Print Thread
Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap #5679692 04/01/15 05:44 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Do we really need to take away from what a deer or any other animal that grows a natural set of antlers, horns, ect? I never understood this. Are we really that worried about symetrical? If a friend ask what de he score I always just say the gross. If they ask about net I say I don't give a [censored] about taking away from the deers antlers. This always reminded me of the government taxing me for something. Does the deer need to be punished. Do they walk around in the woods and look at each others antlers and say to each other, Your antlers gross better than mine, but mine will net out better than yours. Big antlers in the wild can have a over welming effect on smaller antlered animals, and Im pretty sure theyre just looking at the hole picture. So whos big idea was it anyways and why are still net scoring animals?

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5679701 04/01/15 05:50 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Why are you worried about killing an animal so it will qualify for a "book"? I'm not. I kill the animal I like. I am not worrying about the score or what someone else thinks about it.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5679704 04/01/15 05:52 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I don't worry about whether or not my animals will make it into any books. I have always focused on taking game that I truly liked and/or were trophies in my eyes.

Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5679725 04/01/15 06:01 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
Im not worried about book, I just never understood the need to net score an animal.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: stxranchman] #5679726 04/01/15 06:01 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
FWIW, B&C does publish the gross and net scores in adjacent columns in their all-time records book. But only the net score counts for ranking purposes, something many of us think is unfair to the trophy, and thus to the hunter. Other scoring methods agree and skew more toward gross score.

Personally, I have 6 trophies in the all-time B&C book, and I'm quite proud of that. But I have an impressive mule deer and a whitetail (plus a few others) that I and others admire greatly that for one reason or another don't qualify because they don't meet the net minimum.

For B&C, symmetry carries great weight, thus the net score. That's not necessarily wrong, just different.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5679728 04/01/15 06:01 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
It took me a few post to realize that guys on here use gross score not a Boon and Crockett net score.
Guys at camp use B and C and it is what I have used most of the time.
It really don't matter to me as long as you are using the same method as the other guy when comparing deer.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5679785 04/01/15 06:43 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
I can honestly say that I don't know any body when asked hey what did he score, they yell out the net score. I am basing the gross measurement on the B C scoring system. I do know about the beams being shorter that the greatest spread deal. Minus that, even though I think that is dumb too. I don't know anybody that says ya he was a 150, when he grossed 160. They will say 160 every time. My main point is that, even in the books, though its not why I hunt, I've always wondered why symmetry is even part of the rule. The deer grew it, so why take it away? That's my point. A deers antler score is always a nice reference when comparing other deer. When I kill a buck its because I made a judgement on age, cull or trophy, and not hey that's a net 150. flag

Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5679856 04/01/15 07:29 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I think the net scoring for B & C is a bunch of bs

Not for humans to decided how to deduct scores on mother natures gifts. Gross scores so we have something to compare to another is fine with me.

If I like it, I kill it. The potential score has never affected my decision making process when pulling the trigger.

If it's mature and I like it: rifle

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5680058 04/01/15 09:54 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
I can honestly say that I don't know any body when asked hey what did he score, they yell out the net score. I am basing the gross measurement on the B C scoring system. I do know about the beams being shorter that the greatest spread deal. Minus that, even though I think that is dumb too. I don't know anybody that says ya he was a 150, when he grossed 160. They will say 160 every time. My main point is that, even in the books, though its not why I hunt, I've always wondered why symmetry is even part of the rule. The deer grew it, so why take it away? That's my point. A deers antler score is always a nice reference when comparing other deer. When I kill a buck its because I made a judgement on age, cull or trophy, and not hey that's a net 150. flag

Not to sure why your even worried about it but a buck that will net 160 typical is allot harder to find than a buck that nets 160 non-typical and far more impressive to me because I realize how much rarer they are.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5680236 04/02/15 12:00 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Since I do the measuring and I do the scoring and definitely don't let another tape close to the rack, plus I usually add a 14-19 point differential, well, I don't care. juggle

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5680294 04/02/15 12:36 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
scratch Judging racks can be confussing. 36C 34B 32A 38D, & then ya got the DD's. Havent had that much hands on experiance, so i leave it up ta the experts flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5684753 04/05/15 03:23 AM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Why does there need to be any argument about Gross Score vs Net Score? Each tells you something about the rack...just like the number of points or spread.

Gross Score gives you an idea of the total amount of bone (the overall size) while net score conveys how symmetrical it is.... they are just two data points.

Also think about the number of points. How would you visualize a 170" 8 point versus a 170" 12 point?

If I tell you I killed a 10 point with a gross score of 168 and a net of 166 you'd probably envision a pretty clean and symmetrical 5x5.

If I told you I killed a 10 point with a gross score of 168 and a net of 138 you probably would not be too sure of what the rack looked like.

So I am interested in Gross & Net (as well as any other data like points or spread) because it helps me visualize the rack. I don't look at them as competing with each other...they are data.

As for the record books....B&C (they like net) has their way and SCI has their way (which is sort of like gross). I do not think either is better or worse.....they are different.

Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: stxranchman] #5684822 04/05/15 05:41 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Why are you worried about killing an animal so it will qualify for a "book"? I'm not. I kill the animal I like. I am not worrying about the score or what someone else thinks about it.

You know dang good and well you're going to throw a tape on one if for no other reason than to see how close your guess was. grin

Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: 1860.colt] #5684843 04/05/15 09:46 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: colt.45
scratch Judging racks can be confussing. 36C 34B 32A 38D, & then ya got the DD's. Havent had that much hands on experiance, so i leave it up ta the experts flag

I'm with you sir.

'Been hunting 43 years. Haven't scored a deer yet. There are certain men, especially in Safari Club International, that will go to great lengths, sometimes unethically, to get their animal in the book, to get some "grand slam" trinket awarded by their fellow wealthy (or faking it) good ol' boys.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: rifleman] #5684906 04/05/15 01:13 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

You know dang good and well you're going to throw a tape on one if for no other reason than to see how close your guess was. grin

yup up

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: jshouse] #5684926 04/05/15 01:38 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have no problem with gross and net scores - It provides several options: total bone grown with gross and then with net the standardized score bringing in the variables. I have seen plenty of trophies that did not book that are awesome. For me it is simply a scorecard when talking to other hunters about particular deer, looking at pictures, etc. to give me a feel for a certain set of horns and their size. No different than looking at a baseball or basketball score to see if it was a close game or a blow out.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5684942 04/05/15 01:57 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
I went to the TBGA in the mid 1990s for the first time with a buck that made the top 3 non typical in the region, but my buck was actually the fifth biggest because of gross. he netted better than two of them, so he made the top three. I always felt bad for the other two that actually were bigger. The biggest grossing non typical guy didn't even show up at all nor his deer. I always figured he was confused and a little pissed and said [censored] it. Ive been to a few more TBG awards, but don't care to go anymore. Its just not my thang. I have killed a buck every season that would make the cut except for one. I lost a buck that year. Hey I need to shoot better right. No its just a part of the deal. Its called hunting. I do still like to know what a buck gross scores, after all its whats on his head that Im interested in and not what I can take away. up

Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5685001 04/05/15 02:51 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: REALKILLER
I have killed a buck every season that would make the cut except for one.

make the cut for what? the book? we need some pics...

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Net score reminds me of some uncle sam bull crap [Re: REALKILLER] #5685077 04/05/15 03:45 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
R
The last time I checked the requirements for making the Texas Big Game Awards in the piney woods region it was 125 net for typicals and 140 net for non typicals. They may have raised the mark by now because of better deer management. Taking pictures would require quite a bit of space. I don't want to seem like a show off. haha.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide