6237590 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5687232 - 04/06/15 06:23 PM Hunting question
Stickman11b Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Texas
I am new to hunting. My first hunt was with a bow. Very successful and the gentleman that took me was very knowledgeable. Now with that being said. I have not learned about a whole lot between that hunt which was in Nov of 14. Sooo. When I book a another place on my own In Lampasas. I am super stoked. I get to spot and talk walk around stay in a blind what have you. Now this guy was very generous. I had at least a week and a half before he sold the ranch to harvest my doe. This is not so much a question but a opinionated theory from anyone of you fine people.

As I sit in the blind early in the morning to at least noon. No sign of any deer like at all. To make a long story short I txt my other friend who took me with the bow and he tells me to describe to him all that is going on. Where I am how far I am from the feeder. It dawns on him that I am 15-20 yards from a feeder using a rifle. He calls me immediately and tells me that I am not ever going to see a deer because they smelled me before they even got to the feeder. He also informed me that Depending on where I shot the deer there wouldn't be much if at all any meat left. Sad to say A whole nearly two weeks and nothing. I paid 200$ and it wasn't bad at all. In your all's opinion if a person is new to hunting you would help them out correct? I never got any tips from the guy other than park really far from the blind.. Okay, um.. Nothing. Never talked to me about smells or even to bring my own corn. I know for 200$ I shouldn't be complaining. I am just kinda skeptical now about paying more money for a decent hunt and getting the same result. I am going with a guy in Dripping Springs called
AnytimeOutdoors Guide Service Fishing and Hunting Adventures. If you all know of this guy that runs it named Eddie G. Let me know. I have talked to him real cool guy and sold me a good deal but I am just really worried about paying nearly 400$ and being told "well that's why they call it hunting". Also Is it inevitable you are not only going to pay a good amount of money for a hunt but you will be travelling quite a distance? Dripping Springs is 3 hrs away from me and I didn't include the gas on that trip plus food cost and I still gotta learn to gut the doe myself. Please share your stories with me or give me some insight please. Anything helps for a newbie like myself.

#5687247 - 04/06/15 06:35 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
There is alot of good information you can google and go on Youtube to educate yourself on the basics of deer hunting. It' up to you to do this, not the person you pay to hunt with.

You can befriend people you work with or go to church with etc... who have a passion for hunting and they will usually pay it forward to someone new to hunting.

Post the question that you have in the guided hunts section as well. There will probably be hunters and outfitters that know the person you booked with.

Don't expect much for what you are paying. I know that sounds harsh, but it is what it is.

welcome to the forum and the deer hunting addiction.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#5687255 - 04/06/15 06:41 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

welcome

#5687266 - 04/06/15 06:49 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
Stickman11b Offline
Outdoorsman

It's not harsh. I take things with a grain of salt so to say. You are absolutely right about me getting the knowledge but I was just think a tip or two wouldn't hurt after all he had a family to feed so I didn't ask for my money back. I just wish that he kept in mind that I have one to. Thanks for your feedback and I'll post that question right now sir, appreciate your honesty.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY

#5687277 - 04/06/15 06:55 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Have you taken the Hunters Education Safety Training class?

#5687284 - 04/06/15 06:58 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: stxranchman]
Stickman11b Offline
Outdoorsman

Yes I did sir! In Manor. In fact I was asking so many question the guy told me to talk to him after class. He told me about rut season and deer pee and all these awesome tips but he never talked about the Godly like vision, smell, and hearing they have for humans.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY

#5687333 - 04/06/15 07:18 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
REALKILLER Offline
Tracker

Man or woman welcome to what may be your new obsession. Im not going to sit here and talk about how to kill a deer, because there is a lot to learn. Look into some of roger raglins old hunting videos on the web and order one or two. My favorite is invading big buck bedding areas. If I had a teacher I would want it to be him. He was entered into the white tail hall of fame if that means anything to anybody. He is one bad mother. peace out. up

#5687411 - 04/06/15 07:45 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
welcome

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5687475 - 04/06/15 08:17 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
png Offline
Woodsman

On gutting and cleaning animals, the outfitter I went charges a fee as additional service.

I figure the sooner I can do it the better. I watched many videos on how to clean a hog yet the first I got to practice on was a deer.

For those of us who don't have always have that someone to show us, this Forum is a wonderful place. THF members always offer me great help and quickly as we'll.

#5687688 - 04/06/15 09:57 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
Stratgolfer Offline
Bird Dog

YouTube is now what Encyclopedia's used to be for us, ahem, anyway go type in Texas whitetail, field dressing deer-hogs, tracking, ect. there are millions of hours of video to watch.

#5687740 - 04/06/15 10:30 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
dkershen Online   content

Loc: Denton/Argyle
welcome sounds like you need a mentor and to spend time on this board. And if you book hunts, I'd recommend guided, not semi guided so you can soak in knowledge for your $.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#5687767 - 04/06/15 11:07 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
The biggest tip I could give you is stay downwind and be still, don't talk or cough. Good binoculars and obviously a gun that's on target. You'll definitely increase your chances by hunting high deer density areas. Remember, stay quiet, stay downwind, hunt in a blind if possible. Have a good solid rest for your gun. Know the game laws for the county you hunt and always have a couple of sharp knives with a sharpener handy.

Dkershen has the right Idea. You would probably do well by going on a guided hunt, with a guide as your mentor. You'll learn a lot, quickly. Probably have a really neat experience too.

Edited by Erathkid (04/06/15 11:19 PM)

#5687808 - 04/06/15 11:55 PM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
Stickman11b Offline
Outdoorsman

Thank you all for the tips. I am actually glad I am going with the guide I'm paying. He has vowed to stay the entire night with me on this hunt I am paying for. That is the only reason I have not been scared to book with him. I have a list of question that He said he would be glad to answer. As you see I am still up and looking at youtube videos. You all are right though. This is very addicting..

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY

#5687834 - 04/07/15 02:03 AM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
N.La.Beagler Offline
Tracker

Loc: CopperasCove,TX
Stickman, are you at Ft. Hood?

#5688385 - 04/07/15 11:14 AM Re: Hunting question [Re: Stickman11b]
colt.45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: wondering about the woods
welcome ta THF best wishes flag

i'm postaddic