04/23/15 10:23 PM
HuntTXhogs Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
I suppose what I am failing to reconcile at this point is how some Blaser straight pull bolt actions are 2895.00 and most are 5 k and then some are 8 - 28 k.

Once in to the Blaser "family" why does the price cover such a wide swath when it appears, at least to an ignorant fella like myself, that minimal differences exist between models.

Examples:

The new R8 Professional S will share many of the features that exist in our current R8 line with the exception of removable trigger/magazine housing. The new R8 Professional S is loaded or unloaded through the ejection port just as the original R93. Sure handling is assured with the elastomer inlays featured in the traditional brown/black stock. All existing barrels, bolt assemblies and scope mounts will function flawlessly in the new platform. $ 2895.00 to get in the game

The Blaser R8 Classic Sporter rifle features a grade 4 wood classic silhouette stock, Prince of Wales grip, rigby style cheek piece, rubber recoil pad, and a "Classic Sporter" pistol grip cap. $ 4607.00 for what appears to amount to a wood stock and removable magazine box and trigger group.

Last edited by HuntTXhogs; 04/23/15 11:44 PM.
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5713703 04/23/15 10:50 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Not that bad of a price when I see dudes on here paying $5000 for custom rifle with $1800 worth of parts. A much better value.

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5713713 04/23/15 10:57 PM
R
RifleDude Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Have you priced high grade walnut lately? Once you get above AAA into the exhibition grades, especially in European and Turkish walnut, price quickly gets into the realm of breath-taking! A stock blank of exhibition or "special select" grade of English, Turkish, Circassian, etc. walnut can easily exceed the cost of most complete domestic factory rifles...for the unfinished wood blank alone!

Once you start adding options to Blasers -- higher wood grades, engraving, octagon barrel, etc. the price starts climbing astronomically. I do believe the price premium Blaser asks for on some of their options is awfully steep, but it is what it is.

Ted
Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: RifleDude] #5714199 04/24/15 04:10 AM
Q
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q

Probably so. You'll never justify the price difference of expensive guns vs. mass-produced guns based solely on function alone.

You can buy 8 Ford F150 trucks for the price of 1 Ferrari 488 GTB, but in both cases, it's not an equivalent comparison. Sure, both will transport you from point A to point B, but that's where the similarity ends. The same comparison applies to mass produced vs. custom, semi-custom, and high-end guns. If you view firearms strictly as tools and place no value on nice wood, hand fitting, precise machining, superb fit and finish, and good craftsmanship, then of course you will never see the value of such a gun. That's not a bad thing by any means, as everyone has different likes, dislikes, and priorities. I have no interest in $65K bass boats; I can catch bass just fine out of an aluminum Jon boat with a 15 horse outboard.

But then, this is a thread about Blasers, which are also very expensive, niche rifles.

That's not really a fair comparison, though. I can get an $600-$800 combo that will shoot just as well as the Blaser. I can't get an F150 that'll do 210 mph, 0-60 in 2.5 secs, etc. the Blaser is a gun, it goes bang just like any other gun in the same caliber.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs] #5714327 04/24/15 11:41 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
All true. Which is the reason that, while I have some very nice rifles, I will probably never spend anything north of 2K on a working rifle.

But none of it will go for a TC. They're just a product of blanket marketing in the Shockey and Waddell generation IMO.

Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5714384 04/24/15 12:27 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

That's not really a fair comparison, though. I can get an $600-$800 combo that will shoot just as well as the Blaser. I can't get an F150 that'll do 210 mph, 0-60 in 2.5 secs, etc. the Blaser is a gun, it goes bang just like any other gun in the same caliber.

It's the same premise with most luxury items. You can also buy a Casio and tell time for $20 or you can get a Rolex that will do the same thing, you can write with a Bic pen or a Mont Blanc, or you can drink Heaven Hill whiskey or Crown Reserve. The difference is usually noticeable in attention to detail, fit and finish, quality of materials used, and most likely longevity. I doubt you would pass your Casio down to your kids, but many do that with fine timepieces. Same with nice guns....for some, money is not the object, it is the satisfaction of owning something more special than just a tool and doing it with style.

BTW, Rifledude, that is a beautiful rifle, that wood stock is amazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide