Print Thread
Anyone planting Millet? #5688925 04/07/15 09:59 PM
P
PavurOutdoors Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Anyone going to plant millet this year? I just bought some seeds and going to start planting in a month. I was going to see when every one else is planting? I am in North Texas

Pavur Outdoors
CAST & BLAST-DEER,HOGS,QUAIL,DUCKS,DOVE
Trophy Catfish & Crappie
Facebook: Pavur Outdoors
940-206-6375
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5688930 04/07/15 10:01 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Always do with my spring plots.. you will want to cover it or the birds will get most

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5688936 04/07/15 10:03 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Oh your planting for ducks. End of this month to mid of next month...really all depends on when you want it to seed

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5689309 04/08/15 02:09 AM
P
PavurOutdoors Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Thanks Navasot!

Pavur Outdoors
Trophy Catfish & Crappie
940-206-6375
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5689561 04/08/15 04:30 AM
R
Run-N-Gun Adventures Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
We plant ours in Aug for the ducks. Planted right at 300 acres last year and will be pushing over 600 acres this year. We plant for big duck season though, not early teal.

Daniel Kubecka
Run-N-Gun Adventures
Premier Waterfowl Hunting & Bay Fishing
Cell: 979.240.5312
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: Run-N-Gun Adventures] #5689651 04/08/15 11:19 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Japanese millet? Plant it now and it will be dead by July. Earliest I ever planted it was late July.

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5689801 04/08/15 01:34 PM
R
REQ Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Are yall planting Japanese or brown top, or a mixture. Is it necessary to drill in or will broadcasting work?

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: Guy] #5689827 04/08/15 01:55 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Guy
Japanese millet? Plant it now and it will be dead by July. Earliest I ever planted it was late July.

I was under the impression that it would head out and replant itself?

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: REQ] #5690410 04/08/15 07:29 PM
R
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: REQ
Are yall planting Japanese or brown top, or a mixture. Is it necessary to drill in or will broadcasting work?

Both. It depends on the seed bed. We drill in some and broadcast others. Jap likes moisture and brown just needs moisture to start growing and then a little rain here and there and it's good. Jap needs water much like rice and brown more like milo, to much moisture on the brown and it'll drown.

Daniel Kubecka
Run-N-Gun Adventures
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: Ramball36] #5690718 04/08/15 10:32 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ramball36

That would be the only reason for doing it. Not sure if that is best, or just waiting till end of Summer. Run & Gun is the expert planting 300 acres, good lord! I'm sure he knows...

I tried planting millet on my small wet land 4 or 5 years, all for the fun of it, think one season the stars aligned and it worked out, other seasons the millet planting was pretty much a bust. For Japanese millet to reseed itself, you would need a seeding bed that is moist all summer, or a real wet summer, or some kind of irrigation system. Only thing I have ever planted was Japanese millet, and I have always planted it by throwing on mud flats as wet-land draws down...I have done natural draw downs, and also pulled riser boards.. In a draw down situation, after a month or so, the spot that was a mud flat is no longer a mud flat, in which case the millet has grown all it will grow, assuming no more rain. I would have done better starting with brown top say late July/early August, then late August go Jap millet (brown top spots would be dry and doing fine, Jap millet would be hurting with lack of moisture in those spots)..

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5690881 04/09/15 12:16 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Where do y'all get your seed?

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: Guy] #5690999 04/09/15 01:31 AM
R
Tracker
Tracker
R

That would be the only reason for doing it. Not sure if that is best, or just waiting till end of Summer. Run & Gun is the expert planting 300 acres, good lord! I'm sure he knows...

I tried planting millet on my small wet land 4 or 5 years, all for the fun of it, think one season the stars aligned and it worked out, other seasons the millet planting was pretty much a bust. For Japanese millet to reseed itself, you would need a seeding bed that is moist all summer, or a real wet summer, or some kind of irrigation system. Only thing I have ever planted was Japanese millet, and I have always planted it by throwing on mud flats as wet-land draws down...I have done natural draw downs, and also pulled riser boards.. In a draw down situation, after a month or so, the spot that was a mud flat is no longer a mud flat, in which case the millet has grown all it will grow, assuming no more rain. I would have done better starting with brown top say late July/early August, then late August go Jap millet (brown top spots would be dry and doing fine, Jap millet would be hurting with lack of moisture in those spots)..

Not sure we're experts, but we've learned a few things over the years, some being the hard way.

Perfect situation for Brown top is disc and then drill seed in so it gets good moisture to come up. Once it starts growing, you only need a little rain to keep it going. It's better to be dry than wet. Once you get 45-50 days in, you can flood as it's already headed out. It's very fragile and will lay over once it starts to turn brown and dry.

Perfect situation for Jap is to keep water on pond until about a week before you want to plant. Pull water off and while pond is still a mud flat, broadcast seed before the soil starts to crust over. Within 5-7 days it'll come up. Once it has started coming up, put the boards back in. Jap likes water and will grow much like rice, it's hard to drowned it out. Better to have more water than dry conditions. It will grow in water.

With both, keep an eye out for army worms, they can wipe out a 25 acre field in a few days(one of the hard lessons). Put up electric fence for cows, deer and hogs. Once the deer find it, it's hard to keep them out. You'll spend lots of nights out there running them out.

Hope this helps. We learn more and more each year. Our biggest asset is being able to get ahold of all the equipment to prepare the ponds perfectly before planting. Make sure you leave a run way to get access to blind if it's in the middle of pond and I would recommend flagging it so you know exactly where it is once water is put on it. Not sure if this is needed, but we do it so no questions are asked and game wardens know we are well within the regulations. We even take pictures of it growing everywhere but the run ways just to be on the safe side.

Daniel Kubecka
Run-N-Gun Adventures
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: Run-N-Gun Adventures] #5691056 04/09/15 02:00 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Run-N-Gun Adventures
Make sure you leave a run way to get access to blind if it's in the middle of pond and I would recommend flagging it so you know exactly where it is once water is put on it. Not sure if this is needed, but we do it so no questions are asked and game wardens know we are well within the regulations. We even take pictures of it growing everywhere but the run ways just to be on the safe side.

Oh you had to bring it up, here comes the "manipulation" debate. roflmao

This must be a Texas argument, because OK wildlife department drops seed all over public land by plane with no issues of manipulation, but for some reason many Texas IGWs want to make fuss of it (you got to wait a year before you hunt it BS).

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: BradyBuck] #5691058 04/09/15 02:01 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Where do y'all get your seed?

Feed store.

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5691075 04/09/15 02:14 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Brady any feed store should have some or be able to get it. I paid $55/sack last year iirc

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5691295 04/09/15 04:36 AM
B
brazosboyt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I plant July 1, August 1, sept 1 and even oct 1 on warner years. The oct planting will grow about 6" high and produce a small a seed head. Great habitat for invertebrates.

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5691361 04/09/15 10:59 AM
S
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Tunner seed is a good place

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: brazosboyt] #5691557 04/09/15 01:15 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: brazosboyt
I plant July 1, August 1, sept 1 and even oct 1 on warner years. The oct planting will grow about 6" high and produce a small a seed head. Great habitat for invertebrates.

I normally planted every weekend for about 4 to 6 weekends in a row, starting late July or early August. During those months when it is hot, and no rain, draw down is natural, and there are new mud flats to hit with seed every weekend.

No harm in planting on natural draw down, habitat only improves. But letting water out, I question if that is better vs just leaving water in, retaining milfoil/hydrilla habitat which I would think holds more invertebrates.

And if you cannot pump water back in (which I can't, wish I could), letting water out to plant is very risky, especially in these drought conditions, that burned me bad one season, pretty sure that was the last season I let water out.

Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: Guy] #5692052 04/09/15 05:06 PM
R
Tracker
Tracker
R
Make sure you leave a run way to get access to blind if it's in the middle of pond and I would recommend flagging it so you know exactly where it is once water is put on it. Not sure if this is needed, but we do it so no questions are asked and game wardens know we are well within the regulations. We even take pictures of it growing everywhere but the run ways just to be on the safe side.

Oh you had to bring it up, here comes the "manipulation" debate. roflmao

This must be a Texas argument, because OK wildlife department drops seed all over public land by plane with no issues of manipulation, but for some reason many Texas IGWs want to make fuss of it (you got to wait a year before you hunt it BS).

We'd rather be safe than sorry and wanted to stay ahead of all the IGW. We've been told we don't have to do everything we do as far as marking/flagging, but we can't afford to take any chances. If you're not trying to bend the rules or play in the grey area, you'll be fine.

Daniel Kubecka
Run-N-Gun Adventures
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: Run-N-Gun Adventures] #5697076 04/13/15 01:09 PM
P
PavurOutdoors Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P

Not sure we're experts, but we've learned a few things over the years, some being the hard way.

Perfect situation for Brown top is disc and then drill seed in so it gets good moisture to come up. Once it starts growing, you only need a little rain to keep it going. It's better to be dry than wet. Once you get 45-50 days in, you can flood as it's already headed out. It's very fragile and will lay over once it starts to turn brown and dry.

Perfect situation for Jap is to keep water on pond until about a week before you want to plant. Pull water off and while pond is still a mud flat, broadcast seed before the soil starts to crust over. Within 5-7 days it'll come up. Once it has started coming up, put the boards back in. Jap likes water and will grow much like rice, it's hard to drowned it out. Better to have more water than dry conditions. It will grow in water.

With both, keep an eye out for army worms, they can wipe out a 25 acre field in a few days(one of the hard lessons). Put up electric fence for cows, deer and hogs. Once the deer find it, it's hard to keep them out. You'll spend lots of nights out there running them out.

Hope this helps. We learn more and more each year. Our biggest asset is being able to get ahold of all the equipment to prepare the ponds perfectly before planting. Make sure you leave a run way to get access to blind if it's in the middle of pond and I would recommend flagging it so you know exactly where it is once water is put on it. Not sure if this is needed, but we do it so no questions are asked and game wardens know we are well within the regulations. We even take pictures of it growing everywhere but the run ways just to be on the safe side.

What do you mean by these runways?

BTW thanks for all the info

Pavur Outdoors
Trophy Catfish & Crappie
940-206-6375
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: PavurOutdoors] #5697204 04/13/15 02:21 PM
R
Tracker
Tracker
R
[/quote]

What do you mean by these runways?

BTW thanks for all the info [/quote]

As you can see behind the blind we're digging in, we left a runway unplanted so we have access in/out of the blind without driving over any millet. The runway actually continues past the blind and out the other side of the pond as well so we can pull in and drop customers and gear off and then keep driving straight out without having to turn around. Hope this answers your question.

Daniel Kubecka
Run-N-Gun Adventures
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: Navasot] #5699907 04/14/15 09:10 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Oh your planting for ducks. End of this month to mid of next month...really all depends on when you want it to seed
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Bit early for my taste- won't be any left for big ducks/ after split. Been drawing mine down- lots moisture. Loads of smartweed. Probably do late August for big ducks in mud flats- depends on how dry summer is. Did jap tends to head out in 90 days or so from what I have seen. Browntop maybe s little earlier.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Anyone planting Millet? [Re: Ramball36] #5699912 04/14/15 09:13 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Rarely. Browntop never

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Previous Thread