Print Thread
Blind windows #5696538 04/12/15 11:38 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
H
Short of spending $45 on blind windows, does anyone have pictures of their blind windows?
Thinking of using Plexiglas or lexan, bur can't figure on install ideas to keep water out

Thanks

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Blind windows [Re: hoof n wings] #5696725 04/13/15 01:54 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My blind windows are Home Depot plexiglass. I cut the plexiglass/lexan or whatever it is with my table saw. I put thin plywood above and below the sheet of plexiglass and set the saw blade high enough to cut through the bottom sheet of plywood (1/4 plywood) and the sheet of plexiglass, but not through the top sheet of plywood. That keeps shrapnel from developing if the cut goes wrong. Be careful.

As for keeping the water out, for years I've been using a good silicone sealant where the plywood on the sides meets the window frame. That works Ok, but not great. Just recently I've installed angled rain deflectors (made from roofing tin that I had left over) above all windows. And I sealed them to the blind with a heavy construction adhesive/putty. So far, so good. I should've done that a long time ago.

On the blind windows, which are a bit less than the 48 inches per side of the blind, I have finally settled on 4 pieces of plexiglass, all of equal size. They slide around silently in grooves cut in the upper and lower 2x4's of the window frame. Been doing it like that for years. I cut the grooves on the table saw, with two grooves on the upper and two on the lower 2x4's. The upper grooves are cut deep enough that I can insert the individual window panes deep enough upward to allow me to seat them in the lower groove. Two panes in each groove and you can slide the panes however you wish to block wind and rain or to allow an opening to shoot or glass the area.

I really do like the sliding panes. Works great. Only problem I've had is when I used treated 2x4's the first time. I cut the grooves the right width (that of the tablesaw blade), but when it rained the treated wood swelled and the panes wouldn't slide till the wood dried. But...I learned from that.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Blind windows [Re: hoof n wings] #5696729 04/13/15 01:55 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I used clear acrylic sheeting and not sure what you call the plastic strips I used for the tracks. Total per window was around $3-$4 including the plastic tracks/acrylic. Windows were 10"x14" IIRC

The last blind I built I used this style plastic or PVC strip for the window tracking. I think they are used to connect shower panels or paneling together. It cost around $2 for a 10' long strip.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Blind windows [Re: hoof n wings] #5698486 04/14/15 01:23 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
H
Thanks for the replies. I started to go with the "track in the 2x4" idea, but wasn't sure how much of an opening I wanted.
Im looking at using a couple of hinges or piano hinge and having it fold in. Maybe frame with 1x2 for the Plexiglas to close against.

Re: Blind windows [Re: hoof n wings] #5698503 04/14/15 01:31 AM
T
TheHunted Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
What size openings are you looking to have?

Re: Blind windows [Re: hoof n wings] #5736935 05/10/15 03:39 AM
H
hoof n wings Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
H
Roughly 12 x 46 or so

Re: Blind windows [Re: hoof n wings] #5739275 05/11/15 08:58 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I use plexiglass. If you bring your measurements they'll cut them out for you at the store. At least Lowe's and HD does for me.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Blind windows [Re: hoof n wings] #5739965 05/12/15 11:59 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
Thanks for the replies. I started to go with the "track in the 2x4" idea, but wasn't sure how much of an opening I wanted.
Im looking at using a couple of hinges or piano hinge and having it fold in. Maybe frame with 1x2 for the Plexiglas to close against.

What you're considering, is basically like my fold up deerview windows. I still had to put flashing and weather strip around the window cut out, to keep extra rain and bugs out.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Blind windows [Re: hoof n wings] #5740154 05/12/15 02:00 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
From looking at the pics of the blinds, I'd go with the plexiglass, but would build a different frame than I use for my blinds. Envision an interior frame that looks like a horizontal H, but with two crosspieces instead of one. Each crosspiece is at the side edges of the window opening. The 'long' sections of the horizontal H are above and below the window opening and extend past the left and right edges of the opening at least as far as half the width of the opening. The plexiglass will be held against the wall of the blind by the H frame. The frame will be relieved in the shape and thickness of the plexiglass to allow the two pieces of plexiglass to be slid to the left and right sides of the H frame. The plexiglass will be pressed against the wall,of the blind by the H frame. I'd have a rain deflector above the window on the outside, or there will be some rain leaking inside.

I hope that makes sense as I've described it. Make sure that you remove enough wood to allow the plexiglass to slide loôsely. Otherwise rain could swell the wood and not allow the plexiglass to slide. You might wonder how I know that...

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Blind windows [Re: stxranchman] #5769629 06/02/15 01:55 AM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I used clear acrylic sheeting and not sure what you call the plastic strips I used for the tracks. Total per window was around $3-$4 including the plastic tracks/acrylic. Windows were 10"x14" IIRC

The last blind I built I used this style plastic or PVC strip for the window tracking. I think they are used to connect shower panels or paneling together. It cost around $2 for a 10' long strip.

What type of paneling is that on the top pic?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide