Print Thread
Rookie questions on Turkey #5693036 04/10/15 02:14 AM
D
DoveMaster Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Any help really really appreciated guys, thanks!

1. What size, type of shotgun shells should i purchase? Does it have to be non-toxic?

2. Is it better to use a pop up blind(can get kind of hot this time of year), which i do have, or ok/acceptable to be camoflaged dressed, and hunt on a 5 gallon bucket (Will they see me?) I painted the buckets black and green.

3. If i finally shoot one, how long before the meat goes bad, and should i field dress it right then and there, or ok to do once i get home, about 45 min away?

4. Is it like deer, in that you can shoot 30 min before sunup, and 30 min after sundown?

Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: DoveMaster] #5693092 04/10/15 02:45 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
1. High Velocity shotshell with 4's, 5's or 6's. You should really pattern your gun so you know where your point of impact is relative to your point of aim.
2. A pop-up blind is fine...most turkeys don't spook to blinds. If not in a blind, make sure you're in camo head to toe, and remain still when birds are close. A tom will usually be much more wary than a hen or jake.
3. You're fine if you can get it home and clean it in an hour.
4. Correct - 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after are legal shooting hours.

Gman

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: DoveMaster] #5693382 04/10/15 12:05 PM
T
talkturkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DoveMaster
...(Will they see me?)

They SEE everything, but they are really really dumb, especially when in love

Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: talkturkey] #5693507 04/10/15 01:29 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Get a good turkey vest with a good cushion seat. Then just set on the ground up against a tree. Put your decoy out in front with plenty of room for a clean shot. If you know you have a Tom coming in, have your gun up and ready. If the bird comes in and your not in position, don't try to force the shot. Let the shot come to you. Once he spots the decoy, he will eventually work his way in your shooting lane.

Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: DoveMaster] #5693598 04/10/15 02:33 PM
O
oozzyy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I have only been turkey hunting about 5 years and it took a while before I bought a cheap guilly suit. Bought it at bass pro shop for $60 and a camo head cover that matches the suit for $25 and now I am able to get close to turkey hogs and deer. I sit next to a tree and bush and the deer will get 10 feet away and look at me and if I do not move they just keep on eating. Hogs and turkey get really close and the key is not to move. That is a cheap fix if you ask me. I even have a extra suit for people I take hunting with me. It really works for me.

Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: DoveMaster] #5693906 04/10/15 05:49 PM
D
DoveMaster Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
What about time of day, is it just as effective hunting last 2 hours of day vs morning? Was thinking of taking my son this afternoon, but not sure if I should just wait and take him Sun or Mon morning instead?

Thanks for the Ghillie suit idea oozzyy, i found this site online, pretty cool http://www.ghilliesuitwarehouse.com/
Will keep in mind for duck hunting as well...

Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: sqiggy] #5693919 04/10/15 06:04 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Get a good turkey vest with a good cushion seat. Then just set on the ground up against a tree. Put your decoy out in front with plenty of room for a clean shot. If you know you have a Tom coming in, have your gun up and ready. If the bird comes in and your not in position, don't try to force the shot. Let the shot come to you. Once he spots the decoy, he will eventually work his way in your shooting lane.

I can't ever remember sitting in a blind to call one in, I like to be able to adjust if needed and I am not hauling a bunch of "stuff" around. a decent cushion (water proof) is the fanciest I get.

I shoot a 12g and I really have enjoyed using the 2x4 turkey loads over the years, but have taken them with cheapo Walmart 6's w/full choke.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: DoveMaster] #5694097 04/10/15 08:30 PM
L
Lipan Creep Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Any help really really appreciated guys, thanks!

1. What size, type of shotgun shells should i purchase? Does it have to be non-toxic?

2. Is it better to use a pop up blind(can get kind of hot this time of year), which i do have, or ok/acceptable to be camoflaged dressed, and hunt on a 5 gallon bucket (Will they see me?) I painted the buckets black and green.

3. If i finally shoot one, how long before the meat goes bad, and should i field dress it right then and there, or ok to do once i get home, about 45 min away?

4. Is it like deer, in that you can shoot 30 min before sunup, and 30 min after sundown?

I prefer 12 gauge 3.5" in 4's. I really like the Winchester Long Beard XR's

I hunt out of pop ups and I hunt on the ground in camo. Either works well, but pop up is best especially if you are hunting with kiddos.

I have a cooler with ice and Ziploc baggies. I'll have the bird breasted and on ice within 20 minutes of putting it down.

Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: DoveMaster] #5694810 04/11/15 01:35 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
What about time of day,
I think every turkey I have killed has been after 9am. Have been with people that has killed them later in the afternoon.
All you have to know is, if you're not out there, your not going to kill one!!!

Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: DoveMaster] #5694833 04/11/15 02:00 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I have taken them all during the day, depends on how they respond, with hens, looking for hens. Have had them fly down off the roost as close as 10 yards and you could feel the wind from their wings. Seems the last hr of light, is the worst odds for me though.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Rookie questions on Turkey [Re: DoveMaster] #5695638 04/12/15 02:55 AM
D
DoveMaster Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Western, you hit the nail there with my experience on the "Seems the last hr of light, is the worst odds for me though".... I hunted the past 2 days on some public and heard them gobbling when i get setup around 5pm in the afternoon, and then both afternoons i didn't hear any gobbles last hour of sunlight it seems....I struck out, was not able to get any to come to me. I'm thinking i should either try in the morning or start earlier in the afternoon. I would think if i was a turkey, it would want to be up in a tree roost before Wiley Coyote starts making his move, so i guess last hour they are working back to get up in trees...

Anyone else experience this?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide