Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476317 Topics
6248246 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#5709905 - 04/21/15 10:24 AM ok, would you do it?
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cedar Creek, TX
Alright, this is a hypothetical.... just want to see what you all think would happen.. heh.. so.. not making the offer, sorry.. but just trying to prove a point I made to some folks.

issue - I have 330 acres. I love the fact I can invite folks out whenever I want and let them hunt. When we bought it, it had a "primitive" barn-style cabin on one tract. I decided to make something nicer and so designed a cabin. As I got to inviting friends, I redesigned the cabin to be larger to accommodate the entire group. It has been 4 years, cabin is done, and I love the group of folks.....BUT.. one couple seem to help less than the rest, complain more than all of the rest combined, and do not seem to follow the rules....i.e. they shot a 4-point last year and when I asked why, the answer was, "well...I had not seen anything all year and he walked out at the wrong time".

Now, I see, regularly, more animals than you can shake a stick at.. but that is not the point I wanted to make. We do not shoot 4-points, period.

Add to that, I manage the Axis bucks so we can all get one. We have plenty, but the rules were, no guests shoot one. They let a 14yr old kid shoot one. Again, I like the idea of the kiddos getting to hunt, but the rules were pretty clear.

Then, they brought out a pop-up. Not a huge deal, but I made a rule, no pop-ups unless shooting on an existing feeder with a bow, which they were not doing. They wanted to hunt a spot they thought was covered in Axis and, again, complained about deer stands not being fixed yet won't FIX them...instead bring out a pop-up. (that was why I banned pop-ups...if you can't help fix a problem, you can't complain about it)

SO...

They pay nothing to hunt the place. ALL I require is 4 protein tubs a year (2 2 times a year) and keep the 7 corn feeders filled and maintain the place). For this, they can bring the family and a guest now and then...

I told them, "Look, I could make a post on the Internet offering this same deal and would have a hundred hell yeas in an hour....you guys have a good deal.

The cabin is furnished with a bathroom and a/c etc.. and you can hunt all sorts of exotics and deer hogs etc.

I realize they helped build the cabin, albeit they did less than the other folks, but am I wrong to be irritated and thinking they are taking advantage of the great deal?

I mean, I have not leased a lot....but imo... a LEASE would cost a lot of money and still they would have to do the same duties.

Russ

#5709912 - 04/21/15 10:27 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
SniperRAB Online   content
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
SMH

People never cease to amaze me...

Your Ranch
Your Hospitality
Your Rules..

Pretty Clean Cut

#5709928 - 04/21/15 10:33 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Agreed.

I did not implement any real "rules" till this year when I got a ton of complaints about "why no-one fixes the deer stands?" etc..

I was like, "uh.. I TOLD you guys to build them a certain way.. i.e. do not add metal roofing right onto a frame. Add solar board under it and then screw into that and seal the entire thing. So, they went cheap and the wind keeps blowing off the roofs on three of the stands.

Now, I plan to rebuild them myself right, but I was busy getting the cabin done etc and MY stand that I built is solid and not affected.

They brought out pop-ups and placed it in the path that feeds one of the stands and I was like, "no pop-ups. Can't complain about not fixing the stands and then bring a pop-up.

The 4-point thing is a no-brainer imo.. that one took me by surprise.

I did not get angry about the Axis buck except the same couple has been whining they had not gotten a dang Axis and they finally SEE one and let the kid shoot it.

I can't say too too much because they wear their feelings on their sleeves and the other two folks that come are life-long friends of theirs... so.. I would probably lose all of them from the ranch, which I do enjoy ALL of them.. just annoying.

I figured to give it this one more year and if it continues, I will just have to change the locks and say, "thanks for helping but I need people that follow the rules AND maintain the place. If I have to do it all, I don't need to share the place.

Russ

#5709929 - 04/21/15 10:33 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Pure lack of respect..... give um the boot

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5709930 - 04/21/15 10:34 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
I'll take their deal as soon as you say the word Russ. Without the guest privlidges.

It is really sad how selfish and disrespectful people have become.

I would tell them not to come back.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#5709939 - 04/21/15 10:38 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Pitch, I'll let you know if it comes to that. Hoping to save some friendships.

I invite lots of folks out... we have so much to hunt, and none of the guests got to shoot any major animals.. i.e. I saved the Axis bucks for the "inner crew". I do not accept money for stuff because I did not want to be beholding to anyone, but there is never a shortage of animals for the "inner crew" to harvest even with me taking folks out. Last year we trapped 43 hogs and there are plenty more.

I have seen more axis this year than ever before AND we are seeing a lot of Sika and Aoudad recently too.

Everyone is walking away with tons of meat if they want it OR if they are not loud.. heh

So.. just seemed like a good deal to me.. and I needed to rant a bit.. heh... thanks

I told one of them who would probably stay and works his butt off, we will give it one more year. Either things change or I drop the offending folks.

Russ

#5709944 - 04/21/15 10:40 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
SniperRAB Online   content
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
I have a simple rule Mr. Russell, My Benevolence will only extend to a certain distance.. Once you have stuck your hand out and its slapped away..

Then at that point if you allow it to continue, you my friend are as guilty as them and are contributing to the problem.

Seems to be a very generous and polite gesture that you reap great rewards from, there is nothing greater than random acts of kindness..

But as with a Child and I see Parents Coddle them, it defeats the agenda.

Sounds like your mind is made up and I would not lose an ounce of sleep. You have done your Due Diligence Sir

#5709956 - 04/21/15 10:44 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Thanks Rab wink

Did I mention the wife (the drama queen) works in the same bldg for the same agency as me? lol

Anyways, they are super nice but, like you said.. enough is enough. I will see how this next few months pans out and if no changes, then we will just do some spring cleaning.

Till then.. THF party at my place! who is up for a huge hog hunt?! lol

R

#5709964 - 04/21/15 10:46 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

If they are truly your friends then you can have a talk with them to make them understand your rules. If they are your friends then they will understand them and abide by them. If they continue this path then tell them things will change...and they will not like the changes you make.

#5709994 - 04/21/15 11:01 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
DustyWyoming Offline
Tracker

Keep your same rules and make a written contract up stating your rules and be clear about everything with the cost(feed or what ever), blinds, guests, work, animals and what happens if rules are broke and have them sign it, you keep a copy and give them one.

That way it will be clear to you and them what is expected and they know what will happen, should eliminate hard feelings for kicking them off after they break the rules they signed and agreed to.

#5709999 - 04/21/15 11:04 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
We don't have enough game for everyone to come out and hunt. Last year I shot one buck on 400 acres. The family hunts some, But not as much as I do. My Son and I got into a quarrel last season. He comes out, doesn't buy corn for his feeder, expects Dad to buy all the food, sleeps in a beautiful cabin that I built, pays no taxes on the place, pays no electric bill. Then shot a buck at a friends place that I had passed on, hoping someone who would appreciate the deer would have an opportunity at. He hung the deer up for two days in 80 degree weather, while Kenny Freds processing was waiting on the buck. I was in Dallas.

He shot the buck early Saturday morning. On sunday he still hadn't taken the deer to town. I finally reached him in the evening and a screaming match ensued over the phone. He ended up cutting the horns off and giving the meat away mad...Bottom line, he had no skin in the game and just looked at it like he was 'entitled', he even said as much. This year I think he should be banned from harvesting anything...This was a deer I was saving for a hunter that would appreciate it, and possibly do a shoulder mount. Needless to say, things will be different this year.

Edited by Erathkid (04/21/15 11:08 AM)

#5710001 - 04/21/15 11:07 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
I feel your pain. They need to go. They did it to themselves.

#5710008 - 04/21/15 11:13 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Wow.. Mike.. and I thought "I" had it bad. Sorry to hear that.

Well, I am typing up the rules now. I will post them on here when I am done for input.

Once it is done, I will have each sign it and post a copy in the cabin.

Then, they have only themselves to blame.

R

#5710010 - 04/21/15 11:15 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Texas
Some people just don't get it.

I have a very close buddy that's a good friend. He's not a jerk or anything, always very friendly - love spending time with him.

A couple of years ago he was kinda down in the dumps so I let him hunt a property I had for sale basically all season with only 1 rule: No guests. Didn't want liability for the actions of people I didn't know.

Check the game cameras and there are a couple sets of legs in the background that aren't him.

I seriously don't think it ever registered not to do it. I calmly but firmly let him know it wasn't okay.

You kinda gotta undue the hardcoding of people on certain things.

#5710011 - 04/21/15 11:15 AM Re: ok, would you do it? [Re: JohnRussell]
Navasot Offline
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Your to polite... put some anger in those rules and make them sign it in blood

http://www.j5tractors.com/

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide