Print Thread
Handguns During Recreation #5651704 03/15/15 03:19 AM
J
Jake1798 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Can I legally pack a handgun in my backpack while out fishing or hiking? I've only purchased my fishing license for the time being (no hunting license) and I have only just completed my CHL course. I am just wondering if there is a law that prevents me from packing the handgun for non-hunting recreational use without a CHL.

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Jake1798] #5651872 03/15/15 12:43 PM
M
Mister Sir Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
NO. if it is federal property(corp of engineer lake etc)it is a felony. in car or house only most of the time, except on fed land, dont even take it to the lake.

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Jake1798] #5651888 03/15/15 01:10 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Corp lakes are the biggest grey area there is.

Around here I guess Lewisville, Grapevine and Ray ROberts are corp of eng lakes, but I still carry on all 3.

Oh well........

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Jake1798] #5654421 03/17/15 03:32 AM
S
Scary Poppins Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
castle law covers cars and boats same as if they are your home.

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Scary Poppins] #5654648 03/17/15 12:38 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Scary Poppins
castle law covers cars and boats same as if they are your home.

Incorrect

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: RedRanger] #5656235 03/18/15 01:04 PM
E
Elliot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Please expand. "Incorrect" doesn't help. This is from Texas Law Shield, so take it how you will.

"Turning to the subject of vehicles, Texas Penal Code §30.01 defines a vehicle “as any device, in, on, or by which any person or property is or may be propelled, moved, or drawn in the normal course of commerce or transportation.” This is a very broad definition and appears to include anything that carries people or property from one place to another, including cars, trucks, boats, airplanes, golf carts, etc. The important point to remember is that you or someone else must be occupying the vehicle to be given the presumption of reasonableness under Texas Penal Code §9.31 and §9.32."

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Jake1798] #5658209 03/19/15 01:06 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/canyon/faq.asp#1zero

Can I have a fire arm in the park?

A concealed handgun permit is NOT valid on Federal property, which includes all of Canyon Lake, the parks and the shoreline. It is illegal to posses a fire arm of any kind within any parks, trails, beaches, shoreline, etc... This includes BB Guns, Air Soft guns, Paint ball guns, dart guns, etc...

Any device, toy or weapon designed to shot, throw, fling or eject a projectile at anyone or anything is NOT allowed. These items are PROHIBITED. Those individuals which choose to bring in such items will be asked to remove the prohibited items from the facilities. If they do not comply, we will ask them to leave Federal Property and not return unless they leave the item(s) at home. You can be issued a fine for ANY item that is deemed under federal law as illegal or prohibited.

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: RedRanger] #5659792 03/20/15 12:15 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

A concealed handgun permit is NOT valid on Federal property, which includes all of Canyon Lake, the parks and the shoreline. It is illegal to posses a fire arm of any kind within any parks, trails, beaches, shoreline, etc... This includes BB Guns, Air Soft guns, Paint ball guns, dart guns, etc...

Any device, toy or weapon designed to shot, throw, fling or eject a projectile at anyone or anything is NOT allowed. These items are PROHIBITED. Those individuals which choose to bring in such items will be asked to remove the prohibited items from the facilities. If they do not comply, we will ask them to leave Federal Property and not return unless they leave the item(s) at home. You can be issued a fine for ANY item that is deemed under federal law as illegal or prohibited.

Read question 6.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/FAQ.pdf

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Superduty] #5659804 03/20/15 12:21 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted By: Superduty

Read question 6.

Now read question 22.

cheers

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Superduty] #5681596 04/02/15 09:10 PM
S
Scary Poppins Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S

Read question 6.

Now read question 22.

cheers

Does Castle law not trump that though like it does school parking lots or streets near schools?

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Scary Poppins] #5683482 04/04/15 01:12 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Scary Poppins

Read question 6.

Now read question 22.

cheers

Does Castle law not trump that though like it does school parking lots or streets near schools?

Federal law will always trump state law......

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: RedRanger] #5683975 04/04/15 02:07 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A

Some folks haven't figured that out yet. roflmao

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: RedRanger] #5700643 04/15/15 11:50 AM
B
bobsumner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

Meh... Doesn't work so well in the case of states legalizing marijuana. The biggest travesty in this nation is Wickard vs Fillburn.

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Mister Sir] #5726675 05/03/15 01:44 AM
B
bucksnbass357 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Mister Sir
NO. if it is federal property(corp of engineer lake etc)it is a felony. in car or house only most of the time, except on fed land, dont even take it to the lake.

I have asked a Texas Game Warden if my CHL was valid on a Corp Lake and he stated that yes it was.

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: bucksnbass357] #5726973 05/03/15 01:53 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: bucksnbass357
Originally Posted By: Mister Sir

I have asked a Texas Game Warden if my CHL was valid on a Corp Lake and he stated that yes it was.

He gave you incorrect information...

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: Jake1798] #5727773 05/04/15 02:29 AM
B
bucksnbass357 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Are you a LEO? A Fed? Work for the Cop of Engineers?

Interesting that you value your opinion more than a Texas Game Warden, who would be the authority that would be stopping someone on a Corp Lake, either for an infraction or a safety check on a boat.

Re: Handguns During Recreation [Re: bucksnbass357] #5728081 05/04/15 12:53 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: bucksnbass357
Are you a LEO? A Fed? Work for the Cop of Engineers?

Interesting that you value your opinion more than a Texas Game Warden, who would be the authority that would be stopping someone on a Corp Lake, either for an infraction or a safety check on a boat.

I also used to believe you could legally carry on Corp Lake.

I did my own research, I suggest you do your own, and maybe it may save you some money in court...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide