Print Thread
What to look for in a family hunting property #5697359 04/13/15 03:33 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
My extended family has collective been fortunate enough to be in a position where we'd like a piece of hunting property within 3-4 hours of Houston. I'm just looking for any and all suggestions. Right now, for round numbers sake, I thihnk we are looking for around 100 acres.

What do you guys looks for when trying to purchase hunting property?
Is there something I should avoid.

thanks in advance.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5697380 04/13/15 03:43 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Location is key with any property for hunting. Also easements into and across the property. Future easements if any. O&G current surface activity. Will you get any or all minerals? Electricity on property. Water well or windmill or how deep water is. Is that water good for human consumption. What shape are the fences in? Does it have ag or wildlife taxes currently? What is the habitat like on the place and around it on neighbors? Wildlife densities for amount of hunters that will use the land.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5697411 04/13/15 04:00 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I agree with, stxranchman, on several items.
1. Electric and drinkable water on property. NOT nearby or available. Lots of money to bring those to you.
2. Only buy property that has road frontage, not those with easements.
3. Only buy property that currently has Ag or Wildlife exempt taxes. Otherwise, It's 5 years to get that.
4. Habitat, that park-like setting may not be the best to hunt deer in.
5. How close neighbors? If there is a house on all four sides of you. Maybe not the best choice.
6. Very important: only buy what you can afford. Those payments go on for a long time.
6. Have additional money for equipment, sheds, etc that you will be needing.
7. Get it as close to you as you can. Spend your time enjoying the property, not driving to and from it.
8. Be sure you are happy with it. Not like a lease where you can change every year.
9. Once you do everything above, you will never regret working/hunting on your own land.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5697515 04/13/15 04:52 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
I'll help narrow down some of these (btw, keep'em coming. makes me think about things I didn't consider).

1. definitely want some water more for attracting animals than using it as potable water.
2. this will primarily be for hunting and recreational long distance shooting. So game activity/presence is primary objective.
3. no payments here. we have allocated a specific fund for this so it will NOT exceed that nor will we be making payments.
4. need to look more into the tax exemption status.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5697550 04/13/15 05:11 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
All good points. I do disagree on the road frontage requirement. If everything else is what you want then a deeded right of way will take care of that gives you access forever.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: stxranchman] #5697573 04/13/15 05:22 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Location is key with any property for hunting. Also easements into and across the property. Future easements if any. O&G current surface activity. Will you get any or all minerals? Electricity on property. Water well or windmill or how deep water is. Is that water good for human consumption. What shape are the fences in? Does it have ag or wildlife taxes currently? What is the habitat like on the place and around it on neighbors? Wildlife densities for amount of hunters that will use the land.

Can't top that...
Good Luck Sir!!

Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5697914 04/13/15 08:31 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
I'll help narrow down some of these (btw, keep'em coming. makes me think about things I didn't consider).

1. definitely want some water more for attracting animals than using it as potable water.
2. this will primarily be for hunting and recreational long distance shooting. So game activity/presence is primary objective.
3. no payments here. we have allocated a specific fund for this so it will NOT exceed that nor will we be making payments.
4. need to look more into the tax exemption status.

Since you are wanting this for hunting, think about it this way. If you are going to have 3 hunters using the property with each wanting to kill a buck, you will need a high deer population. Hill Country type numbers of deer and game. If you buy a place that has a deer to 10 acres then you will only have 10 deer on 100 acres. If you have a 2.5 doe to 1 buck ratio, you will only have 3 bucks on the property. What is around you and how they hunt is going to greatly effect what you have on the place as far as game.
Another key point will be Antler Restrictions-AR's. They can be of benefit to deer numbers in some areas and in other be a detriment.
I will also say I am not a fan of road or highway frontage on a hunting place. I prefer just a gate on the highway or road at most if at all possible. Poaching is something I would ask the local Game Warden about in any county I was looking to buy in. Ask about theft issues also. Nothing worse than buying or leasing a place only to have someone steal your cameras, feeders, or break in to your camp repeatedly.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5698462 04/14/15 01:08 AM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I agree with every thing said so far. Would emphasize:

Hunting with 'extended family' sounds like more than 100 acres can handle.
4 hours could be a long way and limit the use, Less then two hours could make it more fun.
Some form of shelter for stuff you want to leave (target stands, water barrels, shovel, fork, hand saw, Lawn chairs etc.).

Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: 7ARanch] #5698650 04/14/15 02:33 AM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
All good points. I do disagree on the road frontage requirement. If everything else is what you want then a deeded right of way will take care of that gives you access forever.

This is correct if you have a deeded easement you'll always have access. I second the importance of the property having a current ag/wildlife tax exemption. It will make a HUGE difference in how much you pay in taxes.

Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: rattler03] #5698702 04/14/15 02:50 AM
C
crooked horn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: rattler03

This is correct if you have a deeded easement you'll always have access. I second the importance of the property having a current ag/wildlife tax exemption. It will make a HUGE difference in how much you pay in taxes.

just because a property already has an ag/wildlife exemption for taxes does not mean that it will automatically convey to a new owner.

Thank you...thank you very much
Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5698875 04/14/15 10:46 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Neighbors. About 10 years ago, I looked at a place as an investment. Then, while driving around I found a couple of trailer houses with people that looked like a scene out of the movie Deliverance. I passed and it stayed on the market for years.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5698957 04/14/15 12:21 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Sent you a pm.

Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5699636 04/14/15 06:20 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
make double sure there are no liens/judgements
against the property you look at. there were
some on mine that weren't known of ahead of time,
and if it hadn't been for the title insurance
I purchased, the debts would have passed to me
as the owner. don't get stuck! !
good luck

Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: crooked horn] #5703249 04/16/15 08:21 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: crooked horn
Originally Posted By: rattler03

just because a property already has an ag/wildlife exemption for taxes does not mean that it will automatically convey to a new owner.

This is true but if it doesn't currently have one or the other it will take you five years to get it and it is relatively easy to get it reassigned to you. Both my places had AG exemptions and I converted them to Wildlife very easily.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5704569 04/17/15 03:01 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
^^^ Exactly that.

If it doesn't have the exemption, it's a pain in the arss to get it.

If it's already in place, it's not difficult to keep it.

Always try to get a place with the exemption already in place.

Re: What to look for in a family hunting property [Re: Korean Redneck] #5709379 04/21/15 02:31 AM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Lots of good advice above.

Even deeded easements can result in conflict...who maintains roads and gates? Driving through someone else's hunting property about sunrise, on the first day of rifle season, does not make for good neighbors. If you drive your 4X4 in when its wet, will you be fixing ruts when it dries out. I've seen easements where the property owner tightly controlled keys and changed the locks often, sometimes without notice. If you want extended family/friends to have access, this can get to be a pain.

Rule of thumb...everything else equal about a property, the price per acre will drop about 50% with every 30 minutes of commute time you move way from the nearest city/metro area.

A two hour drive seems like nothing at first...but it gets longer. Four hours is outside of what most people will make very often for a two-day weekend. Think about making that drive after you get home from work on Friday and load the truck...what time will that put you at your new place.

While power, paved roads, and inside plumbing may not mean much to you, the women folks will feel otherwise. Unless the idea is a place to hide from the wife, consider something she will want to go out to...that means you get to do it more often.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide