Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I used to "think" I loved my job... #5709498 04/21/15 03:40 AM
nak Online Sleepy OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Went on a guided pig hunt this weekend. The ranch and hunting lodge were great. The weather was lousy, but they put us on hogs, so who cares about 4"-6" of rain. My buddy and I racked up three good boars and three pigs...and had a ball doing it.

But enough about the pigs, the real reason for this post is our guide, which I'll call "B". We spent Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning with this guy and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. I have been on hunts with both unknown and well known outfitters and had at least a dozen different guides over the years; most of these were "good", and I am sure all had a love for the outdoors. B carried this to an entirely different level. You can tell this guy loves every minute of his job and is personally committed to every hunter. He works full time for one ranch, part time for another, and runs a small ranch of his own. Every minute you are around him, you get this feeling that he is really passionate about everything he does, loves life, and is living it the way he wants to.

As the Subject line says, I used to think I loved my job, but B has redefined that...compared to him, I'm borderline miserable. He is making me rethink by career choice and wonder if I am really to old to change. In search of a few extra bucks, to pay for the fun stuff I want to do, I've strayed a long way from what I am passionate about. Imagine a job that is really fun and that you look forward to each day. What if you earned your living doing what you liked to do most...

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5709523 04/21/15 04:22 AM
L
Letsgo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Any job that deals with people is going to be a pain in the arse...Imagine "B" when he gets no tip, has to wake up at 4 am, missing most weekends with his kids, no chance for Church on Sundays, hearing there are too many pigs, not enough pigs, it is too hot, it is too cold, the lodge is too nice, the lodge is a dump, you promised no rain, you promised rain, pigs are too big, pigs are too small, feeder times are off, etc, etc.

Only job I can think of that would be perfect is rancher/farmer - good luck with having enough land and rain. Only takes a couple of dry years and you are in trouble.

We all need to invent the next pet rock and retire with millions.

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5709527 04/21/15 04:28 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
The perfect job is when wake up in the morning and look forward to the day ahead of you. You can't wait to get started. When you have that you do not consider it work at all.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5709529 04/21/15 04:32 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
So you're saying retirement with good health is the perfect job?

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5709530 04/21/15 04:32 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
As song goes, should a been a cowboy ... Yagh, bull riders, 10 second ride, ended up in foundry pushing bull leanen ovrr boxes up ta waist, picking up stuff half my weight, bad back snoulder knees, for my rewards. Some one had ta do it. Payed the bills. Could aford ta hunt. Still be thar, but ya cant fix stupid. rofl tis why i'm going broke... Dont do no good ta complain. What kinda job u got ta afford your hunting trips? flag

i'm postaddic
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: rifleman] #5709531 04/21/15 04:38 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: rifleman

No, the perfect job was when I was managing a ranch. I never considered it a job. I actually looked forward to getting up and taking on the task for the day. I worked daylight till dark almost everyday of the year. I would have done it for free if I could have figured out how to get by without the bills. I never once asked for a raise because I enjoyed what I was doing.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5709535 04/21/15 04:46 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The perfect day starts when you get up, for a lot of people that doesn't happen, they died during night. If you don't die during the day the rest of how good the day goes is up to you. When you think you have it bad you think you have it, think about the service men and women In some crap hole half way around the world with people wanting to kill them.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5709578 04/21/15 10:56 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Sounds like Bob is a great guy. I admire his approach to his job and life.

My job used to be tough (real tough), but is dang close to perfect now. Combination of having 25+ years of experience and not having to do the grunt stuff anymore.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: stxranchman] #5709625 04/21/15 11:59 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
The perfect job is when wake up in the morning and look forward to the day ahead of you. You can't wait to get started. When you have that you do not consider it work at all.
I must have the perfect job then Ranchman.

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5709688 04/21/15 01:10 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I'm sorry, but the perfect job is the guy that paints the paint bikinis on the SI swimsuit girls.

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: stxranchman] #5709724 04/21/15 01:30 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

^^That's right^^

2/3 of my days are that way.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: rifleman] #5709730 04/21/15 01:31 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Only Sept- Feb.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: cameron00] #5709731 04/21/15 01:32 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: cameron00
I'm sorry, but the perfect job is the guy that paints the paint bikinis on the SI swimsuit girls.

hmmmm I duno man id look like an ole hound that's been tied up and not hunted for weeks with a caged coon just outa reach...

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5709734 04/21/15 01:33 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Yeah, it'd actually be complete and utter torture, now that I think about it.

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: Letsgo] #5709794 04/21/15 02:16 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted By: Letsgo
.... hearing there are too many pigs, not enough pigs, it is too hot, it is too cold, the lodge is too nice, the lodge is a dump, you promised no rain, you promised rain, pigs are too big, pigs are too small, feeder times are off, etc, etc.

I guided that guy last year. realmad

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5709800 04/21/15 02:23 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If lucky enough to have a job you love, that's great. Most of the jobs I had were good, and one was great (for a time), but nothing lasts forever. And jobs change as bosses change.

The near perfect job I had was primarily as an oil trader, for which they paid me crazy good (and car and bonus and travel, when I felt it necessary), and the secondary function as a hunting and fishing guide at the two 50,000 acre south Tx ranches and the fishing camp on a major lake. I hunted, for business, for about 40 or 50 days per year, taking folks (my business customers) after deer, quail, dove and sometimes for varmints. To help me with that secondary function, they issued me a jeep and a bird dog. Shotgun shells were free. I used the company plane to go to and from the ranches. When we got sold to a big oil company we were devastated. Fun was over. Dang. Still the best job I ever had. Years later, when I worked for a huge petrochemical company and had a super job, my boss asked me (as we were on the plane heading for 2 weeks in Europe) if this was the greatest job ever. I said "Nope".

How good was that job? Well, when they issued me the bird dog, they flew the dog and me to a quail hunting ranch so the dog and I could learn to work together. No way Heaven can be much better than that job.

Last edited by 603Country; 04/21/15 02:26 PM.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: J.G.] #5709812 04/21/15 02:30 PM
Opening Day Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

^^That's right^^

2/3 of my days are that way.

X2

JG, everyone is not as fortunate to do what we do!!!!

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: stxranchman] #5709853 04/21/15 02:50 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Other than having to fade heat from renters, that pretty much sums up my days. I'm truly blessed.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: 603Country] #5710083 04/21/15 04:48 PM
L
lileight Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: 603Country
If lucky enough to have a job you love, that's great. Most of the jobs I had were good, and one was great (for a time), but nothing lasts forever. And jobs change as bosses change.

The near perfect job I had was primarily as an oil trader, for which they paid me crazy good (and car and bonus and travel, when I felt it necessary), and the secondary function as a hunting and fishing guide at the two 50,000 acre south Tx ranches and the fishing camp on a major lake. I hunted, for business, for about 40 or 50 days per year, taking folks (my business customers) after deer, quail, dove and sometimes for varmints. To help me with that secondary function, they issued me a jeep and a bird dog. Shotgun shells were free. I used the company plane to go to and from the ranches. When we got sold to a big oil company we were devastated. Fun was over. Dang. Still the best job I ever had. Years later, when I worked for a huge petrochemical company and had a super job, my boss asked me (as we were on the plane heading for 2 weeks in Europe) if this was the greatest job ever. I said "Nope".

Now that would be my dream job.

How good was that job? Well, when they issued me the bird dog, they flew the dog and me to a quail hunting ranch so the dog and I could learn to work together. No way Heaven can be much better than that job.

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: 603Country] #5710967 04/22/15 03:37 AM
nak Online Sleepy OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: 603Country

Damn...this one tops pretty much everything! Company issued Bird Dog...

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5710979 04/22/15 03:51 AM
nak Online Sleepy OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
I realize guiding and ranch work is not always perfect. There will be SOB customers...but I suspect most customers WANT TO BE THERE and are having a great time. There is bad weather...but there is lots of good weather and beautiful sunrises/sunsets.

While my job provides challenges, and some rewards, every customer is deal with is pissed about money; if they were not, they would not be talking to me. Just having a job where most folks want to see you would be great.

I grew up in the country life, but decided to forsake it to chase bigger $$$. I haven't been on a horse or a tractor in 30 years. I see a lot of sunrises...as I sit in traffic for my morning commute. I pay to go somewhere to exercise after work, instead of getting exercise at work.

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: dogcatcher] #5710987 04/22/15 04:05 AM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
The perfect day starts when you get up, for a lot of people that doesn't happen, they died during night. If you don't die during the day the rest of how good the day goes is up to you. When you think you have it bad you think you have it, think about the service men and women In some crap hole half way around the world with people wanting to kill them.

You got it, dogcatcher. Attitude and a little perspective can go a long way. My job isn't perfect, but I am without a doubt a very blessed man. When you start comparing your situation to that of a lot of other people's, I bet you'll feel the same way.

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5711128 04/22/15 12:15 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: nak
I realize guiding and ranch work is not always perfect. There will be SOB customers...but I suspect most customers WANT TO BE THERE and are having a great time. There is bad weather...but there is lots of good weather and beautiful sunrises/sunsets.

While my job provides challenges, and some rewards, every customer is deal with is pissed about money; if they were not, they would not be talking to me. Just having a job where most folks want to see you would be great.

I grew up in the country life, but decided to forsake it to chase bigger $$$. I haven't been on a horse or a tractor in 30 years. I see a lot of sunrises...as I sit in traffic for my morning commute. I pay to go somewhere to exercise after work, instead of getting exercise at work.

I know the feeling.

I live in West Houston, which is a great area, but with all the growth in the city, every day traffic gets worse and worse. Takes my wife over an hour to make it the 11 miles it is from our house to her office in the Galleria.

I'm slowly but surely compiling assets to where I should be able to entirely replace my current income within 5 years or so. Gonna be really difficult to not pack up and move to the woods at that point. Though deep down I believe I lack the balls to walk away from the money.

Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5711385 04/22/15 02:53 PM
B
BTL Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your job will never be perfect and your work will always be challenging not matter what job you have. When Adam took that bite out of the apple life got tough! Here's the verse that explains it all:

Genesis 4:12 - No longer will the ground yield good crops for you, no matter how hard you work!

Last edited by BTL; 04/22/15 02:55 PM.
Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak] #5711388 04/22/15 02:54 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I have never loved my job. It doesn't bother me that much thought, its what I have to do to put food on the table for my family and keep the roof up that we live under. It also affords me to do some things I enjoy. When I can afford to quit working I will... Lord I hope that is before im old.

It's hell eatin em live
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide