Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Brisket Question #5673925 03/29/15 12:45 AM
HuntingTexas Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Need your opinions please. Just pulled a Cryo vac 20 pound brisket out of the freezer for Easter. It was packed 6-8-13. Did I just find some expensive dog food or do you think this should cook up OK?

Also, never cooked one on my MES, any recipes from those of you that have?

Thanks for the help.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5674153 03/29/15 03:45 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
If there is freezer burn it shouldn't be too bad if cryovac'd. That and trim any evident spots. If smoking you kmight consider brining or plain marinade injection. I personally don't do either but have heard good things. After thaw and trim, I just wash it real good and liberally cover with my rub and let sit overnight. You'll be surprised how much gets pulled into the meat. The day is smoking I coat again. Get smoker going with my way charcoal first and get down to red coals, then add pecan and keep temp around 250-260. Spritz every hour with Apple juice to get a good bark. Turn once in the 6-8 hour smoke time. Pull, wrap and put in oven overnight at 145. Juices just smother the meat but bark is still there. Done this with hog shoulder, elk and beef brisket. Beef is the hardest because of the grain so a slow cook really helps break down the sinew. When I do elk, because of lack of fat, I will only smoke for a couple hours at 250 then wrap angd go to oven. Whatever fat juices are there I will add back to the meat after cuts. Anyway, long answer. If you are cryovaced, do a slow fridge thaw, trim off any burn and proceed from there.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5675562 03/30/15 12:30 PM
C
Classic Rocks Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
You'll be OK.

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5675746 03/30/15 02:20 PM
T
Tres Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Should be good to go, just trim off any freezerburn.

[Linked Image]
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5675787 03/30/15 02:44 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
agree ... should be fine. thaw 24-48 hours in fridge, then take out and trim excess fat off the cap but leave 1/4-1/2 inch. I usually trim some of the fat between the point & flat. liberally coat with your favorite rub (or as simple as salt & black pepper) and put back in fridge over night to absorb. remove from fridge a few hours before you plan on hitting the pit to allow it come up to close to room temperature. I do similar with getting my temp about right using charcoal and then alternate live oak, pecan and mesquite for smoke. I like heavier smoke for brisket and use the a 1/1 method hours/pound but run a lower temperature (170-200) in my vertical smoker for the first half to two thirds of my cycle time, then kick up the fire (220-250) for the next one quarter to one third time to bring internal temp up to 190-195 and hold for 1-1.5 hours depending on size. I then wrap in brown butcher paper or foil and put back in vertical smoker (or can put in the oven @ 160-170 for more even temp) and let it go over night as the fire dies down. I will usually open up the foil the last hour or so to firm the bark back up. I change things up from time to time and play around with things to experiment on textures, bark, tender, smoke, etc.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5681691 04/02/15 10:19 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks for the help guys. Wound up buying another 15 pound choice brisket but I'm going to cook the other one as well at the same time. The newer one is for Easter and the older one will get vacumn sealed for later.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5686509 04/06/15 04:28 PM
E
EdRoth Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
I have deer meat older than that, never had an issue.

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5686667 04/06/15 05:53 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I cooked three year-old backstrap one time, it was fabulous.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5686813 04/06/15 07:21 PM
M
MMarshall Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
How did it turn out?

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5686898 04/06/15 08:04 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Folks have enjoyed eating meat that came from long extinct critters trapped in glacial ice. It was probably older than your brisket.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5687226 04/06/15 11:21 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
They both came out really good but a little dryer than I would have liked. I googled recipes, there are so many recipes, take it out at 185, take it out at 195, take it out at 203 etc. etc. Start at 250 for 4 hours, start at 225 for 8 hours. Next time I'm going to wrap it in foil the whole time and forget about trying to get a good bark. I just want good tender juicy smoked meat. I do appreciate the help all.

lol Cast, might have been juicier too.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5687353 04/07/15 12:24 AM
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Without foil for 2-3 hrs for smoke then foil whala.

[Linked Image]
Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5687511 04/07/15 01:41 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
They both came out really good but a little dryer than I would have liked. I googled recipes, there are so many recipes, take it out at 185, take it out at 195, take it out at 203 etc. etc. Start at 250 for 4 hours, start at 225 for 8 hours. Next time I'm going to wrap it in foil the whole time and forget about trying to get a good bark. I just want good tender juicy smoked meat. I do appreciate the help all.

lol Cast, might have been juicier too.

Don't give up, you have only just begun. If you wrap the whole time you are just going to have a roast. I've cooked a lot of briskets and can give you some tips that I've learned but first you must find a long stick and learn the brisket dance, it's similar to the rain dance only louder. You don't have to wear an Indian head dress, if you are less than 50% Indian you can just turn your ball cap around backwards and will work as long as you get your knees up as high as you can and sing from the heart. Seriously though, shoot me a PM if you need help. I'm no expert but I've cooked a few. yingyang

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5687652 04/07/15 02:42 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Couldn't find a stick but I think I figured out the brisket dance part

" In God We Trust "

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5687661 04/07/15 02:46 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
That's not gonna work, you're doing it wrong. grin

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5687673 04/07/15 02:51 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Guess I kinda knew that already ... dang-it.

I would like an idea of temp to start out, how long? Then when to wrap and what the meat temp should be. I'm using a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker with Maverick temp remote.

Funny thing is I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe that I've used about 4 times and as good as it is I just can't get used to it so I'm going to sell it.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5687744 04/07/15 03:35 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I've never cooked a brisket on an electric smoker but the philosophy is pretty much the same.

Here is what I would do:

1) Pick the most flexible packer brisket you can. Trim the fat cap down between 1/8"-1/4". Rub it down heavy or salt & pepper, people are different on that. Let chill in fridge overnight if you can but don't have to. The longer you chill with the rub the deeper the seasoning will penetrate helping the bark.

2) With whatever wood/coals you choose cook it low & slow as indirect as possible. Use a steam pan! Use apple juice, water, water/beer. I like apple juice in the stem pan but don't baste it with anything. Let the rub & the smoke form the bark/seal in the juices.

3) I like to put the meat on cold/fat side up, and start the cook around 225...keep it there. If it fluctuates between 200/250 even up to 300 short term fine. Always best to maintain a steady low heat though and keep your steam pan up. If using a thermometer you should be looking for an internal temp between 195-200, but ONLY use the thermometer as a guide. Not all briskets will be ready to pull at that temp. If it looks like it has a nice bark, has shrunk down considerably from what it was raw and temp is in that 195/200 range then wrap it up tight. You can also do the old poke test, poke a skewer into the the brisket where the flat meets the point and if it slides right in it's ready ready to pull. I don't like to do this though because as soon as you poke a hole you are losing juices. So, would recommend using your eyes & the meat thermometer as a guide to know when to pull. Practice makes perfect.

4) Wrap 3 or 4 times TIGHT in foil, wrap in an old towel or blanket, put in an empty ice chest for 3-4 hours. Some folks say 1 or 2, I like 3 or 4. This will finish off the cook. Put in fridge overnight, slice the next day when cold and add juices back on top. Cover/reheat.

On my smoker, a 10-14 hr cook and a 3-4 hr rest will turn out a damn good brisket. My BIL cooks his hot & fast & they turn out good. I have never been able to turn out a good hot & fast brisket, in my life. I am a beleiver in low & slow. Use a water pan. pull when meat temp is in range but only when it feels/looks right. Wrap tight, let rest for a more than recommended amount of time. Enjoy. What works on my cookers may not work for you, but the guidelines are the same IMO. Salt is important in your rub, don't pass that up. It is needed for flavor, for establishing the smoke ring, and for sealing the meat. I like mesquite only on my briskets but mesquite/hickory is pretty good. Folks have different preferences on wood. Cook low & slow with a steam pan until you have good bark and feels right, wrap and leave it to finish, don't rush it.

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5687763 04/07/15 03:58 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Great info, thanks for being so thorough. I'll try it your way the next time.

One thing I did on the two I cooked ( you'll probably think I'm crazy ) is I double wrapped them in heavy duty foil, wrapped them in a blanket then put them in a coleman extreme ice chest for 9 hours. That's probably where I messed up but dang, everytime I checked them they were still very warm. Even when I took them out they were still a little warm.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5688166 04/07/15 02:34 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I cooked one for Easter came our great.

13 lb brisket. 2/3 cup kosher salt 1/4 cup garlic salt, 1/3 cup course black pepper. Trim large fat cap to approx. 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Generously season with rub, place over indirect heat between 225 and 325 for 4 hours not wrapped. Then wrap in foil and cooked for 3 more hours. Remove from foil rub with brown sugar let cook another 30 min to hour. Take off and let rest in an ice chest for at least 30 min, an hour is better, I did mine for 2 hours this past weekend and it still burned me when cutting it.

Every one has their own way, this isn't even my normal way, but I tried something new and it turned out pretty awesome. The lower the temp the longer you have to cook it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5688172 04/07/15 02:36 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Oh and the other part of good brisket is cutting it correctly. You cant cut the whole brisket the same direction and still cut against the grain. I usually separate point and flat to cut. And for pete's sake don't trim all the fat off of it when cutting it like some do that is where the flavor is!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5688240 04/07/15 03:09 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
as you can tell from all the responses here and the endless number of recipes on the net, there are a multitude of ways to smoke/cook a brisket. There is no perfect way to use every time and the meat also can vary quite drastically. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, My wife and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum with the amount of smoke as I prefer very heavy smoke flavor and she would almost prefer a roast in a crock-pot (actually she would probably prefer chicken). I used to could nail 99.9% of the time on hitting my three marks (smoke, moist, tender) with my old pit but I used it for roughly 20 years before it burned out and I wanted a bigger pit. I am still having to play around with my current LyfeTyme pit as it cooks and heats totally different and uses a lot more charcoal/wood to get the temperature to where I like to maintain over time but I can put a whole lot more stuff on it at a time. You can play around with different things and make notes on what you like and what you don't, note those for the next time, keep building on those you do like ... just takes a little time to get to where you want to be ... but even then, occasionally you will hit a tough son of a gun brisket that seems flexible from the start.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5688270 04/07/15 03:21 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I cooked 2 briskets and dozen racks of ribs for an event for my class in college. I seasoned them in a hung over hurry the night before and they were easily the best two briskets I have ever cooked. I don't even know what I put on them... I was sober for the actual cooking/eating of them.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Brisket Question [Re: HuntingTexas] #5688504 04/07/15 05:26 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
First trim it a little if needed, wash and pat dry, then salt it on both sides. Make yourself a rub using brown sugar and Canadian Steak Seasoning (coarse salt, pepper, and garlic). Open a can of Chipotle and dump it in the blender and spin it to a paste. Dump half of it on top of the brisket and smear it around to make a good thick coat and turn it over and repeat. Once it's painted, start pouring on the rub and pat it into the Chipotle, all it will hold. Do both sides. By now, your smoker should be ready, keep it under 200*. Ease the brisket on the smoker and go have a beer or two. Depending on the wood used, smoke from a few hours to several hours. If you're in a hurry, use mesquite. After it has smoked, ease it onto a pan and get your Sam's box of HD aluminum foil. Wrap it lengthwise, then crosswise, and repeat until it has several layers of foil and is completely sealed. Now throw it in a 250* oven overnight. It will wake you up through the night as it cooks and fills the house with BBQ aroma. In the morning, remove it from the oven and slit the foil open, but beware the steam explosion. Drain the juices through the slit, and remove the brisket from the foil to a baking pan. Tip - It will be falling apart tender and juicy, so handle it carefully, or chill overnight before handling. You can finish it on the grill or in the oven at 350* for about 30 minutes, just to firm up the crust. When it's ready to serve, it will be too tender to slice well, so once again, be careful, or chill it before slicing. It slices best when almost frozen, and warms up very well in a microwave or an oven for serving.

I've cooked tons of these, both for large crowds or just us, and the always meet rave reviews.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide