Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Hunt County bcat down #5679461 04/01/15 03:25 PM
fill Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Called this guy in from a tree line about 150 away. Drew him in with only a light lip squeak after spotting his eyes off in the distance. Like all cats Ive pursued, he was very cautious. It took about 25 mins to get him into shotgun range. And damn the mosquitos out here....I had to sit through about a dozen bites while trying to keep still.

I don't like to shoot center fire at night in my area 1 because of the noise and 2 because I enjoy the thrill of calling them into #4 buckshot range. Plus my red LED headlamp and quickly barreling down with my scatter gun just plain works for me.

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: fill] #5679482 04/01/15 03:37 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Good job. Looks like your system works for you!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: fill] #5679494 04/01/15 03:55 PM
J
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
cheers

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: fill] #5679503 04/01/15 04:00 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Got 'er done... up

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: fill] #5679771 04/01/15 06:34 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Awesome. I've one shot at cat and missed, so I hope another chance presents itself soon.

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: fill] #5679825 04/01/15 07:13 PM
D
Dogpaddlin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: fill

I don't like to shoot center fire at night in my area 1 because of the noise and 2 because I enjoy the thrill of calling them into #4 buckshot range. Plus my red LED headlamp and quickly barreling down with my scatter gun just plain works for me.

I am looking at getting into night hunting and could use some advice. Do you just leave your red light on while sitting and waiting?

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: Dogpaddlin] #5679954 04/01/15 08:42 PM
fill Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Pretty much. Although your light setup and the moons position kind of determines that. What are you using and what color is it? My kit and technique is in no way the end-all-be-all, but Ive done very well out West on my night hunts over the last few years. And so far it seems to be working for me here in TX too.

I use the red headlamp and spotlight kit from NightEyesLights.com, but rarely use the spotlight. What I do is keep my headlamp on full power and slowly scan a 180 degrees in front of me....towards the call. As long as the wind is not on your back, the moon is not lighting up your position, and you're not jerking your head around....you'll draw them out if they are interested. I used to turn my light off from time to time thinking that leaving it on would give away my position, but nowadays I leave it on the whole time on the stand. Don't worry it wont spook them, just don't shine it directly into their eyes while they are coming in. Try and keep the focus of the beam to the left or right, and make use of the light pattens halo. The one thing to remember is do not take the light off of them once you've spotted the eyes. As long as you've got some light on their tapetum lucidum (<--google it) they cant see you.

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: fill] #5680898 04/02/15 02:02 PM
D
Dogpaddlin Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Pretty much. Although your light setup and the moons position kind of determines that. What are you using and what color is it? My kit and technique is in no way the end-all-be-all, but Ive done very well out West on my night hunts over the last few years. And so far it seems to be working for me here in TX too.

I use the red headlamp and spotlight kit from NightEyesLights.com, but rarely use the spotlight. What I do is keep my headlamp on full power and slowly scan a 180 degrees in front of me....towards the call. As long as the wind is not on your back, the moon is not lighting up your position, and you're not jerking your head around....you'll draw them out if they are interested. I used to turn my light off from time to time thinking that leaving it on would give away my position, but nowadays I leave it on the whole time on the stand. Don't worry it wont spook them, just don't shine it directly into their eyes while they are coming in. Try and keep the focus of the beam to the left or right, and make use of the light pattens halo. The one thing to remember is do not take the light off of them once you've spotted the eyes. As long as you've got some light on their tapetum lucidum (<--google it) they cant see you.

Thanks for all the great info!

I currently have a handheld Streamlight spotlight w/ red and green lenses and headlamp w/ a red led from REI. I'm on a pretty tight budget but I have been thinking about picking up one of these for my rifle, I have the white light version already and it works pretty well: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/nebo-pro...ebo&Ntk=All

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: fill] #5681219 04/02/15 05:22 PM
92camarors Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
I love to predator hunt. I live in Hunt co as well. I don't have probs with the bobcats. Haven't even seen one in years. Coyotes on the other hand. I love killin them sobs. Where abouts in Hunt co are ya?

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: Dogpaddlin] #5682193 04/03/15 03:05 AM
fill Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Dogpaddlin

Thanks for all the great info!

I currently have a handheld Streamlight spotlight w/ red and green lenses and headlamp w/ a red led from REI. I'm on a pretty tight budget but I have been thinking about picking up one of these for my rifle, I have the white light version already and it works pretty well: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/nebo-pro...ebo&Ntk=All

I've been through alot of different light setups over the years, and this headlamp that I have now throws more usable light than anything I've ever used. And the good thing about headlamps are that you have both hands free. I couldn't imagine going back to waving a handheld around and then having to switch to a rifle mounted light to take the shot. In my experience things are just happening too fast for that. But in the end I always tell people to go with what works for them, because being confident and capable with your kit is what's going to make you successful.

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: 92camarors] #5682205 04/03/15 03:17 AM
fill Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: 92camarors
I love to predator hunt. I live in Hunt co as well. I don't have probs with the bobcats. Haven't even seen one in years. Coyotes on the other hand. I love killin them sobs. Where abouts in Hunt co are ya?

Cats are almost exclusively nocturnal creatures. And there are literally tons of them out this way. I might even argue that they are overpopulated they're probably more capable predators than coyotes too. Yotes get blamed for everyones missing pets, but you'd be surprised at all of the domestic and ag animals that bobcats prey on.

I'm in Caddo Mills. Let me know if you wanna go after them sometime.

Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: fill] #5683982 04/04/15 02:17 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Not sure about the nocturnal part. One year I went back and counted up how many Bobcats I called in the daytime verses how many at night. I was surprised that the numbers were equal. I actually saw one yesterday afternoon about 6pm.

This picture was from November and called 3 from 8am until 10 am but one was a little small so I passed on it.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Hunt County bcat down [Re: fill] #5684725 04/05/15 02:49 AM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Great job man. Great looking cats too

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide