Page 1 of 2 1 2
Permethrin #5706194 04/18/15 02:09 PM
F
FeetDown Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
F
It's an insect repellant that you can spray on your clothes, and is supposedly odorless and lasts 6 washings. Anyone tried it? I think Sawyers is the main brand.

I moved up to Massachusetts last year and Lyme disease from deer ticks is a huge issue - gives me the heebie jeebies every time I go in the woods. One escaped detection this fall, and since it's such a high risk area, went to the doc for some antibiotics. Thought y'all might be interested, especially for dove and early deer season (chiggers and skeeters!).

Trying permethrin out this turkey season. Would like to hear about its effectiveness if you've had any experience using the stuff, too.

Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5706232 04/18/15 02:47 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Used it many times, it is in a lot of products for lawn, garden and pet treatment. I usually will use Deeps Woods OFF, easier, safer and readily available.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5706249 04/18/15 03:02 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
scratch depends for them thar oh chit moments. With warmer weather it keeps things in & some things out. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5706264 04/18/15 03:27 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
We use it to kill and keep away bugs and spiders around the house

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5706269 04/18/15 03:32 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I use it on hunting clothing and boots every year. Seems to work great.

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5706292 04/18/15 04:20 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Common product that's been around for a long time. I apply it from a spray bottle(mixed solution with water) to my boots, knees down on the pants, and waistline of my pants. It works well. Many products are made with permithrin in it for garden and livestock use.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5706305 04/18/15 04:46 PM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I would highly suggest NOT using anything that contains permethrin. It's a synthetic version of the naturally occurring toxin Pyrethrum found in certain species of chrysanthemums. It's a nerve toxin. It is not odorless...by law it has to have what's called a "signal odor". It may be "low odor", but can still be detected, especially by animals. There are several reasons we use it in our pesticides, none of which are good for humans. You'd be much safer in the long run by sticking with a DEET based formula. Of course, if eye twitching, muscle cramps and spasms, rashes, itching, and diminished ability to get or maintain an erection don't bother you, it might not be a bad deal for areas where animals can't smell you due to wind or distance.
Synthetic Pyrethroids (Permethrin) were designed and formulated to cause havoc on the most efficient nervous and immune systems on the planet(insects), so just imagine what they could do to a human if misused, overused, or if someone had a sensitivity to either the active or inert ingredients.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I'd hate to see or hear of anyone being negatively affected by the use of these types of products. I've dealt with them for 30 years, and I wouldn't even consider messing with them without gloves, and there's no way I'd ever put it on my clothes or skin.

Re: Permethrin [Re: Dragonuv] #5706323 04/18/15 05:12 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Dragonuv
I would highly suggest NOT using anything that contains permethrin. It's a synthetic version of the naturally occurring toxin Pyrethrum found in certain species of chrysanthemums. It's a nerve toxin. It is not odorless...by law it has to have what's called a "signal odor". It may be "low odor", but can still be detected, especially by animals. There are several reasons we use it in our pesticides, none of which are good for humans. You'd be much safer in the long run by sticking with a DEET based formula. Of course, if eye twitching, muscle cramps and spasms, rashes, itching, and diminished ability to get or maintain an erection don't bother you, it might not be a bad deal for areas where animals can't smell you due to wind or distance.
Synthetic Pyrethroids (Permethrin) were designed and formulated to cause havoc on the most efficient nervous and immune systems on the planet(insects), so just imagine what they could do to a human if misused, overused, or if someone had a sensitivity to either the active or inert ingredients.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I'd hate to see or hear of anyone being negatively affected by the use of these types of products. I've dealt with them for 30 years, and I wouldn't even consider messing with them without gloves, and there's no way I'd ever put it on my clothes or skin.

That needs a little more emphasis for these old eyes and the others that might want to be in the know. up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5707127 04/19/15 01:55 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Just bathe in diesel, probably about as safe

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5707168 04/19/15 02:36 PM
G
grizzlyman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I started using the Repel Permathrine product several years ago after finding six ticks on my leg after a turkey hunt. I rarely find ticks on me since I started using it on my clothes, boots, and equipment.

I prefer the Repel product over the Sawyer product, but the Sawyer is easier to find. I don't go in the woods in Spring through Fall without it on my clothes.

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: Permethrin [Re: 1860.colt] #5707183 04/19/15 02:52 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch depends for them thar oh chit moments. With warmer weather it keeps things in & some things out. flag

Lyme Disease is nothing ta laugh at. Check yourself after wondering about the woods. Stay safe. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Permethrin [Re: grizzlyman] #5707187 04/19/15 02:56 PM
M
MoTex Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
What grizzly an said X2

Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5707702 04/19/15 11:45 PM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I will not go in our woods with out it. it says do not spray on skin. you are fine on your clothes. have been using it for years. great stuff. Forrest

Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5707741 04/20/15 12:22 AM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I have been using it for the past 3 years, I love the stuff. It lasts a long time too, 1 spray down lasts me all turkey season.

Re: Permethrin [Re: Dragonuv] #5707792 04/20/15 01:04 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

I guess it's like anything in life, you have to weigh the pros and the cons. I look at what is most likely to do me real harm. I personally know two people that have contracted Lyme's disease, one has still not fully recovered. I have never known, or have even heard of someone getting sick from using permethrin as directed.
Ticks spread a whole list of terrible diseases like Lyme's, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Relapsing Fever, Typhus, Tularemia, Menengoencephalitis, and Tick Paralysis. These are real, and they really do hurt people. It boils down to real versus theoretical risk.
I use it every year in the field. I have never had any adverse reaction and it absolutely works to keep ticks off better than deet. I will continue to use it.

Re: Permethrin [Re: Palehorse] #5707846 04/20/15 01:43 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

I guess it's like anything in life, you have to weigh the pros and the cons. I look at what is most likely to do me real harm. I personally know two people that have contracted Lyme's disease, one has still not fully recovered. I have never known, or have even heard of someone getting sick from using permethrin as directed.
Ticks spread a whole list of terrible diseases like Lyme's, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Relapsing Fever, Typhus, Tularemia, Menengoencephalitis, and Tick Paralysis. These are real, and they really do hurt people. It boils down to real versus theoretical risk.
I use it every year in the field. I have never had any adverse reaction and it absolutely works to keep ticks off better than deet. I will continue to use it.

Same here, there are about 5 different clothing MFG's they use it also.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5708153 04/20/15 07:32 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
I've also been wearing it for years, but without a choice. Heck, I'm wearing permethrine treated clothing right now as daily wear. I've also gone to wearing the same stuff when I'm in the woods during the warm months, especially during turkey season. Works as advertised.

Never the first issue. No skin irritation or other allergic reactions.

[Linked Image]
Re: Permethrin [Re: kry226] #5708555 04/20/15 03:52 PM
S
Scoop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I do use it on my clothes as others have said, but here's another use. If you are cleaning a bunch of hogs with fleas, them suckers will leave the pig and find you in bunches. I bag up all my hog cleaning clothes in a small white trash bag and shoot one spray of Permethrin in it and tie it up good. Get home and you will be surprised at the fleas lying dead in the bottom of that white bag. I also use the smallest dab of lice shampoo to shower with afterwards, and it clears the deck. Not much more aggravating than riding 3 hours home from the ranch feeling fleas crawling in your hair the whole time.

Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5708702 04/20/15 05:43 PM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Do the ticks in East Texas carry lyme disease? I've always been familiar with what we called "seed ticks" or sometimes "red ticks" which are little flat round ticks.....when they would get on the dogs they would balloon up to a small glob full of blood. We will occasionally get these on us, but I always thought lyme disease was not found in Texas.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Permethrin [Re: HS2] #5708736 04/20/15 06:07 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Humblesmith
Do the ticks in East Texas carry lyme disease? I've always been familiar with what we called "seed ticks" or sometimes "red ticks" which are little flat round ticks.....when they would get on the dogs they would balloon up to a small glob full of blood. We will occasionally get these on us, but I always thought lyme disease was not found in Texas.

Yes we have Lyme Disease in Texas. Blacklegged Tick(Deer Tick) is the tick that carries Lyme Disease and it has been here in Texas for the past 25-30 yrs at least. Not wide spread or very common but it is here.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5708750 04/20/15 06:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Don't forget bird flu. Via skeeters

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5709085 04/20/15 11:06 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I've been using it since 1986. There is something about lying on the ground in the woods in VA waiting "attack" the objective (training obviously) and watching the ticks crawl all over you and you can't move to do anything about it. Also works great on chiggers and any other insect to include mosquitoes. It is NOT a repellent it kills them.
Used as directed "spray on outwear and let dry" it is not a problem. It is a nerve agent. My buddies Dad was visiting Camp Lejeune and thought it was like OFF. Starting with numb lips, tingling skin etc. you get the idea. READ THE DIRECTIONS when using chemicals.

Last edited by 7ARanch; 04/20/15 11:06 PM.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5709116 04/20/15 11:31 PM
daniel1381 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Pe...e_1429572600153

Is this the product you guys are using ? i wanna get on board with this

"From my cold dead hands"

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5709138 04/20/15 11:45 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Yes, that is one brand of it.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown] #5713338 04/23/15 06:38 PM
S
SpawnofChesty Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
In the military they made us use it so if it is safe enough for Uncle Sam it is safe enough for me. Now where did I put that agent orange?

All kidding aside I use it every season still no issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide