Thinking about making products #5692788 04/09/15 11:57 PM
R
RednecksOasis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Howdy,

I'm mostly new to the forum, but have been reading tips, tricks, and info on the forum for a while. I recently did a bunch of research into things I can use to keep the hogs around longer on our property, I came across hog pipes a number of times. I'd like to start researching more ideas for products which is why I'm here. Anytime we're out hunting we always think of something that we need but can't find...course, a lot of us whip something up with duct tape. I love ideas, suggestions and observations, please feel free to critique!

I gave it a go and had some fun with it. I decided to fancy it up a bit to blend it into the south Texas mesquite a bit so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb. My thought was, if a hog was throwing the Hog Log into the air, seeing a white thing was one more reason they'd turn tail and run. Whereas, slightly camouflaged, they might not be as disturbed when a 200 pound boar starts tossing it around. Course, it's a heck of a lot more visually appealing to the humans than straight white PVC.

My first run was by coating the PVC pipe in spray paint and doing patterns. That smelled. A couple of hogs nuzzled it, some raccoon claw marks on it, and that's it. Back to the drawing board. I cut myself a new 5' section of pipe and started over. Drilled my holes and sat back and loved it. I decided to name it the Hog Log and am currently waiting on the trademark. Yes, I keep thinking of "It's Log" song anytime I look at it.

My thought is this fella, the Hog Log, is made for the hunter that doesn't have time to make his own pig pipe and just wants to get one and throw it out on the ranch.

[img:center]http://static.wixstatic.com/media/249b05...20_0.00_png_srz[/img]

[img:center]http://static.wixstatic.com/media/249b05...20_0.00_png_srb[/img]

Currently the one in the picture is a Texas Mesquite color since that's what I use. I'm going to setup a trail cam to capture some of the piglets messing with the Hog Log next time I'm at the ranch so y'all can see it in action (since I can't find many of those videos online anyway).

I'm new to this world of making products, any feedback is awesome. Y'all can be my resident experts.

Thanks,

Craig

Addicted to Hog Hunting
The Redneck's Oasis
Creator of the Hog Log TM
Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5694505 04/11/15 02:15 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
I gave it a go and had some fun with it. I decided to fancy it up a bit to blend it into the south Texas mesquite a bit so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb. My thought was, if a hog was throwing the Hog Log into the air, seeing a white thing was one more reason they'd turn tail and run. Whereas, slightly camouflaged, they might not be as disturbed when a 200 pound boar starts tossing it around. Course, it's a heck of a lot more visually appealing to the humans than straight white PVC.

You are assuming here that the sight of the PVC pipe will drive the animals away for some reason. That really just hasn't seemed to be the case. Animals don't seem to make a distinction between natural and artificial as humans would do. Painting it seems to appeal more to the hunter than to the animals. If you are worried about artificial appearance, than the smooth texture and non-natural giant lettering doesn't help your cause.

The notion of painting a PVC pipe reminds me of folks that paint feeders in camo as if the coloration makes animals more comfortable with a mechanical device spitting corn versus one that isn't camo. The animals just don't seem to care.

One thing that painting your hog log will do will make it that much more difficult for the hunter to find when the hogs tear it from its chain or the chain from the ground and drive it 50-200 yards away from its original location.

The creativity is great, but the bottom line is that you appear to be solving a problem that isn't a problem. The hogs just don't care what color the pipe is.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5694649 04/11/15 04:10 AM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
It looks nice, but the hogs are good with white PVC...really, they are...

Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5697171 04/13/15 02:03 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You do not need anything on the pipe, that's just added cost. Pig pipes are easiest thing ever to make.

Re: Thinking about making products [Re: dgilbert] #5705296 04/17/15 08:48 PM
Nighteagle Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
im not a hog hunter im an entrepreneur...this may not be the idea that will make it big, but dont ever let that stop you...you have to work every idea no matter how insignifigant it seems, and no matter what other people say. remember folks on here are probably not your customers...

Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5712633 04/23/15 08:00 AM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
What the hell is a pig pipe, a friend wants to know?

Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5712920 04/23/15 02:23 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's for smoking pigs.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5716111 04/25/15 09:52 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I don't think color makes a difference. Aren't the hole too big in your examples?

Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5716167 04/25/15 11:06 PM
R
RednecksOasis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
I appreciate the feedback, always good for the creative processing!

Sure, the hog probably only cares that it's white vs mesquite colored...he only wants the goods. Actually had a couple of additional ideas to add to the pipe. One is to paint the ends a color that stands out or leave them white. The other is to actually add a single LED on either end, one red, one green (like a plane). That way you can see it at night and potentially see the silhouette of a critter before having to turn on a light (if you don't have it around an existing feeder light).

As for the holes, I actually think they're too small on that specific one. I put it out on the ranch to begin playing with. The corn does come out, but slowly. I will probably have a few larger holes and some smaller and stagger them across the log so at least one is always facing the ground regardless of how it is angled.

Yes, a lot of the coloring is for the hunter. Some will care, some will not. I find it appealing. However, turkey or deer? Just this past week I had a client out on a turkey and hog hunt and we found a number of turkey tracks around the log the day after putting it out. Of course it's not intended for those animals, but we always hunt hogs regardless of what game animal we are actually trying to hunt down.

Some additional things I'm toying with are inserting sections that can hold a scent insert of sorts...or a diesel fill deal if you only want hogs to visit it for next to nothing without drawing in other animals.

Thanks for the critiques amigos! Keep em coming!

Addicted to Hog Hunting
The Redneck's Oasis
Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5716653 04/26/15 02:07 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Yes, a lot of the coloring is for the hunter. Some will care, some will not. I find it appealing. However, turkey or deer? Just this past week I had a client out on a turkey and hog hunt and we found a number of turkey tracks around the log the day after putting it out. Of course it's not intended for those animals, but we always hunt hogs regardless of what game animal we are actually trying to hunt down.

Again, animals just don't care if it is natural or man made. Found turkey tracks near your pig pipe? Really? You know turkeys don't roll pig pipes, right? I found turkey tracks around my truck. I am pretty sure the turkeys didn't try to drive it, either.

Deer don't care about the color either. You are playing the game of wishful thinking and extrapolating correlation to causation when there is none.

The critters were there for the corn, not because they were admiring decoration.

Hole size is very important. If the holes are too big or too numerous, the pipe can be emptied in a night, which makes it a pain in the arse to use if you have to fill it on a daily basis.

What the hell is a pig pipe, a friend wants to know?

A pig pipe is something of an on-demand feeder for hogs. You take a PVC pipe, drill some holes in it, cap one end and fill with corn, cap the other end, attached on end to a chain or cable, stake cable in ground, and spill a little corn around the pipe to get the hog's interest. When they nudge/roll the pipe, the holes trickle out corn.

One of the neat things of a pig pipe is that as a slow, on-demand feeding system, it keeps a pig or pigs around to feed for longer periods which ostensibly gives the hunter a better chance of encountering hogs at the location. The downsides to pig pipes is that they tend to be low capacity, can be emptied over a short period of time, and despite hunter efforts, have a tendency to get broken from the stake and driven some distance away.

To overcome such hurdles, many hunters have gone to more heavy duty construction and got with pig barrels. The capacity is larger. Pigs can still make them work. Plus, they are easier to find when they get broken loose.

Notice the color doesn't bother them at all?

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5716722 04/26/15 02:55 PM
D
DavidK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I use pure white PVC, hogs have no problem with it in short time, so camo doesn't matter as it just makes it harder to find when the pigs rip the swivels apart and I'm trying to find how far it went lol.

Wilson Combat Pro Staff
Re: Thinking about making products [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5718108 04/27/15 03:08 PM
R
RednecksOasis Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
[quote]Again, animals just don't care if it is natural or man made. Found turkey tracks near your pig pipe? Really? You know turkeys don't roll pig pipes, right? I found turkey tracks around my truck. I am pretty sure the turkeys didn't try to drive it, either.

Deer don't care about the color either. You are playing the game of wishful thinking and extrapolating correlation to causation when there is none.

The critters were there for the corn, not because they were admiring decoration.

Notice the color doesn't bother them at all?

Thank you for your creative input.

The color is there because I like it and I don't like settling for less when I can have more. I can't not tinker with things in my vehicles or in hunting endeavors. Like I said before, it's for the hunters not the animals.

No [censored], a turkey wouldn't roll a hog pipe? I figured they all took roids and could lift 2 times their weight...

I should probably provide a disclaimer:

"Deer may look and act like interior decorators with prissy attitudes. Whilst they strut their stuff safely outside of deer season you may note them sampling corn from your Hog Log, however, don't let that fool you into thinking they enjoy the aesthetically pleasing camo shades and tones. Similarly, Turkey have a keen sense of eye sight like an eagle. They might be strutting around the Hog Log, showing off their feathers for all the hens. But should you see them sampling corn from your Hog Log, don't assume they find the camo pattern particularly alluring. We can quote an expert optimist that "The critters were there for the corn, not because they were admiring the decoration". While you may admire your hog log, the animals won't care about the decorations. We know, it seems obvious, but that's why disclaimers exist."

Something like that.

I'm working on coming up with ideas for business, I know not everyone will either get the ideas I'm pushing or care to contemplate their uses. That is what the free market is for. I enjoy creating.

Addicted to Hog Hunting
The Redneck's Oasis
Re: Thinking about making products [Re: RednecksOasis] #5744387 05/15/15 12:23 AM
R
retfuz Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I always painted my feeder colors close to surrounding vegatation. Not for the game animals, but to make it less obvious to the thieves who travel nearby roads and trespassers.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide