Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
More please................. #5674819 03/29/15 08:58 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Is it just me that gets irritated having to ask pricing, lodging, number of days on these guided hunts? I wish it was a "must" if the guides/outfitters are going to post a hunt on this section they MUST add all descriptors. I hate reading thread and there are PM me for this or that, or interested parties are having to pull teeth to get all the info.

Why the secrets and BS?

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5674873 03/29/15 10:01 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: 7mag
Is it just me that gets irritated having to ask pricing, lodging, number of days on these guided hunts? I wish it was a "must" if the guides/outfitters are going to post a hunt on this section they MUST add all descriptors. I hate reading thread and there are PM me for this or that, or interested parties are having to pull teeth to get all the info.

Why the secrets and BS?

I 2nd that the outfitters that are not doing this are missing out on business from busy customers that dont want to have to call 5 different guys looking for info.

Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5674876 03/29/15 10:05 PM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
bounce clap bounce

7mag..1 couldn,t be any better post than this on the forum.
I will say X100.
How about making it mandatory..???

Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5674879 03/29/15 10:07 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
C
X3!

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: More please................. [Re: CitySlickerHunter] #5674891 03/29/15 10:15 PM
Rockinmyshoe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Maybe a form with the most FAQ on it that must be completed before posting, that would clear the air on any"oh I forgot to mention that" the established ones on here could use it to their advantage because the ones that have these oh I forgot to mentions won't be on here due to the questions that have to be addressed before posting. cheers

Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5674897 03/29/15 10:18 PM
C
Capt.JVH Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
You would think this would also be a benefit to the outfitters. It would cut out a lot of tire kickers and save a lot of time for all parties involved.

Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5674932 03/29/15 10:46 PM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I can answer this from both sides. First , this is the worlds worst place to advertise if your sole income is hunting. The reason I say this if I post an add to sell a hunt for a buck. A person shows interest in this hunt, you can bet your azz that 10 other outfitters are going to pm the man with lower prices. I know this, because when I showed interest in one hunt I had 8 other people pm me about cheaper animals I could buy. Heck I felt bad for the guy who posted the hunt, 2 faced people are all over not only here. I think this is as chicken poop as you can get. I know lots of outfits that don't price for this reason, heck I don't blame them. I think if your interested, you should call and get to know an outfit before you go hunt with them anyway.

I post my prices most the time, reason is I don't care if people under bid me. Nearly all of you guys that have come hunt with me have told me of the same thing I have described above.

I will say this so many people complain about being taken by these shade tree outfitters, and I think a lot of it is your always wanting a lower price ( a deal ). Lower Price is not always such the great deal. So check into your next outfitter, there is a heck of a lot more that goes into a hunt than price.
My 2 cents !

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5675207 03/30/15 01:43 AM
D
Deer Hound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I sell some hunts every year to help offset feed cost. I don't post prices for a couple of reasons first off everyone situation is different and I don't want them to think that they can't afford to go I can make anything work if they really want to hunt. I also try to work with first time hunters who might not spend a advertised price but if it gets them hunting I will give them a one time great deal. The other reason is I want a chance to talk to you if I'm gonna spend 3-5 days with you I want to enjoy myself as we'll. I have a lot of hunter that go away with more then what they pay for. Never heard a complaint about it yet. I don't make a living selling hunts so I'm way more flexible in what I can do. Do I miss selling some hunt probably. But the other side if someone does not want to take 30 seconds to Pm me then it will just have to be I'm not walmart and I'm not going to price match. I sell experiences/hunts far as I know never had a miss understand so far. It's all about communication. Thanks Tom.

Re: More please................. [Re: Deer Hound] #5675236 03/30/15 02:04 AM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Deer Hound
I sell some hunts every year to help offset feed cost. I don't post prices for a couple of reasons first off everyone situation is different and I don't want them to think that they can't afford to go I can make anything work if they really want to hunt. I also try to work with first time hunters who might not spend a advertised price but if it gets them hunting I will give them a one time great deal. The other reason is I want a chance to talk to you if I'm gonna spend 3-5 days with you I want to enjoy myself as we'll. I have a lot of hunter that go away with more then what they pay for. Never heard a complaint about it yet. I don't make a living selling hunts so I'm way more flexible in what I can do. Do I miss selling some hunt probably. But the other side if someone does not want to take 30 seconds to Pm me then it will just have to be I'm not walmart and I'm not going to price match. I sell experiences/hunts far as I know never had a miss understand so far. It's all about communication. Thanks Tom.

So why not YOU take the 30 seconds to add the info? I know my budget and for the most part I have to look at "lower end hunts". I just can't afford the higher dollar hunts. If I know what you or any outfitter is offering and I have all the details it sure saves time for me and the outfitter. Another words I am not going to bother you with cheesey questions if you have already provided the details.

I'm not going to PM you if your offering a 8,000 dollar hunt. Then again I might PM you if your offering a 1,500 dollar hunt. I'm not trying to be a DB, it just annoys me having to ask a question, then someone else asks and so on. It can turn off some people pretty quick. BTW I have ran a few hunts on here in the past. I believe my posts had most if not all details. When people were interested it was more on what dates. Serves the same way if a hunter comes on here and says he has X amount to spend and is looking for an X hunt. The outfitter already knows if he can accommodate him and the price.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5675274 03/30/15 02:22 AM
D
Deer Hound Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Because I'm not going to lock myself in to sell every x size deer for x money I have let some big deer go for very reasonable money but I'm not gona do it on every one. Pm any one who has took the time to pm me and hunt and see if they went away happy. I didn't come here to argue I was just offering another point of view. Thanks to all who have and will hunt with me. Tom

Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5675430 03/30/15 03:50 AM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
No worries Tom, you don't have to explain yourself. Your program works good for you that is all that matters. Thanks for the thoughts.

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5675713 03/30/15 02:02 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
As a contractor, I think I understand the reasoning for not posting prices and details is that there is always more to it then just the number. What's included in that price other then just the animal. What the outfitter/guide provides and does for you. Too many people are just kicking the tires and not ready to actually go on the hunt, others are bottom dollar shopping and only care about how cheap they can get it. If you are not offering the cheapest hunt out there, but want to provide a total experience that will hopefully lead to a return client and referrals, then you need some sort of personal communication when selling the hunt. I know that I can go to some hundred acre HF property and kill an animal. Probably the same sized animal that I will pay more to go on a hunt for on a larger property with a guide who is driving a quality vehicle, using good optics and provides me with multiple animals to choose from. They will load take the time for good pictures, load the animal and do a nice job skinning it, then help with getting it loaded up for the drive home. If I stay the night, accommodations will be clean and enjoyable. There is just no way to get that across to those looking for a hunt if all you do is list the species and the price. I would rather spend a hour or two talking to a client who is serious about hiring me, then just putting out a price on what I can do and hoping that of all the calls I get, one might be serious.

Re: More please................. [Re: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.] #5677060 03/31/15 02:01 AM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.
I can answer this from both sides. First , this is the worlds worst place to advertise if your sole income is hunting. The reason I say this if I post an add to sell a hunt for a buck. A person shows interest in this hunt, you can bet your azz that 10 other outfitters are going to pm the man with lower prices. I know this, because when I showed interest in one hunt I had 8 other people pm me about cheaper animals I could buy. Heck I felt bad for the guy who posted the hunt, 2 faced people are all over not only here. I think this is as chicken poop as you can get. I know lots of outfits that don't price for this reason, heck I don't blame them. I think if your interested, you should call and get to know an outfit before you go hunt with them anyway.

I post my prices most the time, reason is I don't care if people under bid me. Nearly all of you guys that have come hunt with me have told me of the same thing I have described above.

I will say this so many people complain about being taken by these shade tree outfitters, and I think a lot of it is your always wanting a lower price ( a deal ). Lower Price is not always such the great deal. So check into your next outfitter, there is a heck of a lot more that goes into a hunt than price.
My 2 cents !

This is a pretty good explanation from the other perspective, I just like to see a base price for instance, there are just some prices im not going to pay. Ie: like the guys trying to sell fallow bucks for $4500, this automatically eliminates them regardless of what goes with that hunt because I know 5 other good outfitters many which I met on here that I can go shoot a big one for $2500. Now if hes somewhat close to that...say $3000-$3500 for a monster I would probably call to ask more questions.

Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5677170 03/31/15 02:54 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I for one have booked six hunts directly from people posting on this forum. I am not going to call or pm for a price. If you don't post at least a price, you have lost my business.

Last edited by Erny; 03/31/15 03:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
Re: More please................. [Re: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.] #5677684 03/31/15 02:06 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

My 2 cents !

Agree 100%.

I typically post an all inclusive price. It's not my goal to be the lowest price. I don't run many specials, unless it's animals I'm trying to get rid of.

What gets me is how many want to know what an "all inclusive" price is, when I'm already offering say a fallow at prices that we all know are low. I guess some outfitters hit folks with unexpected fees, but to me, all inclusive means everything but the guide tip (and that's only if I have to hire a guide).

I typically reserve "specials" for folks that have made the trip and either want an extra animal or we are having a tough time with their targeted animal.

Another thing that happens is I'll get a price wrong (incredibly low). Case in point is that 8 point I sold on here last year. A boardie locked it down with a deposit real quick, and he had several offers from others to buy it from him.

He's real happy that he was quick on the trigger, it won the TGR big 8 contest. And he got it because he didn't kick tires and slam doors.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5677863 03/31/15 03:54 PM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
As a relatively new hunter to Texas "to date I have booked 3 hunts". I can see both sides. I have to save sometimes for 2 years to get to go on a guided hunt, so when looking a hunts with no details I will not call because I don't like trying to get in touch with an outfitters for 2 days only to find out his hunt is way out of my reach. On the other side I don't want to waste my time and money, so if I see a hunt advertised my a reputable outfitter that is a Veteran Tracker for $2,000 versus one for $1,500 by a Green Horn I am more likely to book the first hunt. I have to travel some distance to hunt in Texas and want to have the best hunting experience I can afford. A good hunt is not just killing to me, it is making new friends, seeing lots of game, and looking forward to next year if the good Lord is willing, to come back for another hunt. So in short if someone takes a hunt because someone undercut the price by $500 they often get what they paid for. I would rather spend a little extra for a better experience.

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5677902 03/31/15 04:23 PM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
One more thought, and maybe to Deer Hounds point. I am thinking you have a price range in mind when you plan to harvest some animals, so when posting a hunt that is some what flexible you could specify the price range, as an example "Management Whitetail hunt $2,000 to $2,500, all inclusive, expect to kill a mature 8 point 125 inches to 130 inches" would get me to call for details better than just "call for details". As I said just my 2 cents.

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: More please................. [Re: 7mag] #5678956 04/01/15 03:48 AM
H
huntnguide83 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
A lot of really good views, and points already posted. I've been in the business a very long time. I've booked numerous hunts here on THF.....A lot of those hunters are now no longer just clients, but very good friends. Heck, I met my business partner on here that booked a hunt with me years ago. As an outfitter I try to offer the best pricing that I can so that everyone gets a fair shake. What a lot of hunters don't realize it the actual associated costs of raising these animals, and/or having to replace those animals to keep up with business demands. Then as others have already stated previously everyone's looking for the low ball offer. What some fail to realize is you get what you pay for. I for one have no problems with listing as much detail as I can on my ads. I know who's cheaper, but I know what I can provide my customers with in the end will last much longer than just the hunt duration.

Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide