T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

don't know what unit he was taken in. wouldn't tell us. I saw the deer dressed and he was a big boy. we hunted in unit 67(think that was it, it was close to the border of Utah west of Grand Junction) and never saw any really big bodied mule deer there. same thing in new mexico I never saw any ancient bucks but they were around 250 lbs on the hoof max the ones we saw. Keep in mind these were mountain deer. I have heard on the eastern portion of the state they get bigger due to increased agriculture.

My deer last year would of been real close if not breaking 300 and my buddies deer did. 272 dressed. That's in south western CO ..in sept

I wouldn't say 400 is the norm but not out of the question. I now the ranch I hunt average 7.5 old buck is mid 300's by third season.

wanna sell a hunt?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Cartridge Combo for Elk? [Re: txtrophy85] #5690478 04/08/15 08:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
5 year waiting list.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cartridge Combo for Elk? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5690493 04/08/15 08:09 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
5 year waiting list.

what caliber of deer?

I have a itch for mule deer that only a forked back tine can scratch

Re: Cartridge Combo for Elk? [Re: txtrophy85] #5690538 04/08/15 08:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
5 year waiting list.

what caliber of deer?

I have a itch for mule deer that only a forked back tine can scratch

I've had a 230" walk 5 yards from(no tag that year). Biggest I saw last year was 180's, but also seen 190's typicals in the past.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Cartridge Combo for Elk? [Re: txtrophy85] #5690561 04/08/15 08:48 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Ouch, is there a good population of mule deer there on your place?

Re: Cartridge Combo for Elk? [Re: txtrophy85] #5690569 04/08/15 08:52 PM
W
Wildhorse Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Wildhorse
Either is fine but I'd take the 7mm as my primary.

I've used, and observed the use of, the 7mm to harvest elk between from 180 (on the mountain) out to 500 (wide open valley) yards. My preferred bullets are 160gr Nosler Partitions (similar to the A-frame), and 160gr Accubonds. I've been forced to use 150gr bullets of lighter construction back when ammo and reloading supplies were hard to find and was seriously unimpressed with their performance. The 160gr NP and Accubond have always worked very well.

I'd be confident in the 270 if I knew there was no chance I'd have to take a longer shoot, say past 400 yards. Believe me though, when you pull a bullet out of something hit at 400+ yards, you realize the drastic difference in rifle-bullet performance at point blank vs. extended range. From my experience on with elk, I want to bring the most rifle I think I can carry all day in the mountains (slogging through 14 inches of powdery snow) in a caliber I think most efficiently retains energy for reliable expansion and deep penetration at any range I might shot. My personal current threshold on elk is 500 yards, and to that range I think the 7mm holds the advantage over the .270.

If I had the money to build an ideal elk rifle I'd opt for a light weight, accurized, 338 RUM or 338 Edge, (maybe even something in the .375 category), with a brake so that I could deliver even more energy for expansion and penetration at those 400+ ranges, where even our standard magnum chamberings start near the edge of their terminal performance threshold on elk.

Right now though I'd strongly advise you take your 7mm as your primary and your .270 as your backup unless your 7mm is too heavy to carry in elk hunting conditions or has some sort of accuracy problem.

+1. Elk are the toughest non-carnivores in North America. They generally live in some nasty country. Putting them down as quickly as possible should be a priority. An elk hunt is a pretty big deal for most folks. Why one would not use the stoutest caliber they can comfortably handle (within reasonable weight limitations) is beyond me. Bigger is better for elk. Use the best tool for the job you can.

That said, my favorites are .300 WM and .338 Win. Stout but not cannons. Weights in the 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 lb range and cannons don't mix too well for me.

both rifles are within a lb. of each other so its not a weight issue. I just feel bad, like I'm cheating on my wife or something, when I pick up a rifle other than the .270 when going after game that its capable of. Only reason I bought my .257 was I needed a all weather gun that was set up for a little longer distances than what is ideal for a rifle with a 22" barrel wearing a 3x9. and I'm glad I did that west texs desert is hard on a gun. I've owned the rifle for over 18 years and know it inside and out. my 7mm browning is nice but I rarely shoot it, it does not have the sentimental value to me the other rifle does. But, I'm a logical person and logic dictates that I should go with the more powerful caliber. This is a hike in trip so its gonna be a one gun/no back up affair.

Since you're a logic person I'd say compensate for as many known potential variables as possible and go with the 7mm.

I can't deny though the significant impact that non-logical variables like emotion and confidence have. If you don't feel emotionally settled with your rifle it could subconciously distract you from making the best shot possible. I know that's happened to me more than one time and its played a role in what calibers, firearms, bullets, accessories, etc., I will and won't buy or use to this day. When it comes down to making the shot, I do everything I can to eliminate as much doubt in my abilities and equipment as possible. So if I felt that a more powerful rifle was a technically better idea than my 7mm (like a 338) but I hadn't had time to work up a really good load, or confirm my ballistic calculations by shooting at longer ranges, or I hadn't gotten comfortable shooting it, then I would have doubt about those variables still in my mind distracting me from making the best shot. In that case I would still take the 7mm just because of how well I "grok" [know intimately as if its a part of you] my 7mm and I'd limit my shots and ranges to those where I know the 7mm will perform adequately, even if its less optimal than my ideal rifle. If you think you might have any issues with the 7mm like I've described, then the best personal choice for you might still be the 270 that you already "grok." You probably know its capabilities and your capabilities with it and can make a good choice on what shots to take. If you don't push it past its performance envelope the 270 can't be the wrong choice between the two if the 7mm would prove too many distractions.

Last edited by Wildhorse; 04/08/15 09:01 PM.
Re: Cartridge Combo for Elk? [Re: txtrophy85] #5690584 04/08/15 09:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

The above is my CO lease

My ranch it very hot and cold on mulies. But only family and friends

Re: Cartridge Combo for Elk? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5690587 04/08/15 09:03 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

The above is my CO lease

My ranch it very hot and cold on mulies. But only family and friends

on the Colorado lease its private land I assume? how big of a place is it?

Re: Cartridge Combo for Elk? [Re: txtrophy85] #5690603 04/08/15 09:11 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Re: Cartridge Combo for Elk? [Re: txtrophy85] #5690656 04/08/15 09:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
+1 Wildhorse.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide