Print Thread
Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** #5680070 04/01/15 10:02 PM
E
esturdivant Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
E
A little breakdown of one of the best weekends I have had in a very long time, if not the best!!! We arrived to the ranch around 1400 on the 27th of March and we were greeted by Allen(Farm Manager)! In our party it was my wife and three small kids along with my Dad(72 yr old) and my oldest son (20), both my dad and oldest drove up from Lufkin, and arrived about an hour prior to us. Once we arrived Allen gave us the breakdown of the rules and how things were going to happen over the weekend. Our first hunt was really up to us if we wanted to hunt Friday evening or not, and of course we chose to hunt after Supper, which to my surprise was a pretty impressive layout of Smoked Ribs! Allen took us out to the stand and got us situated and we were on the hunt! We of course didn't last too long as our drive was a little lengthy! We pulled back to the lodge around 2330 and got settled for the night in the big oversized rooms with a pretty gigantic bathroom right down the hall. We got up the next morning and Allen had eggs, bacon, biscuits and drinks waiting on us, we ate and hung out most of the day in the big room of the lodge, played pool, did a little fishing out in the pond and had some much needed relaxation and family time as this was my last weekend of R&R from Afghanistan. We got ready and me and my oldest son got some waders on and my Dad and one of my youngest daughters headed to the stand to hunt some coy dogs with the help of a call and some bait. Me and my son knew we would be going to a swamp to do a spot and stalk but I don't think either of us expected the amount of water in there which was unusally high because of all the recent rainfall, don't get me wrong we loved every step of it, and man I can tell you I saw more concentrations of pig sign in that swamp then I have ever seen in my life, and I grew up in east texas! We started our spot and stalk and almost 70 yards in we cornered about 8 or so piglets and took a couple and then we continued to move forward with plenty of sign but I am sure our earlier shots ran some of them off. We finished our spot and stalk with four piglets and high hopes of the hunt later in the night. We went back to lodge and Allen started dinner and soon we would be eating another very well prepared meal and again without fail it was delicious!! Allen suggested we take a nap and get up around 2200 and then get ready to hunt from 2300-0400 he had sightings of hogs between those times on the cameras. My Dad hung around the lodge to do some coy dog hunting with Allen and my son and myself headed out to the stands to hunt some hogs. I sat in my stand from 2359 to 0139 when the magic happened, the wind was blowing around 14 mph so my hopes were not that great, I didn't expect to see anything, but soon I heard an owl and then I heard an owl make a noise I have never heard and then I saw this what I thought was a young steer or calf walk across the road, so I turned on my Digital Crosshairs and saw the snout and instantly got hog fever, I waited about 3 minutes to see if it would stop and give me a shot, he didn't he kept walking so I decided to take a shot the hog was about 95 yards and I had the shot so I took it, with my DR-200 and 55 gr hornady .223, I felt like I made a good shot, I waited about 30 minutes and decided to get down to look, I texted Allen and he came with bigger lights, we didn't find it and decided to take a look in the morning, I got little sleep that night and got up around 730 and we headed out we got to the stand and Allen used his knowledge of the pig movements to find the Hog, and let me tell you it was the biggest hog I have ever shot, we estimated hoof weight in between 225-250lbs. We loaded it up because I do not like killing without using the meat or providing for others, so we got back after taking a couple of photos and bragging to the family. I quartered and coolered it and we enjoyed a big pancake breakfast again it was delicious! I cannot not say enough about this Farm, Rocky and Allen, it was the best family weekend we ever had. My wife as soon as we pulled away said " We need to come back here and do this again and bring moore of our family". I had a great time and would highly recommend this hunt package to anyone who will listen!! Rocky and Allen Thank you again for the great experience and beautiful facilities!

Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: esturdivant] #5680103 04/01/15 10:28 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Big un!. Thanks for your post and thanks for your service.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: Bar-D] #5680255 04/02/15 12:11 AM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: bar-d
Thanks for your post and thanks for your service.

Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: esturdivant] #5680301 04/02/15 12:40 AM
J
Jkil Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
We went there for my bachelor party a few weeks ago and had a blast. Saw a few hogs, coyotes, and even a bobcat (my buddy missed it). Rocky and Allen were laid back and were down for whatever we wanted to do.

Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: esturdivant] #5680535 04/02/15 02:58 AM
I
inkedagent Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
Awesome! That's what I like to hear!

Somewhere, a true believer is training to kill you. He doesn't care about time, comfort, or mercy. He only knows the Cause, and that it's his home. He will not tire, slow, or quit until he wins. Are you prepared to fight him? Are you prepared to win?
Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: esturdivant] #5680587 04/02/15 03:24 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Nice

Big Beckett!!
Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: esturdivant] #5680653 04/02/15 06:25 AM
I
IamMr2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
Sounds like a great time. 'Grats on the big'un!

Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: esturdivant] #5682179 04/03/15 02:52 AM
L
Lund 17.5 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
If I didnt know better, I would be willing to bet that the hog you took had a round lodged somewhere in its neck. I hit him or one just like him back in February with a 168 grain hollow point. He squeeled something awful, rolled over twice and I figured he was done. SOB got up and ran and I was not in position to put another round in him.

Anyway, Allen I think you owe my son a call in relation to our arrangement. Glad things are going well out at Pintail Farms. You know the code.

Best,

Proud parent of a US Airman in active duty
Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: Lund 17.5] #5683603 04/04/15 02:40 AM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Lund 17.5
If I didnt know better, I would be willing to bet that the hog you took had a round lodged somewhere in its neck. I hit him or one just like him back in February with a 168 grain hollow point. He squeeled something awful, rolled over twice and I figured he was done. SOB got up and ran and I was not in position to put another round in him.

Anyway, Allen I think you owe my son a call in relation to our arrangement. Glad things are going well out at Pintail Farms. You know the code.

Best,

have not forgotten, we have been flooded big time since about a week after you were here, finally trying to dry out. end of this month or first of may I plan on settin something up.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: esturdivant] #5683605 04/04/15 02:41 AM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
thanks for the kind words eddie, stay safe and see ya'll soon. I had about as much fun as you did and was glad to have ya.

Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: esturdivant] #5701289 04/15/15 07:11 PM
Twisted Mallard HC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Thank you for the nice review!

Come Hunt with us for a great hunt. We can customize our hunts specifically for you.....
www.TwistedMallardHuntingClub.com
Rockie Martin
214-478-5047

Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: esturdivant] #5704623 04/17/15 03:28 PM
T
themoonrulz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
How large is the property?

A real hunter never returns empty handed. Spending time in the wilderness temporarily satifies the soul, but leaves us longing for more.
Re: Review of Hog Hunt with Pintail Farms!!! **** [Re: themoonrulz] #5707781 04/20/15 12:54 AM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: themoonrulz
How large is the property?

we have 1000 acres and are surrounded by riverby ranch which is 32000 acres, most of our property is wetlands and has some great hog habitat.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide