6245203 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5706194 - 04/18/15 09:09 AM Permethrin
FeetDown Offline
Woodsman

Loc: North Texas
It's an insect repellant that you can spray on your clothes, and is supposedly odorless and lasts 6 washings. Anyone tried it? I think Sawyers is the main brand.

I moved up to Massachusetts last year and Lyme disease from deer ticks is a huge issue - gives me the heebie jeebies every time I go in the woods. One escaped detection this fall, and since it's such a high risk area, went to the doc for some antibiotics. Thought y'all might be interested, especially for dove and early deer season (chiggers and skeeters!).

Trying permethrin out this turkey season. Would like to hear about its effectiveness if you've had any experience using the stuff, too.

#5706232 - 04/18/15 09:47 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Used it many times, it is in a lot of products for lawn, garden and pet treatment. I usually will use Deeps Woods OFF, easier, safer and readily available.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5706249 - 04/18/15 10:02 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
scratch depends for them thar oh chit moments. With warmer weather it keeps things in & some things out. flag

i'm postaddic

#5706264 - 04/18/15 10:27 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

We use it to kill and keep away bugs and spiders around the house

#5706269 - 04/18/15 10:32 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
Cajun Raider Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Texas
I use it on hunting clothing and boots every year. Seems to work great.

#5706292 - 04/18/15 11:20 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Gonzales, Texas
Common product that's been around for a long time. I apply it from a spray bottle(mixed solution with water) to my boots, knees down on the pants, and waistline of my pants. It works well. Many products are made with permithrin in it for garden and livestock use.
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

#5706305 - 04/18/15 11:46 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
Dragonuv Offline

Loc: Abilene, TX USA
I would highly suggest NOT using anything that contains permethrin. It's a synthetic version of the naturally occurring toxin Pyrethrum found in certain species of chrysanthemums. It's a nerve toxin. It is not odorless...by law it has to have what's called a "signal odor". It may be "low odor", but can still be detected, especially by animals. There are several reasons we use it in our pesticides, none of which are good for humans. You'd be much safer in the long run by sticking with a DEET based formula. Of course, if eye twitching, muscle cramps and spasms, rashes, itching, and diminished ability to get or maintain an erection don't bother you, it might not be a bad deal for areas where animals can't smell you due to wind or distance.
Synthetic Pyrethroids (Permethrin) were designed and formulated to cause havoc on the most efficient nervous and immune systems on the planet(insects), so just imagine what they could do to a human if misused, overused, or if someone had a sensitivity to either the active or inert ingredients.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I'd hate to see or hear of anyone being negatively affected by the use of these types of products. I've dealt with them for 30 years, and I wouldn't even consider messing with them without gloves, and there's no way I'd ever put it on my clothes or skin.

#5706323 - 04/18/15 12:12 PM Re: Permethrin [Re: Dragonuv]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: Dragonuv
I would highly suggest NOT using anything that contains permethrin. It's a synthetic version of the naturally occurring toxin Pyrethrum found in certain species of chrysanthemums. It's a nerve toxin. It is not odorless...by law it has to have what's called a "signal odor". It may be "low odor", but can still be detected, especially by animals. There are several reasons we use it in our pesticides, none of which are good for humans. You'd be much safer in the long run by sticking with a DEET based formula. Of course, if eye twitching, muscle cramps and spasms, rashes, itching, and diminished ability to get or maintain an erection don't bother you, it might not be a bad deal for areas where animals can't smell you due to wind or distance.
Synthetic Pyrethroids (Permethrin) were designed and formulated to cause havoc on the most efficient nervous and immune systems on the planet(insects), so just imagine what they could do to a human if misused, overused, or if someone had a sensitivity to either the active or inert ingredients.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I'd hate to see or hear of anyone being negatively affected by the use of these types of products. I've dealt with them for 30 years, and I wouldn't even consider messing with them without gloves, and there's no way I'd ever put it on my clothes or skin.

That needs a little more emphasis for these old eyes and the others that might want to be in the know. up

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5707127 - 04/19/15 08:55 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Just bathe in diesel, probably about as safe

#5707168 - 04/19/15 09:36 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
grizzlyman Offline
Light Foot

I started using the Repel Permathrine product several years ago after finding six ticks on my leg after a turkey hunt. I rarely find ticks on me since I started using it on my clothes, boots, and equipment.

I prefer the Repel product over the Sawyer product, but the Sawyer is easier to find. I don't go in the woods in Spring through Fall without it on my clothes.

#5707183 - 04/19/15 09:52 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: colt.45]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch depends for them thar oh chit moments. With warmer weather it keeps things in & some things out. flag

Lyme Disease is nothing ta laugh at. Check yourself after wondering about the woods. Stay safe. flag

i'm postaddic

#5707187 - 04/19/15 09:56 AM Re: Permethrin [Re: grizzlyman]
MoTex Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Allen Texas
What grizzly an said X2

#5707702 - 04/19/15 06:45 PM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
Drahthaar Offline
Woodsman

I will not go in our woods with out it. it says do not spray on skin. you are fine on your clothes. have been using it for years. great stuff. Forrest

#5707741 - 04/19/15 07:22 PM Re: Permethrin [Re: FeetDown]
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hurst
I have been using it for the past 3 years, I love the stuff. It lasts a long time too, 1 spray down lasts me all turkey season.

#5707792 - 04/19/15 08:04 PM Re: Permethrin [Re: Dragonuv]
Palehorse Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
Originally Posted By: Dragonuv

I guess it's like anything in life, you have to weigh the pros and the cons. I look at what is most likely to do me real harm. I personally know two people that have contracted Lyme's disease, one has still not fully recovered. I have never known, or have even heard of someone getting sick from using permethrin as directed.
Ticks spread a whole list of terrible diseases like Lyme's, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Relapsing Fever, Typhus, Tularemia, Menengoencephalitis, and Tick Paralysis. These are real, and they really do hurt people. It boils down to real versus theoretical risk.
I use it every year in the field. I have never had any adverse reaction and it absolutely works to keep ticks off better than deet. I will continue to use it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide