Print Thread
Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US #5701321 04/15/15 07:35 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I read in a SCI newsletter that The Federal Gov't has changed (or will change as SCI said it was not clear when the change will take or has taken effect)the paperwork required for taking a hunting firearm and ammo outside the US.

Here is part of the text from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website. I bolded what I think is the new requirement.

"To temporarily export a firearm, regulations require that the traveler declare their firearms to CBP using the Automated Export System (AES). AES has a free web-based internet application known as AESDirect that allows the traveling public to make their declarations electronically. The submission of the information is known as the Electronic Export Information. The travelers must file their declarations for controlled commodities, including rifles, handguns, and associated ammunition, at least eight hours prior to their departure from the United States. The export of shotguns can be made up to two hours prior to departure from the United States. Under the Department of State regulations, 22 CFR Parts 120-130 the export of rifles, handguns and associated ammunition is controlled. Under the Department of Commerce regulations, 15 CFR Parts 730-779, the export of shotguns and shotgun shells are also controlled, depending upon the destination."

Has anyone gone through this new procedure?

Here is a link

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/323/~/traveling-outside-of-the-u.s.---temporarily-taking-a-firearm,-rifle,-gun,

Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: TonyinVA] #5702422 04/16/15 12:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have not yet. Honestly, things are in such a state of confusion at the moment I would be very concerned if I was. The Hunting Report and other major hunting publications are reporting many horror stories about traveling with guns right now and inability to use the AES even though some agents are requiring it. It seems each agent at each location has a different idea about what is required.

I'm hoping things will have settled down by fall.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: TonyinVA] #5702466 04/16/15 12:59 PM
R
red bluff Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I tried to use this site last fall. It is set up for a import/export business to report to the Gov. It is a pure nightmare for a guy that just wants to go hunting. I finally gave up, I called my outfitting company that is based here in the US and they had never heard of it. During my trip the only form I was ask to produce regarding the firearm was the Canadian entry form.

Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: red bluff] #5702504 04/16/15 01:20 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: red bluff
I tried to use this site last fall. It is set up for a import/export business to report to the Gov. It is a pure nightmare for a guy that just wants to go hunting. I finally gave up, I called my outfitting company that is based here in the US and they had never heard of it. During my trip the only form I was ask to produce regarding the firearm was the Canadian entry form.

The major FUBAR is you have to go through another agency and get an identification #. Some agents are telling folks their SS# or Employer ID# will suffice. Then they are finding out en route this is not true. You have to establish a personal import/export identity and get a personal #. But this apparently has you say you are in the import/export business. When most are not. Like I said, a total FUBAR.

Word is they are working on setting up a process for travelers with guns to have their own link to get the required # without having to answer all the irrelevant questions.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5703065 04/16/15 06:35 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'm going to BC on a bear hunt next month. The outfitter said the rule goes into effect May 1st.

My buddy just got through spending north of 6 grand on a new rifle to shoot his grizzly with. Both of us are going to use the outfitters guns now.

The last thing we want is BS transporting our rifles.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: therancher] #5703173 04/16/15 07:32 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: therancher
I'm going to BC on a bear hunt next month. The outfitter said the rule goes into effect May 1st.

My buddy just got through spending north of 6 grand on a new rifle to shoot his grizzly with. Both of us are going to use the outfitters guns now.

That's a d@*! shame. Good hunting on your trip anyway.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: Creekrunner] #5705118 04/17/15 07:08 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Thanks! Laws are suffocating liberty.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: Creekrunner] #5705154 04/17/15 07:26 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

That is a shame. That seems to be a wise move though. Seems all that mess is really up in the air right now.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 04/17/15 07:28 PM.

Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: TonyinVA] #5706986 04/19/15 07:00 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Sounds crazy.

In fact it sounds to me like the US government is giving you more hassle to leave the country with your guns than it is for a guy like to me to visit and bring my guns in.

I came down to hog hunt in March and brought 4 rifles and 300 rounds of ammo and it was simple. Just applied to ATF for a permit (did it electronically in about 10 minutes) and they emailed me the permit 48 hours later. At the border I handed them the permit and buddy made a few keystrokes on the computer and said have a nice trip.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: TonyinVA] #5707093 04/19/15 01:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have had way more trouble with US Customs upon re-entry than I ever have had with foreign customs.

There are a lot of anti-hunting tree hugger customs agents at the airports. They will rag you around just for the sport of it. All this confusion sounds like a good way to do it.

Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5707098 04/19/15 01:30 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

That is a shame. That seems to be a wise move though. Seems all that mess is really up in the air right now.

When my FIL came back from up there the rifle wasn't near as big of a concern to the agents as the ammo and its storage. Waited until he was back in the US to make a big deal about it bc 3 guys were fine and an agent singled him out.

Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: TonyinVA] #5707416 04/19/15 08:04 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Really have to play nice when they are holding your passport behind the counter. Tree hugger agent was jacking me around last time - finally nicely asked to see a supervisor. He came and I explained everything. He said "Louise, give this man back his passport and let him be on his way." He walked us out apologizing. She was just trying to make us miss our connecting flight. We made it with 5 minutes to spare.

Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: TonyinVA] #5725588 05/01/15 10:06 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T

Feds Suspend Confusing Gun Travel Rules

Posted by firstforwildlife on April 29, 2015 · Leave a Comment

RigbybiggametestU.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has just updated its website to provide clarification on its current position concerning electronic registration for traveling with firearms abroad. On April 29, 2015, CPB added a page to its website explaining that it is “temporarily suspending implementation of the regulation” concerning electronic registration as the agency works to modify the Automated Export System (AES). The CBP webpage can be accessed directly from here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/323/kw/export%20hunting%20rifle/suggested/1. The full text of the new CBP notice appears at the bottom of this alert.

As this suspension is only temporary, SCI members should continue to monitor their electronic communications from SCI for further developments on the firearms registration requirements. SCI will continue to update you as we receive additional information.

The information in this email is not intended to serve as legal advice. Those with questions or need for additional information should contact CBP directly.

The following was excerpted from the CBP Website:

Traveling outside of the U.S. – Temporarily taking a firearm, rifle, gun, shotgun or ammunition abroad for hunting purposes

What is the process for a traveler temporarily taking a firearm, rifle, gun, shotgun or ammunition abroad for hunting or sports-related purposes?

Current export regulations issued by the Department of State require travelers to file electronic export information (EEI) for temporary export of personally owned firearms via the Automated Export System (AES) prior to departure from the United States.

CBP is aware of issues that travelers are having with the implementation of this regulation and is working to ensure that no traveler attempting to legally take their firearm out of the country experiences significant delays or incurs additional cost.

Because of these issues, we are temporarily suspending implementation of the regulation as we work with our government partners to modify the AES system to make it more user-friendly for individual travelers. In the interim, CBP will continue to follow their long standing practice of issuing and certifying a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457). During this time, when a traveler contacts CBP to register their firearm for export and reentry, CBP will:
◾Complete a CBP Form 4457 to ensure a problem-free return to the U.S., and
◾Provide a fact sheet about the regulation and how to comply in the interim.

If you need to register your firearm in the course of your travel, please give yourself enough time to do so, 2-3 hours is a good estimate. You also have the option of registering in advance at a CBP Port of Entry. Once a firearm is registered, the 4457 can be used repeatedly for that particular firearm.

CBP advises travelers to become familiar with the import requirements of the foreign country(s) that they may be traveling through or visiting. Those countries may have more restrictive laws and regulations regarding the use of firearms within their countries. For many countries that do allow the temporary importation of firearms, the CBP Form 4457 is required for entry of a U.S. owned firearm into their country. (Canada does not require it, but it does facilitate the temporary importation. Be sure to become familiar with Canada‘s import requirements.)

Please note, if you are taking ammunition, and there is a possibility you will not use it all and would like to re-import it, your 4457 should reflect the kind of ammunition you are departing with.

Upon returning to the United States, the traveler will make a regular declaration regarding the personal effects and goods that they are carrying and ensure that they declare any firearms and ammunition. To satisfy the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives requirements for the re-importation of a firearm please refer to 27 CFR 478.115(a). The ATF regulations allow for the use of the CF 4457 upon re-importation, and does not require an approved import permit (ATF-6), provided that CBP is satisfied that the firearm was previously exported from the United States and is now being returned. To establish such proof, a bill of sale, receipt, copy of ATF Form 4473, household effects inventory, packing list, or registration on Customs Forms 4457 or 4455 may be used, if the registration form is completed prior to departure from the U.S. For military personnel, a properly executed Department of Defense Form 12521 signed by either the serviceman’s commanding officer or an authorized Customs officer may be used. The acceptability of such proof is within the purview of the Customs officials at the port of entry.

Re: Traveling with hunting rifles outside the US [Re: TonyinVA] #5737589 05/10/15 06:35 PM
W
WCI Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Rifle was pretty easy but I got some hassle on the ammo. No trouble what-so-ever with the bow gear.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide