Forum Stats
60449 Members
45 Forums
475962 Topics
6243650 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5711298 - 04/22/15 09:16 AM What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser?
HuntTXhogs Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Ft Worth
I picked up a circa 2007 Guns and Ammo "best of" magazine at deer camp the other day and read an article titled Best Bolt Action gun of the Century.

The "run away winner" was the SIG Blaser R93.

Never heard of them did a little research on the I-net and I like the innovation of the action and mount system.

Anybody know of a US remake or custom action builder who uses that action?

And why are the Blaser gun so expensive?

HTXH

#5711328 - 04/22/15 09:28 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
6.5x47Lapua Offline
Tracker

Loc: dfw
nope.

#5711391 - 04/22/15 09:56 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas.
Not as of yet.

I'd like to see someone here come out with a similar rifle. The Blasers and Merkel Helix type rifles are very cool for sure, and I'd love to have one. The price on those jokers keeps me from taking the plunge, though. Look on YouTube and search "Aimpoint Hans Albriecht" for some really awesome European driven hog hunting vids with rifles of that type (I think he uses a Sauer rifle most of the time).

#5711392 - 04/22/15 09:56 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: D/FW, TX
I don't know of anything made in the U.S, but I have a friend who owns a Blaser. That thing is incredibly smooth. It is an extremely nice action. Seems like he paid something like 6 grand for his if I remember right. Takes it to Africa and has multiple barrels for it. woot

#5711408 - 04/22/15 10:06 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
6.5x47Lapua Offline
Tracker

Loc: dfw
Straight pull actions truly are a thing of beauty.

If you want a cheaper one just go buy you a swiss k31. Couple hundred dollars, and they are works of art.

Pick up 3 or 4 cases of gp11 ammo, and shoot to your hearts content.

#5711470 - 04/22/15 10:50 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I just don't see the value in something like that. For that money you can buy a really nice battery of 3-4 rifles that will cover all your needs, and in the event you find you don't need/use one of them, you can divest and still have the others.

I could see them making sense if you were traveling a lot (and I mean A LOT) because the extra barrels take up much less space than extra complete rifles, and you could save some on glass.

#5711477 - 04/22/15 10:56 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
2000cbr929 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Palo Pinto County
Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs
I picked up a circa 2007 Guns and Ammo "best of" magazine at deer camp the other day and read an article titled Best Bolt Action gun of the Century.

The "run away winner" was the SIG Blaser R93.

Never heard of them did a little research on the I-net and I like the innovation of the action and mount system.

Anybody know of a US remake or custom action builder who uses that action?

And why are the Blaser gun so expensive?

HTXH

Because they are an engineering marvel..........My R8 is disassembled into several parts that are carried in a relatively small Pelican case, reassembled when I get where I am going and that thing shoots lights out every time. Unbelievable feat if you ask me. The straight bolt and interchangeable calibers makes it even that much more cool. I kinda like mine. smile

After eating Payne's sausage I don't know if I can go back to the regular store bought stuff.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money" Tom T Hall

#5711485 - 04/22/15 11:01 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
CMIV Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Tomball, TX
Blaser makes some awesome shotguns and rifles, I have one of there shotguns and had a .308. Rifle shot really well just wasn't a fan of the caliber and someone wanted it worse than i did.

#5712497 - 04/22/15 09:39 PM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mesquite
They are high $ because they are worth it! You can drive a 1970 VW beetle, that will get you to work. OR you can buy 930 turbo Porsche, enjoy it, and still have valuable asset when you are done with it.

Lifetime NRA member

#5712570 - 04/22/15 11:00 PM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
nsmike Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: MN
One of the reason that you have the Blazer, Mauser, and Merkel interchageable barrel systems, is that in some European countries they are limited in the number of firearms they can own. With one registration they can cover a range of possibilities. In Europe inovation in hunting rifles is rewarded, here, a majority of innovation is directed towards target shooters.

#5712708 - 04/23/15 07:09 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
They are excellent rifles and the "takedown" feature is great for the traveling hunter. I am a traditionalist and do not like their looks. So I have no interest in one. But that's me.

I do not believe there is a good substitute for them due to their unique design and high quality.

#5712892 - 04/23/15 09:11 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
RifleDude Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Brenham, TX
No, nobody uses the Blaser straight pull actions except Blaser, and there is no equivalent here. It's a unique design to them.

Blaser also makes a nifty single shot rifle, the K-95. I have a K-95 Luxus, and it is a beautifully made, well-engineered rifle that shoots great! It takes down and fits into an incredibly tiny case that you'd never guess contains a rifle. Mine is pictured below.

As far as price is concerned, yes they're very expensive, but they are very high quality guns. The price is largely due to lower production volume compared to domestic mass produced guns, more labor intensive hand fitting and finishing operations, and the labor and import costs of items from Germany. Whether the price is "worth it" is something only the individual can determine.

#5712988 - 04/23/15 10:14 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: HuntTXhogs]
Bbear Offline
Tracker

Loc: West Texas
I have a Blaser R-93 and HAD cry a K-95. The R-93 is a 300 Win Mag and shoots lights out. Mine is just the basic synthetic stock. I paid much less than what they are going for now back in 2002. The k-95 was in a 300 WSM and was a dream to shoot. Light weight and accurate. Wish I'd never sold it.
Compact packing is just a small part of it. I wish someone stateside would come out with a viable option on the style, I think there would be a small, but profitable, market for them here.

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Stupidity is the deliberate cultivation of ignorance

#5713003 - 04/23/15 10:24 AM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: Bbear]
RifleDude Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Brenham, TX
Originally Posted By: Bbear
The k-95 was in a 300 WSM and was a dream to shoot. Light weight and accurate. Wish I'd never sold it.
Compact packing is just a small part of it. I wish someone stateside would come out with a viable option on the style, I think there would be a small, but profitable, market for them here.

Someone has. It's called the Luxus Arms model 11. It's a break action like the K-95, and based on the samples I've seen, it seems to be well-made. It's not as sleek and compact as the Blaser K95, and I don't personally care for the external hammer cocking lever on the side of the receiver, but they typically have very nice wood and fit and finish is very good.

http://www.luxusarms.com/

#5713169 - 04/23/15 12:04 PM Re: What is the USA equivalent to the German Blaser? [Re: RifleDude]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: RifleDude
Originally Posted By: Bbear
The k-95 was in a 300 WSM and was a dream to shoot. Light weight and accurate. Wish I'd never sold it.

Someone has. It's called the Luxus Arms model 11. It's a break action like the K-95, and based on the samples I've seen, it seems to be well-made. It's not as sleek and compact as the Blaser K95, and I don't personally care for the external hammer cocking lever on the side of the receiver, but they typically have very nice wood and fit and finish is very good.

http://www.luxusarms.com/

So I can get a TC and a barrel in every caliber Luxus offers and still have money left over?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide