Print Thread
Precision Rifle Hunters Class #5674862 03/29/15 09:49 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I had the joy of attending the Precision Rifle Hunters Class this weekend instructed by FiremanFG. I've shot guns and hunted all my life but, like most people, have never really had any real training or instruction. Most classes are either too far, too expensive, or a combination of both. So I was very excited at the possibility of learning without a ton of expense and travel. Needless to say, the class was worth every penny.

Couldn't have asked for a prettier day. Cool in the morning, warmer in the afternoon. Sunny and a light wind. Got started about 9am and we jumped into the fundamentals right away. This is the part where you listen, absorb, and write down all the important points. Ask questions when needed. Have him repeat things or use different examples. He'll work with you til you understand. This is not something you would get in most other classes. Think of it like private tutoring.

After the lesson, we setup equipment and checked out the targets. I had recently swapped scopes so we did a quick bore sight and shot a few at 100 to get zeroed. Then move on to 200 and 300yd targets right away. No time for 100yd shots!! Then comes the fun part. If you're like me, chances are you haven't shot much beyond 200-300yds because most gun ranges dont offer much further. You'll shoot 400, 500, 600, 700, and finally 800. All with Jason calling wind for you. Struggled a little bit at 700 and 800 with wind but eventually figured it out. Break for lunch.

After lunch, did some more shooting 500yds and beyond. By then the wind had calmed quite a bit and targets were a little easier. He'll work with you til you're routinely dialing elevation, holding windage, and seeing your hits. Then you'll get to try holding elevation & windage. My mount and scope ran out of elevation for 800yds for a .308 so it was a good real-life example of holding the remainder of elevation. All this was in the prone position. Then we moved over to shoot with different rests. First shoot in a crouched position off one knee like you're sitting in a truck bed. Then shoot in a knee position. Then move up to standing position. All shooting between 200-300yds. You'll shoot some dialed in, some holding over. You learn both ways. After that, we were done.

All in all, the class is top notch. Jason knows his stuff and is doing a service by teaching it. On top of that, Jason is a stand-up guy and you'll enjoy your day. A few things I would advise when you attend:

1) Familiarize yourself and bring a sandbag to stabilize your rifle. Jason has a couple available for you to use, but I struggled a bit at first because I wasn't used to a sandbag with my AR-10 stock. I really should have been more prepared. Your mileage my vary.

2) Consider MIL/MIL scope with FFP. It is stupid simple compared to SFP and MOA. You can hold elevation/windage or estimate range at any magnification. This is just my opinion, but I feel comfortable dialing my MIL/MIL scope now. My MOA/MOA scopes I feel like they will remain a set & forget, check zero once a year deal.

3) Bring a notepad for notes

4) Wear comfortable clothes. You'll be in the prone position alot.

Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: jeepercreeper] #5675004 03/29/15 11:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It was a pleasure having you out to the range!

I'm glad we accomplished your goals and thank you for the positive review!

-JG

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Precision Rifle Hunters Class [Re: jeepercreeper] #5675266 03/30/15 02:17 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Cool! I'd like to do this down the road when funding and time permits.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide