Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5711374 04/22/15 02:48 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Looking forward to the weekend of May 8-10th, Mike.. wish it would hurry up and get here wink

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5711464 04/22/15 03:44 PM
J
jrgocards Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
JR,

I hope you get the couple to comply with the rules. Might be that they are just the type of people that don't believe that rules apply to them. We all know people like them.

JR

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: jrgocards] #5712292 04/23/15 12:31 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
You will find over the years that no one will treat what you sweated blood for as well as you would like them to.

It was easy for me to be the bad guy. It's in my genes.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5712319 04/23/15 12:48 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
Looking forward to the weekend of May 8-10th, Mike.. wish it would hurry up and get here wink

Russ
I'm packed and ready to go too up

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: Erathkid] #5714868 04/24/15 05:45 PM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I have a similar situation on 250+ acres a bit south of you where I have a few guys help with the 'heavy lifting' and wildlife management for hunting priviledges. I've had to show a few folks the gate over the years. I can tolerate a lot, but when I catch folks lieing to my face, or knowingly going against my clear wishes, or simply being high maintenance and making me work harder rather than easier, its time to part ways.

My read on your situation based on what I've read is that the offenders are not being straight with you, and clearly have no respect for your wishes, and that's not likely to change. It seems some folks were just put on this earth to take advantage of others. It's your place to enjoy, and they have no right to make it an aggravation for you. I personally would recommend a clean break. Here'show it could go: "Look Guys, its clear that that of all the folks out here we have different hunting/ranch philosophies. Since you seem to ignore what I ask and do your own thing, perhaps you would be happier someplace else. Been nice, and best of luck on your next place." I can tell you its not an easy thing to do, but a huge relief when its done. And once you have shown that you can only be pushed so far, it tends to get everyone else's attention and they realizes you are serious and not just making noise about rules and stuff.

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5717935 04/27/15 01:05 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Okay,

So.. update - I have a text into two of the folks. (there are three of them).

I sent the rules out.

One helped with them and totally gets it. He is the real "worker" of the three.

The 2nd one is like a brother to #1. HE was like, "man.. here we go.. all of a sudden we have rules".. and #3 explained why we had the rules and what they were and he SEEMED okay with them, but I am going to chat and lay it all down for him.

#1 is the one breaking all the rules and the cornerstone for them. He and his wife... complaints and breaking of rules by them and all the drama.

I am going to lay it all out for them and let them know, "look.. we bought this ranch for us and our friends, of which you guys are part of. We do not expect you guys to invite us for a weekly dinner etc.. but we DO expect that you spend time with us at the ranch. We do expect that if you spend 20-ish days at the ranch in a year, that at least half is TRIED to spend with us, not 10%.

The entire thing started over the last week of December. That is MY week. I live for that week.. cool... not hot, quiet.. deer season.

They asked for that week to spend with family and friends. I said no. They got offended. They ended up coming out the 4-5 days PRIOR to that.

Add that to all the rest and, I am going to tell them. This is our ranch. If you want a place for you and YOUR friends, then go buy a ranch.. I'll even help you find a place...but enough is enough.

So.. we will see what they say. I may lose two friends, but that will have been their choice.

Russ

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5717957 04/27/15 01:22 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Now that I hear the rest of the story, that couple needs to go. Friends like that are not worth worryingly about hurting their feelings. They are taking advantage of your kindness.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5717961 04/27/15 01:25 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Now that I hear the rest of the story, that couple needs to go. Friends like that are not worth worryingly about hurting their feelings. They are taking advantage of your kindness.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5717964 04/27/15 01:27 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Man, I could not buy a place and foot the bills then allow my friends to use it as they please without strict rules that I set into place. Allowing them to go whenever they want and then bring their friends would not work for me. The have full run of your place it seems. Take back the control of your place.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5717991 04/27/15 01:46 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I just talked to guy #2 and he is totally good. He agrees with the rules and now understands why they were put out there.

So, all that is left is guy #1. Will see whether he gets upset.

I suspect he will get offended and I know his wife will.

That will be the end of that, more than likely.

Been too long coming and will be nice to put it all in the open and get it done and over with.

R

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718017 04/27/15 02:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
John you sound like a great guy with a big heart. But there is no need to agonize over your decisions about how to run your own place. Period. It is yours. Folks should respect that.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5718105 04/27/15 03:04 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
John you sound like a great guy with a big heart. But there is no need to agonize over your decisions about how to run your own place. Period. It is yours. Folks should respect that.

No doubt, but shows lots of character that he does care. You can do the right thing and do it like an arse hole and make it not so great a thing.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718121 04/27/15 03:15 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Be a lot less stress on you once it's said and done with. Moochers are gonna mooch. You have a way bigger heart and are a lot less "possessive" of your place than I am.

I just have to deal with an elderly father-in-law that refuses to tell me when he's going up to my place to hunt, alone, no matter how many times I ask him. It doesn't hurt anything really, except a couple of times I've showed up to hunt and had to quietly back out. Stubborn old man will not take any help. I've tried to warn everyone that there's always a chance he'll get into trouble up there and that will be that. There's stubborn, then there's stupid stubborn. He is the latter and it will quite likely be the cause of his demise.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718194 04/27/15 03:55 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Okay, I spoke with the last guy. I flat out told him we started this 'journey' as a team, but he and only he was the one breaking the rules. He owned up to it and said I was totally right. I told him the rules are going to be posted because of what has happened since December and that it was so there could be no more 'confusion'. He stated he was in the wrong and there was no two ways about it.

So, we will see if it happens again.

I told him there will not be any more 4-points shot. We manage deer. If that means he does not get to shoot one because he did not see anything, then so be it, but when we see 14 deer on one stand in a morning, then the land is not why he was not seeing anything.

I was quite surprised it went as well as it did and I did not hold back. I was not mean. I let him know that he is a super wonderful person and if he was not, this would be an easy thing to do... I would tell him to go elsewhere.

And I told him that I do not want to impose limits, but we need to clearly define what and how this should be run. I also told him that inviting guests is fine, but if it gets to the point they see him more than we do, then he needs to see if they have a ranch where they can all hang out.

No hold barred.

So, we will see how it goes from here. All friendships saved :P

Russ

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718202 04/27/15 04:03 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
You're a better person than I am. I can handle ignorance of wrongdoing a lot better than someone who tells me they know they're in the wrong, but decided to do something anyway. Hope things go smoother for you. up

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718210 04/27/15 04:10 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Best wishes. You made rules, you made them known, you told them the consequences, just carry through and all will end well.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718221 04/27/15 04:18 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Red, I think that will be the catch, I agree. Following thru. There were no bones about it when we spoke. These are the rules. There will be no more small deer etc shot.

I even pointed out rule #17.. this is my place and I can choose to follow the rules or not.. heh

Albeit I follow them.. but the point was made.

He took it very well.

The next step will be, break the rules, we won't have "this" conversation again. That was made clear.

R

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718259 04/27/15 04:40 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There is a sign in my mancave. It says 'MY CAVE, MY RULES' That's the attitude you should have with these folks.

Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: Cast] #5718320 04/27/15 05:28 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
my experience says they will not change no matter what they promise - or they will start going behind your back.

if me I would have cut bait - "friends" don't disregard another friends wishes especially on a place they own

You can't fix stupid
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718424 04/27/15 06:38 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Blessed are the Peacemakers.... & ....Fool Me Once & Shame on Me...Fool Me Twice have had to become the Rules of the Road for me and mebbe it need's to be SSS on the friendship when you have to 'splain the Rules in Plain English. BTDThis too, even with family members. My frienda have been a better family over the years to me than my blood or legal kin.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718431 04/27/15 06:44 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
As a last word of advise - if this troublesome couple has a particular hunting blind/feeder they go to on your property, it may be time to get a couple of hidden game trial cameras around that area...you won't always be around to see if they take something you asked them not to take...and picture evidence doesn't lie. Just a thought.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718561 04/27/15 08:11 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
A Ronald Reagan quote might be appropriate here...
" Trust...but Verify "

Just Sayin'
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718746 04/27/15 09:42 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
"sounds" like it was all taken in stride and hopefully it will work out well for all involved. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at #1 home when he enlightens his wife as to the "rules" (if that ever happens). Best wishes to you and keep us posted how things progress (or digress, hopefully not!!!).

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell] #5718995 04/28/15 12:26 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
He could be a total bum, but I always feel sorry for the poor devil with the whiniest wife in any group. 'Nothing worse than the wife that's miserable in every situation.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide