Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WiFi at the ranch? #5698937 04/14/15 12:09 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Okay....so, I have a little more than a "hunting camp"... I got that. I know many of you have a ranch that is not "roughing it" and you probably get a few jokes once in a while. It's all good, but I am curious. Is WiFi in all the deer stands going too far for you?

We have a ...pretty nice cabin, I think. We have electricity... lots of A/C (enough to make the wife grab a blanket on the hottest day of the year.. heh), a couple refrigerators (gotta have one just for the drinks, right?), and momma does not have to find a bush. So... we needed a phone line so we could reach momma or the kids at any time. The best "deal" came with Internet, right? So.. I had a 24ft antenna laying around (after I paid for it.. lol)... and figured, "why not add a camera to watch the deer when we are not there?" right? bif bam boom, 5 cameras later (mostly watching the cabin atm) and we have wifi around the ranch (okay.. it was only working for last weekend...we were waiting on a part before we installed it permanently)....that came in, so we will go down next month and hook it all up again.

So.. since it is early, I ramble.. but to ME.. I like being able to send texts and pictures from my stand. Sure, when I was a kid, we did not do this.. but.. we also did not have cell phones :P

Would you do it if you had the ability?

Does it take away from the "fun" you have?

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5698999 04/14/15 12:55 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I would do it. I don't see any negatives. The positive for me would be if I had work come up I wasn't planning on that would allow me to get it done and hunt at the same time. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699017 04/14/15 01:10 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I don't know about wifi, but i take my phone with me out to my blind and enjoy being able to use it to go online while it's too dark to see anything. I also have a book and some magazines in there to read when it's light enough to see and I'm not seeing anything.

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699055 04/14/15 01:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
For me it would be taking away from the reason I go hunting, that is to get away from the day to day. I would not do it if it were me on my place.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699135 04/14/15 02:21 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I hear ya, stx. I really only added the wifi for a phone, but now it gives me the ability to log in from home and watch a live feed. It is not fancy.. cannot see a lot.. but I can see deer running around sometimes, and makes me feel like I am there a little.. heh

The rest is just because it is there :P

Nothing like getting a text from a buddy that there is a big buck in front of him, then calling him and reminding him his ringer is on.. cackle!

Russ

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699170 04/14/15 02:40 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
At the ranch I hunt on we have cell coverage on most of the stands from an AT&T tower across the highway from the front gate. The only wifi we have is at the main house. Not many use the wifi but the cell coverage has been a god-send for us for getting downed animals and emergency situations.
I like the idea of being able to log in and watch cameras though.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699177 04/14/15 02:44 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I like having my phone but I don't use it too much because at several of my stands, if you aren't really paying attention they'll be in and out of the available shot before you can put the phone down and get ready.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699430 04/14/15 04:37 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
We have 4G service in all our blinds so the added cost of wifi is not necessary. Grandkids would love wifi at camp but I would rather them be outdoors when they are there. They get all the PC time they need at home.

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5699478 04/14/15 04:57 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I would do it. I don't see any negatives. The positive for me would be if I had work come up I wasn't planning on that would allow me to get it done and hunt at the same time. up

I "sorta" feel the same way, just another nice amenity, but if you are going to do a "little work" while hunting, might as well stay at the office and hunt online and let the remote rifle do it's job. scared

I say if it makes financial sense to you, wire the blinds up. I'm not in mine long enough to consider that expense, even if I had boatloads of cash.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699499 04/14/15 05:05 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Oh, we do not open the wifi up totally.. i.e. it is just for making a call or sending a text so people can stay connected in an emergency. It is only 3mbps... so not really that fast heh.

I just like sending texts or a picture to the kids once in a while while I am waiting wink

Russ

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699519 04/14/15 05:13 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I would do it so I could work from there. If I had wifi where I hunted I would spend all of November there.

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699616 04/14/15 06:07 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
As I've mentioned in other threads, I use the Wi-Fi hotspot capability from my iPad to provide Internet and VPN access to my employer network (via my laptop) and work from my trailer as easily as working from the home or office. And of course, a separate cell phone allows me to make calls as needed. I just have to be careful that the sounds of the cows in the pasture are not heard on conference calls when I use speakerphone capability. For the most important calls, I use a headset and mute as needed. I've also answered emails and can access instant messaging from the deer blind using the iPad, even though I'm off the clock at the time. There are times when you want to stay informed, even though you're not officially on the job.

Just be careful of data charges if you're on a measured plan for your own personal use.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699621 04/14/15 06:11 PM
JohnRussell Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I was looking at the DirectTV option, but it was a 10gb limit and I did not want overage charges.

So, instead, we opted to buy the equipment for a point to point telephone system that gives us 3mbps unlimited. It was about $5k, but we got to make payments and pay it off over 3 years and then it is only the monthly charges of the internet itself.

Russ

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699648 04/14/15 06:25 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I have Direct TV in my Camper, I enjoy watching the news and weather before bed and the phone helps the sit if its slow but I dont think I would utilize enough to warrant the Wifi Mr. Russell..

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699655 04/14/15 06:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
I was looking at the DirectTV option, but it was a 10gb limit and I did not want overage charges.

So, instead, we opted to buy the equipment for a point to point telephone system that gives us 3mbps unlimited. It was about $5k, but we got to make payments and pay it off over 3 years and then it is only the monthly charges of the internet itself.

Russ

If it allows you to remain work productive at a time when you would not be otherwise, it makes complete sense. Of course, the value it brings in being able to mix work and pleasure is not to be missed. So long as workers remain project focused and meet their deadlines or satisfy sales quotas, all is good.

Those who still believe that workers must be "at work" to be productive are ingnoring the power in today's distributed workforce. Not only has greater mobility made people more productive, it helps improve overall quality of work and the amount of time workers stay plugged into their projects.

Again, work is not a place but what you get done.

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: Texas Dan] #5699661 04/14/15 06:29 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

Russ

If it allows you to remain work productive at a time when you would not be otherwise, it makes complete sense. Of course, the value it brings in being able to mix work and pleasure is not to be missed.

Those who still believe that workers must be "at work" to be productive are ingnoring the power in today's distributed workforce. Not only has greater mobility made people more productive, it helps improve overall quality of work and the amount of time workers stay plugged into their projects.

Again, work is not a place but what you get done.

Thats actually a great point...
I have to remain in contact at least via text or email with my guys 24/7..Luckly I have signal at the stand and spotty around camp..But if for that reason yes it would be worth it

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699669 04/14/15 06:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The only problem that has plagued me with greater work mobility is explaining to the wife why I continue to check and respond to emails after hours.

If you're not careful, the increased work mobility will do just the opposite of what worries some managers most. It can make you a true workaholic.

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699677 04/14/15 06:41 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
the heck with what other people say. if its what you enjoy do it. One of the biggest benefits for me at the lease is getting away from electronics but do what makes you happiest.

[Linked Image]
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699679 04/14/15 06:41 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I have to drive a couple of miles just to get phone reception sometimes. WiFi would be awesome.

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: BuckRage] #5699683 04/14/15 06:42 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BuckRage
the heck with what other people say. if its what you enjoy do it. One of the biggest benefits for me at the lease is getting away from electronics but do what makes you happiest.

True.

Still, there are times when I would not be at the lease if it meant not being able to stay on top of a special project.

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699685 04/14/15 06:43 PM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
that being said if we had cell service or data service at the stand or camp I would end up using it bang

[Linked Image]
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5699761 04/14/15 07:28 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
AT&T covers Throckmorton pretty well. I try not to work while at the ranch, but being the IT guy, things happen, and they do call me. I have to remember to silence it in the stand. I have unlimited bandwidth with my plan, so I can turn on Deep Tracks at camp using a little Blue Tooth speaker. I also like to send neenerneenerneener pics to my unfortunate working buddies.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5700513 04/15/15 03:57 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have been known to drive up by our corrals to a high spot at 10pm to tether my laptop to my 4g phone and work on my hood for an hour. Even taken my laptop to the stand on a Friday afternoon hunt while on a conference call.

Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: JohnRussell] #5700638 04/15/15 11:44 AM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
How times have changed. What ever happened to getting out in the woods away from everything and enjoying nature? I carry my phone in case of an emergency. I've never had to pull it out of my pocket.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: WiFi at the ranch? [Re: upsslim] #5700690 04/15/15 12:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: upsslim
How times have changed. What ever happened to getting out in the woods away from everything and enjoying nature? I carry my phone in case of an emergency. I've never had to pull it out of my pocket.

It started when companies began asking employees to do more with less help. The only way they can do it is by using every tool available that helps them work smarter, and from more places.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide