Forum Stats
60489 Members
45 Forums
476342 Topics
6248773 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#5709498 - 04/20/15 10:40 PM I used to "think" I loved my job...
nak Offline
Tracker

Loc: DFW
Went on a guided pig hunt this weekend. The ranch and hunting lodge were great. The weather was lousy, but they put us on hogs, so who cares about 4"-6" of rain. My buddy and I racked up three good boars and three pigs...and had a ball doing it.

But enough about the pigs, the real reason for this post is our guide, which I'll call "B". We spent Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday morning with this guy and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. I have been on hunts with both unknown and well known outfitters and had at least a dozen different guides over the years; most of these were "good", and I am sure all had a love for the outdoors. B carried this to an entirely different level. You can tell this guy loves every minute of his job and is personally committed to every hunter. He works full time for one ranch, part time for another, and runs a small ranch of his own. Every minute you are around him, you get this feeling that he is really passionate about everything he does, loves life, and is living it the way he wants to.

As the Subject line says, I used to think I loved my job, but B has redefined that...compared to him, I'm borderline miserable. He is making me rethink by career choice and wonder if I am really to old to change. In search of a few extra bucks, to pay for the fun stuff I want to do, I've strayed a long way from what I am passionate about. Imagine a job that is really fun and that you look forward to each day. What if you earned your living doing what you liked to do most...

#5709523 - 04/20/15 11:22 PM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak]
Letsgo Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Coryell, County
Any job that deals with people is going to be a pain in the arse...Imagine "B" when he gets no tip, has to wake up at 4 am, missing most weekends with his kids, no chance for Church on Sundays, hearing there are too many pigs, not enough pigs, it is too hot, it is too cold, the lodge is too nice, the lodge is a dump, you promised no rain, you promised rain, pigs are too big, pigs are too small, feeder times are off, etc, etc.

Only job I can think of that would be perfect is rancher/farmer - good luck with having enough land and rain. Only takes a couple of dry years and you are in trouble.

We all need to invent the next pet rock and retire with millions.

#5709527 - 04/20/15 11:28 PM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

The perfect job is when wake up in the morning and look forward to the day ahead of you. You can't wait to get started. When you have that you do not consider it work at all.

#5709529 - 04/20/15 11:32 PM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak]
rifleman Online   crying
Sparkly Pants

Loc: Kingwood
So you're saying retirement with good health is the perfect job?

#5709530 - 04/20/15 11:32 PM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
As song goes, should a been a cowboy ... Yagh, bull riders, 10 second ride, ended up in foundry pushing bull leanen ovrr boxes up ta waist, picking up stuff half my weight, bad back snoulder knees, for my rewards. Some one had ta do it. Payed the bills. Could aford ta hunt. Still be thar, but ya cant fix stupid. rofl tis why i'm going broke... Dont do no good ta complain. What kinda job u got ta afford your hunting trips? flag

i'm postaddic

#5709531 - 04/20/15 11:38 PM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: rifleman]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: rifleman

No, the perfect job was when I was managing a ranch. I never considered it a job. I actually looked forward to getting up and taking on the task for the day. I worked daylight till dark almost everyday of the year. I would have done it for free if I could have figured out how to get by without the bills. I never once asked for a raise because I enjoyed what I was doing.

#5709535 - 04/20/15 11:46 PM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
The perfect day starts when you get up, for a lot of people that doesn't happen, they died during night. If you don't die during the day the rest of how good the day goes is up to you. When you think you have it bad you think you have it, think about the service men and women In some crap hole half way around the world with people wanting to kill them.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5709578 - 04/21/15 05:56 AM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Sounds like Bob is a great guy. I admire his approach to his job and life.

My job used to be tough (real tough), but is dang close to perfect now. Combination of having 25+ years of experience and not having to do the grunt stuff anymore.

#5709625 - 04/21/15 06:59 AM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: stxranchman]
don k Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
The perfect job is when wake up in the morning and look forward to the day ahead of you. You can't wait to get started. When you have that you do not consider it work at all.
I must have the perfect job then Ranchman.

#5709688 - 04/21/15 08:10 AM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak]
cameron00 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Texas
I'm sorry, but the perfect job is the guy that paints the paint bikinis on the SI swimsuit girls.

#5709724 - 04/21/15 08:30 AM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: stxranchman]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

^^That's right^^

2/3 of my days are that way.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5709730 - 04/21/15 08:31 AM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: rifleman]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Only Sept- Feb.

#5709731 - 04/21/15 08:32 AM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: cameron00]
Navasot Online   content
Natty Love

Loc: Normangee/Navasota TX
Originally Posted By: cameron00
I'm sorry, but the perfect job is the guy that paints the paint bikinis on the SI swimsuit girls.

hmmmm I duno man id look like an ole hound that's been tied up and not hunted for weeks with a caged coon just outa reach...

http://www.j5tractors.com/

#5709734 - 04/21/15 08:33 AM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: nak]
cameron00 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Texas
Yeah, it'd actually be complete and utter torture, now that I think about it.

#5709794 - 04/21/15 09:16 AM Re: I used to "think" I loved my job... [Re: Letsgo]
dkershen Online   content

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Originally Posted By: Letsgo
.... hearing there are too many pigs, not enough pigs, it is too hot, it is too cold, the lodge is too nice, the lodge is a dump, you promised no rain, you promised rain, pigs are too big, pigs are too small, feeder times are off, etc, etc.

I guided that guy last year. realmad

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide