Page 1 of 2 1 2
Could my die be out of spec? #5687758 04/07/15 03:54 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
After resizing my 6.8 brass I'm having a real hard time hand cycling the rounds through the weapon. It's almost like the brass is causing the bolt to bind and not unlock. Factory ammo cycles just fine. Does this point to the sizing die needing to have a few thousandths killed off the bottom to ensure proper shoulder bump? My other Hornady dies work fine.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5687814 04/07/15 05:01 AM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Are you trying to crimp with your seating die? I had occasionally problems when I started reloading 6.8 SPC...they went away when I started using Lee Factory Crimp die instead of crimping with the seating die.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5687819 04/07/15 05:06 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
It's getting stuck with unloaded brass. I'm thinking a small base die might be needed instead of just full length.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5688048 04/07/15 01:32 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Please describe your sizing process in detail. And how are you setting up the die, specifically. I doubt your die is out of spec. (In a humorous way), it's probably the reloader out of spec!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5688079 04/07/15 01:48 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yep, Chad is probably right about your die being Ok, but....

Can you borrow a die from a buddy?

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5688208 04/07/15 02:55 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I would re-set up your die, your likely not sizing completely. Had this problem once before as well. After I figured it out I re-set up all my dies.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5688221 04/07/15 03:02 PM
F
Furb Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
F
Had the same issue with my Hornady 300BLK die, the instructions told me that a cam over was not needed as Hornady dies are designed to not require it, well, the shoulder was about .009" to long and I could not close the bolt, a simple 1/4 turn past the die bottoming out on the shell plate and the problem was fixed.

HHUUMMMM, what to write, what to write, I got nothing.
Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5688354 04/07/15 03:54 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Do you have the die against the shell holder when you resize? How much are you bumping the shoulders when you resize?

Last question...does the case chamber and when you lift the bolt handle it lifts so far then clicks and goes the rest of the way up so you can pull it back?

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: ChadTRG42] #5688563 04/07/15 06:06 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Please describe your sizing process in detail. And how are you setting up the die, specifically. I doubt your die is out of spec. (In a humorous way), it's probably the reloader out of spec!

It could be as I really just started paying attention to my 6.8 in the last couple weeks. Out of the 8 cartridges I load for, this is the only one causing me problems.

The die is a Hornady set up exactly per their spec. http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/new_dimension_custom_grade.pdf

I did turn the die an extra 1/8-1/4 turn to hopefully bump the shoulder back.

1. Spray just a little One Shot on the case.
2. Place in shell holder and slowly raise in the die to size.
3. I do another once over to see if I missed any damage or the case was split.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: nak] #5688570 04/07/15 06:09 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: nak
Are you trying to crimp with your seating die? I had occasionally problems when I started reloading 6.8 SPC...they went away when I started using Lee Factory Crimp die instead of crimping with the seating die.

I'm not trying to, but the Hornady dies I use have the crimp built in to the seating die. I think I may need to adjust it to keep from crimping and buy the factory Lee crimp die.

Why would it be causing such a hard extraction?

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: redchevy] #5688571 04/07/15 06:10 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I would re-set up your die, your likely not sizing completely. Had this problem once before as well. After I figured it out I re-set up all my dies.

I've done it 3 times already.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: Furb] #5688574 04/07/15 06:11 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Furb
Had the same issue with my Hornady 300BLK die, the instructions told me that a cam over was not needed as Hornady dies are designed to not require it, well, the shoulder was about .009" to long and I could not close the bolt, a simple 1/4 turn past the die bottoming out on the shell plate and the problem was fixed.

That doesn't make sense to me because if it's contacting the shell plate already then wouldn't the only thing happening is a shorter stroke of the ram?

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5688638 04/07/15 06:42 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Screw the die in some more to cause cam over. Had more than one chamber need lots of force on the FL die to get it sized properly. Here is where you need a very stout loading bench.

CAM IT OVER!

Try it in the chamber if you don't have a headspace gauge. Trial and error until it fits. You may have to get midevil with it.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5688664 04/07/15 06:52 PM
F
Furb Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
F
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone

That doesn't make sense to me because if it's contacting the shell plate already then wouldn't the only thing happening is a shorter stroke of the ram?

We are talking about Thousandths of an inch, a simple 1/6 turn, very light cam over will just ensure that the brass is going into the FL 100%, I'd start there as I already had that issue once before with Hornady dies, then if that doesn't work, check for a bulge at the neck from a possible crimping issue, had that problem with my 6.8SPC AR.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: Furb] #5688771 04/07/15 08:06 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T

We are talking about Thousandths of an inch, a simple 1/6 turn, very light cam over will just ensure that the brass is going into the FL 100%, I'd start there as I already had that issue once before with Hornady dies, then if that doesn't work, check for a bulge at the neck from a possible crimping issue, had that problem with my 6.8SPC AR.

Even 1/4 of a turn might not take every thousandth out?

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: J.G.] #5688773 04/07/15 08:08 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Screw the die in some more to cause cam over. Had more than one chamber need lots of force on the FL die to get it sized properly. Here is where you need a very stout loading bench.

CAM IT OVER!

Try it in the chamber if you don't have a headspace gauge. Trial and error until it fits. You may have to get midevil with it.

Since a SB die (like RCBS) sets the shoulder back to minimum spec would that be easier?

An acquaintance of mine has a different brand of dies and is going to see if they work to rule out the dies.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5688862 04/07/15 09:19 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Cases trimmed to the correct length?

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: decook] #5688870 04/07/15 09:23 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: decook
Cases trimmed to the correct length?

Didn't need to be trimmed this time.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5688918 04/07/15 09:55 PM
F
Furb Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
F
Ok, size and prime, ONLY, a piece of 1X fired brass

If its an AR, drop it the chamber, drop the BCG, pull the trigger and see if the primer goes off, then try to cycle the BCG. If this goes smoothly, then I bet the issue is in the seat/crimp stage, I had this same issue, did not trim the brass and when I set my crimp it happened to be the shortest piece so everyone after that has a little longer neck, this cause the crimp die to put a small, very small, bulge on the case shoulder, the round would not enter full Battery and light strike of primer. I simply removed the Decap/Expander spindle and ran the loaded rounds back through the FL die to fix the shoulder, they worked perfect after that I learned my lesson to ALWAYS trim.

If a bolt, just drop the primed round in, close the bolt, if it closes, then try the resize a loaded round to see if that is it.

If that doesn't fix it, then try the cam over FiremanJG mentioned on teh FL Die.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: Furb] #5688926 04/07/15 10:00 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Ok, size and prime, ONLY, a piece of 1X fired brass

If its an AR, drop it the chamber, drop the BCG, pull the trigger and see if the primer goes off, then try to cycle the BCG. If this goes smoothly, then I bet the issue is in the seat/crimp stage, I had this same issue, did not trim the brass and when I set my crimp it happened to be the shortest piece so everyone after that has a little longer neck, this cause the crimp die to put a small, very small, bulge on the case shoulder, the round would not enter full Battery and light strike of primer. I simply removed the Decap/Expander spindle and ran the loaded rounds back through the FL die to fix the shoulder, they worked perfect after that I learned my lesson to ALWAYS trim.

If a bolt, just drop the primed round in, close the bolt, if it closes, then try the resize a loaded round to see if that is it.

If that doesn't fix it, then try the cam over FiremanJG mentioned on teh FL Die.

Once fired sized brass is getting stuck.

Different brand shell holder causing problem?

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5689033 04/07/15 11:16 PM
F
Furb Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
F
Keep screwing the FL die down 1/4 turn a couple times, all I know to do now.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5689133 04/08/15 12:43 AM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
tenyearsgone I haven't given up yet but I'm confused on something. In your opening post you say "After resizing my 6.8 brass I'm having a real hard time hand cycling the rounds through the weapon" do you mean loaded ammo or just the sized brass?

1. I'm thinking this is a bolt action rifle. Is this right?
2. What happens if you take a freshly sized case and chamber it? Does it stick?
3. Does it stick only after you seat the bullet?
4. Does it stick only after firing?

Could you replicate the sticky situation without priming or charging? If so, can you coat the whole thing with carbon (from a candle) and check for a deep rub?

The final and ultimate check is to measure your 6.8 case after sizing to the baseline SAMMI spec. You can also cerrosafe the sizing die.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5689557 04/08/15 04:26 AM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: nak

I'm not trying to, but the Hornady dies I use have the crimp built in to the seating die. I think I may need to adjust it to keep from crimping and buy the factory Lee crimp die.

Why would it be causing such a hard extraction?

I'm not sure, but maybe I was crush case a little or something. All I know is the tiniest roll crimp and 1/8 or 1/10 of the loaded rounds would fail when dropped in a case gage. Since the day I started using the factory crimp, I have not had that happen again. It also helped bring my SD down some.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: decook] #5689600 04/08/15 05:51 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: decook
tenyearsgone I haven't given up yet but I'm confused on something. In your opening post you say "After resizing my 6.8 brass I'm having a real hard time hand cycling the rounds through the weapon" do you mean loaded ammo or just the sized brass?

1. I'm thinking this is a bolt action rifle. Is this right?
2. What happens if you take a freshly sized case and chamber it? Does it stick?
3. Does it stick only after you seat the bullet?
4. Does it stick only after firing?

Could you replicate the sticky situation without priming or charging? If so, can you coat the whole thing with carbon (from a candle) and check for a deep rub?

The final and ultimate check is to measure your 6.8 case after sizing to the baseline SAMMI spec. You can also cerrosafe the sizing die.

1. AR-15 in 6.8
2. Yes
3. No
4. The fired brass are the only ones not sticking.

Funny thing is that I oiled it last night and after a few times through the gun, the brass cycles easier each time. Loaded rounds too. Maybe the bolt slamming home sizes it just enough? I'm leaning towards needing a small base die (as recommended for once fired brass). It should be here in a few days and hopefully cure the problem.

Re: Could my die be out of spec? [Re: tenyearsgone] #5689647 04/08/15 11:10 AM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I'd be curious to know where the shiny spots are that show up after cycling. I think you are on the right track with the die you ordered. Be sure to update this thread when you try it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide