Print Thread
Hunting on a Student Budget #5686508 04/06/15 04:27 PM
L
Lead Kisses Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
So I'm from the Great Lakes region and am down in Dallas going to school at UNT. I'm looking to get into some hunting down here, but don't have any connections at the moment. In Michigan, there is tons of state land if you don't have access to privately owned, so budgeting for a gun or two on a lease doesnt make me super stoked. Does anyone have any suggestions to getting into a cheaper lease or something? I'm looking for a place to responsibly shoot/sught in guns and to take only hogs and maybe the occasional rabbit. Whitetail would be nice, but I understand that it comes at a price.

I'd prefer East Texas I think (I'm under the impression that it is cooler and there's less stabbie vegetation) and don't mind helping out with property upkeep.

Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5686516 04/06/15 04:32 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Go the TPWD website and check on the WMA and public hunting that is available. WMA hunts are on a entry/draw basis for all species of big game and birds, including exotic animals and hogs. Different seasons and weapons to choose from also. Small entry fee is required on each hunt for paperwork and then a fee if you are drawn on a hunt. You can put in for a lot of different hunts with up to 4 hunters total per entry. Public land hunting is available but generally not as well managed and kept as private or state land.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5686517 04/06/15 04:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Your preference for east TX is fortunate. Some pretty good hunting on the Davy Crockett, Sabine, and Sam Houston national forests. Get you some maps, get off the main roads, scout some areas and have fun!

STX is right on about the draw hunts too. A great option.

welcome

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 04/06/15 04:34 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5686595 04/06/15 05:16 PM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
welcome

I wish you successes in your Hunting and Academia.
Hope you shoot a big deer with the assistance of THS members.
GOOD LUCK. deer2 deer2

Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5686737 04/06/15 06:48 PM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Your preference for east TX is fortunate. Some pretty good hunting on the Davy Crockett, Sabine, and Sam Houston national forests. Get you some maps, get off the main roads, scout some areas and have fun!

STX is right on about the draw hunts too. A great option.

welcome

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5686751 04/06/15 06:55 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Bowfishing... lots of public water in that area and is addictive!

Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5687861 04/07/15 10:42 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Lead Kisses
So I'm from the Great Lakes region and am down in Dallas going to school at UNT. I'm looking to get into some hunting down here, but don't have any connections at the moment. In Michigan, there is tons of state land if you don't have access to privately owned, so budgeting for a gun or two on a lease doesnt make me super stoked. Does anyone have any suggestions to getting into a cheaper lease or something? I'm looking for a place to responsibly shoot/sught in guns and to take only hogs and maybe the occasional rabbit. Whitetail would be nice, but I understand that it comes at a price.

I'd prefer East Texas I think (I'm under the impression that it is cooler and there's less stabbie vegetation) and don't mind helping out with property upkeep.

Go down to the local feed store and volunteer a little work for hunts. Picked up some pretty good hunting in my younger days clearing fence lines for free plus I sold the firewood.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Navasot] #5687941 04/07/15 12:15 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Do what I did: Make friends with people with ranches.

If you can afford a bullet you're good to go.

Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5688248 04/07/15 03:13 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
welcome ta THF cheers on the tight budget. First lease got on was for the hog hunts, 24-7-365 a year hunting for less than a buck a year. Whin a WMA opened up just down the road, started hunting public land. Most are archery only for deer around Dallas area, some have gun draw hunts for deer. The Wildlife Management Area's each have different rules & restrictions. Walmart sells the $48.00 yearly permits, & usdta send booklet with all the area's, havent gotten mine yet, got permit last few weeks of all leagel meens hog hunt . Archery hogs, might be one or two shotgun hog area's, & turkey is only thing going on now not sure bout rabbits. May is squirrel&hog hunts. Early morning is best. For deer hunts & dove wait for 2015-2016 permit. Thats my 2cents Always get second opinion, i have cheap posts. Best wishes. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5688537 04/07/15 05:53 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Check out the TPWD draw hunts

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: HWY_MAN] #5688622 04/07/15 06:34 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Go down to the local feed store and volunteer a little work for hunts. Picked up some pretty good hunting in my younger days clearing fence lines for free plus I sold the firewood.

This works.
I couldn't tell how much fence I cleared, blinds I repaired and trash and brush I removed for a chance to shoot at anything.
When I was younger I got in with a land owner. The idea was hunt in the morning, work during the day, hunt the evening. I got to shoot a few does, but pigs and coyotes were unlimited, even got a few bobcats. I even continued to hunt there after I no longer worked for it. I created a good relationship and the land owner appreciated someone that respected her property.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5688730 04/07/15 07:32 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
If you hunt public land your biggest expense is probably going to be the out of state license.

Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5688744 04/07/15 07:49 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

This is just right down the road from UNT.

LBJ National Grasslands

Re: Hunting on a Student Budget [Re: Lead Kisses] #5689531 04/08/15 03:58 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide