Print Thread
New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner #5673481 03/28/15 03:50 PM
S
SkyPup Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
The LS-XR handheld thermal showed up at the house today after I had been jiving Jaimie at TNVC to ship it out to me 2nd Day Fed-X - thanks Jaimei! !

Having used a FLIR LS-64 since they first were released at the 2013 Shot Show two years ago, I was looking forward to the upgraded LS-XR debut at the 2015 Shot Show this year.

My LS-64 has seen lots of use (I don't leave home on a night hunt without it) over the past two years and is my favorite must have thermal accessory for both detection and identification purposes at night. It has hundreds if not thousands of hours of use on it and keeps on ticking, plus have not had to purchase a single battery to use with it yet!

My normal night hunting gear for use on my property that I am very familiar with consists of the FLIR LS-64 and/or FLIR M-24 helmet mounted and either the FLIR RS-64 ThermoScope or FLIR GS T-70 mil-spec thermal clip-on, all of these thermal instruments have the hardened TAU 2.7 microbolometer 17 micron core and are 640X512 pixel cores. I normally only add bringing my Night Vision gear when I am going onto some new property that I am not familiar with as it gives me much better situational awareness than any of my thermal gear can provide.

Externally, both the LS-64 and LS-XR are identical, their FOV through their 35mm germanium lenses is the same also. They both have a micro USB port for charging the internal lithium ion battery and this same USB port is also used for communication purposes to upgrade the Firmware/Software of the TAU core using FLIR's GUI software updater provided on their site.

Both of the LS series handheld scanners also have the 5mW 635-660nm red visible pointing laser too.

The older model LS-64 does not have analog video out capabilites through the mini-USB port, but can be customized using a handmade hot shoe to gain access to the video output signal. The new LS-XR has the analog video out signal available through the mini-USB port and comes with a mini-USB to RCA video cable to record direct to a remote DVR.

The older model LS-64 has 1X, 2X, and 4X step magnification views and a continuous zoom up and down from 1X to 8X.

The new LS-XR has 1X, 2X, 4X, and 8X step magnification views as well as the continious zoom feature. The new 8X mag view is particularly nice due to the improved higher resolution image viewer. There is improved image resolution at all magnifications with less pixelation of the microbolometer image due to the new imager, less pixelation at all magnifications than with my older LS-64 unit.

The InstaAlert feature has also been improved across the board as follows:

1. Reduce the sensitivity of I1 by 20-30%

2. Change I2 to the current I1

3. Change I3 to the current I2

4. Change I4 to the current I3

Basically, the I4 of the older LS-64 has been removed.

This allows for greater sensitivity in the InstaAlert modes with less washout of irrelevant reddness from other inanimate objects in the FOV. The muted down InstaAlert allows it use at lower selectable levels for varying environmental conditions, and the #4 setting now is primarily for when it is raining or foggy out.

I will get some video out of it this weekend and hopefully get some live hunt thermal images of hogs and coyotes if they show up and the weather is accommodating.

Anyone who gets a new LS-XR, be sure to register it for warranty purposes at:

www.flir.com/cs/warranty

I spend my money on dogs, hunting, racing, women, and whiskey - the rest I waste.
Re: New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner [Re: SkyPup] #5673483 03/28/15 03:51 PM
S
SkyPup Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Apparently, the software/firmware adjustments have decreased/changed the gamma correction specifically for the new high res display screen and adjusts the AGC automatic gain control for less ground and sky washout, basically it changes the gray scale levels by smoothing them out considerably. The increased resolution at the higher magnifications at longer ranges is noticeably improved.

Of course, those are just my initial impressions and it will take some hours of use under varying outdoor conditions to get a handle on how it performs overall.

That is why just looking at a photo or video of some thermal kit on the internet does not really tell you much of anything about the real life performance of the instrument, since with thermals the changes in atmospheric conditions is key to understanding it benefits/uses in the field for hunting detection/identification purposes.

There is so much more to rating the performance of a thermal instrument that seeing something about it on the internet....

I spend my money on dogs, hunting, racing, women, and whiskey - the rest I waste.
Re: New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner [Re: SkyPup] #5673486 03/28/15 03:51 PM
S
SkyPup Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
There is a very nice improvement for sure in the InstaAlert settings and much more manageable with the change in the gamma correction for the gray scale smoothness and the increased resolution quality at high magnifications, really outstanding!

I am working on a LS-XR video I took last night of six deer bedded down in the backyard sleeping. A large live oak limb snapped off and fell to the ground about 25 yards from me and startled them. Some of them got up to investigate and came over and were eating the moss and lichens off the fallen limb, so I thermal video recorded them with the LS-XR.

Video turned out very nice and you can see the high resolution clarity on the higher magnifications up to 8X (but difficult to hold the LS-XR still at that magnification), also the nice gray scale smoothness and the new InstaAlert settings.

The RS-64s Thermoscopes will look the same way as my video when the update is released for them in addition to some other new features for the RS series that folks will enjoy!

Here is the link to the improved upgraded FLIR LS-XR thermal hand scanner video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3W6Ck8xEMA&feature=youtu.be

Re: New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner [Re: SkyPup] #5673500 03/28/15 04:02 PM
S
SkyPup Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
BTW, for those not familiar with FLIR handheld scanners, the InstaAlert is the contrast adjustment on these instruments, it is a proprietary item only available on FLIRs.

Without it (InstaAlert), hand scanning large areas in dense woods and forests at night is a major pain in the you know what.

If you are scanning open wheat fields or soybean fields you do not really need it that much, but for any forested canopy or fields with thick brush/ground cover, it is a total brain saver!

Be sure to bring some aspirin/Advil after using a handscanner on an entire night out hunting when your instrument does NOT have InstaAlert!

Re: New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner [Re: SkyPup] #5675402 03/30/15 03:29 AM
S
SkyPup Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
First confirmed kill with the LS-XR tonight!

Did not know what the thermal heat signature was in the thick deep brush until I turned on InstaAlert and got an immediate RED HOT!

Then I put a hot one through the boar hogs ear!

Re: New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner [Re: SkyPup] #5676769 03/30/15 11:53 PM
S
SkyPup Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
And the FLIR pile just keeps on growing and growing! muyloco

Re: New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner [Re: SkyPup] #5677876 03/31/15 04:06 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
nice

Re: New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner [Re: SkyPup] #5683065 04/03/15 08:20 PM
S
SkyPup Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
For owners of the new FLIR LS-XR, there is now a new downloadable update to improve image quality/contrast significantly through different gamma correction settings in the high resolution video drivers for the display screen, as well as improved long range performance, and also improved and different InstaAlert settings.

It is here -> Scout II - LS - Ocean Scout Software Update:

http://www.flir.com/hunting-outdoor/display/?id=53129

Re: New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner [Re: SkyPup] #5684191 04/04/15 05:08 PM
S
SkyPup Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Was nice to be able to use the LS-XR InstaAlert to recover this black boar hog in the thick dense overgrown woods at 3AM....would not have been able to find him and recover him without it. Too bad it did not help with dragging this heavy dead beast out though...

Re: New FLIR Scout II LS-XR Hand Held Thermal Scanner [Re: SkyPup] #5684972 04/05/15 02:27 PM
S
SkyPup Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
In regards to the PMs about the update, the new update for the improved image resolution is hot linked at the bottom of these instructions:

First off, when you download the update, read the instruction files that come included in the download and follow those instructions.

First off you need a PC and a USB to USB Mini cable to hook up your LS-XR your charging cable works for this.

Leave the LS-XR OFF when plugging into computer.

Download the LS-XR USER GUI zip file and unzip and follow the instruction in the Word Document file. Install the LS-XR USER GUI onto your computer.

Also download the firmware update dfu. file and save it somewhere easy to get to.

The latest dfu. file contains the new update as well as all previous updates put out prior to now.

Run the User GUI with your LS-XR plugged ed in and turned off.

Once GUI is running, turn on your LS-XR and allow the USB drivers to install 100%, this may take several minutes and is extremely important, DO NOT proceed until the new USB drivers have been completely installed onto your computer to allow communication with your LS-XR.

After drivers are fully installed 3-4 minutes later, follow the instructions and install the new dfu. file using the GUI.

You can also change the automatic shutoff time.

It is simple.

http://www.flir.com/hunting-outdoor/display/?id=53129

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide