Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5675849 03/30/15 03:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I would never impose my perspective or limitations on another.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: This is worrys me [Re: 603Country] #5675856 03/30/15 03:23 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: 603Country
Huntmaster, I would feel better if I didn't worry about how some people shoot. Since I was 10 or 12 I've hunted with family and friends on family land. We have good shots and we have bad shots. I really don't think that the bad shots consider themselves bad shots. Anyway, some decades ago I had gotten to my stand long before daylight. As usual, a distant cousin (one of the bad shots) showed up late and climbed up into a ladder stand that I could see. Some time later a big doe came out, and the cousin blasted away. Distance was about 200 yards. The deer humped up, spun around, and ran off. The cousin, who didn't know I was observing, walked down to where the deer had been standing, looked around a minute or so and then walked off and I could hear his truck leave. Looked to me that the deer had been gut shot. I walked to the spot, found fresh tracks and could see where the deer spun around. Not much blood, but a little. So I spent the next hour or so tracking the doe. Found her, took her home and skinned her.

So...I think I'm just bashing bad hunters that take shots that they shouldn't. And I guess I'm lumping those folks in with the ones that shoot at deer at very long ranges. It just seems that bad hunters don't know what they can't do, which will often make them long distance shooters. But we can't tell them they can't hunt, and I wouldn't do that even if I could. I just don't want to watch....

I have seen guys lose Deer they shot at 65 yards also...etc etc..

Its a simple process, don't outpunt your coverage..

Its been talked to death...if you dont have the equipment and skills don't do it..
if it's not Illegal, ill moral or unethical..
Don't worry about it...None of your Business's

Re: This is worrys me [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5675861 03/30/15 03:24 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Its the narrow minded Chest Thumping...

No good story starts with"Remember When"

Re: This is worrys me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5675874 03/30/15 03:33 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Huntmaster, I would feel better if I didn't worry about how some people shoot. Since I was 10 or 12 I've hunted with family and friends on family land. We have good shots and we have bad shots. I really don't think that the bad shots consider themselves bad shots. Anyway, some decades ago I had gotten to my stand long before daylight. As usual, a distant cousin (one of the bad shots) showed up late and climbed up into a ladder stand that I could see. Some time later a big doe came out, and the cousin blasted away. Distance was about 200 yards. The deer humped up, spun around, and ran off. The cousin, who didn't know I was observing, walked down to where the deer had been standing, looked around a minute or so and then walked off and I could hear his truck leave. Looked to me that the deer had been gut shot. I walked to the spot, found fresh tracks and could see where the deer spun around. Not much blood, but a little. So I spent the next hour or so tracking the doe. Found her, took her home and skinned her.

So...I think I'm just bashing bad hunters that take shots that they shouldn't. And I guess I'm lumping those folks in with the ones that shoot at deer at very long ranges. It just seems that bad hunters don't know what they can't do, which will often make them long distance shooters. But we can't tell them they can't hunt, and I wouldn't do that even if I could. I just don't want to watch....

The purpose of any discussion is for everyone involved to hopefully think and learn.

Long-range hunting is a hugely controversial topic in the hunting community right now, for two primary reasons:
1)Unnecessarily risky shots/incompetence often results in wounded animals; and The vast majority of wounded animals that die of sepsis are caused by hunters taking shots at less than 200 yards.
2)Taking shots at super-long ranges starts to look like something that is not hunting anymore, but target shooting with animals as the targets.

Of course it's a fair topic for discussion. Just about every hunting magazine and hunting forum is discussing it. Most discussions start out just like the OP. Folks are not liking what they see. And the BS they are hearing from those trying to make a buck off of the "long range" hunting craze. So there is pushback-and lots of it.

The "let everyone do what they want and shut up" mantra is stupid. Do we not teach new hunters everything from marksmanship, proper equipment, and hunting techniques? Of course we do. Why? To try and ensure clean kills and success. And, more importantly, to try to ensure a great hunting experience. Yes, but we don't tell them how far they can or can't shoot, whether or not they can hunt with primitive weapons, and we don't tell them what they have to like or not like.

We would never just give a new hunter a gun or a bow and say "Just do what you can and if you wound a bunch and lose them it's no problem." Or at least those that give a rat's a** about hunting wouldn't.

If wounded dying wasted animals is something that should be used as a "reason" to not do something, then video games should be the only hunting method used. All other forms of hunting result in wounded animals. Most of which are under 200 yards.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: This is worrys me [Re: SniperRAB] #5675889 03/30/15 03:38 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

I have seen guys lose Deer they shot at 65 yards also...etc etc..

Its a simple process, don't outpunt your coverage..

Its been talked to death...if you dont have the equipment and skills don't do it..
if it's not Illegal, ill moral or unethical..
Don't worry about it...None of your Business's

The nail has been hammered. up

My experience has been I've been around more guys over the years hunting that gut shot deer at 100 yards or less by far over the active shooters that had long distance rigs.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: This is worrys me [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5675907 03/30/15 03:44 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Most independent liberty loving folks wouldn't.

Also, it is not lost on me that we are defending a person who is vehemently opposed to high fences. True liberty is never cherry picked. You are either for liberty or against it.

I wonder if that fact is lost on him?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: This is worrys me [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5675911 03/30/15 03:47 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Bobo, that's why there are generals and privates.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: THEBBC] #5675913 03/30/15 03:49 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: THEBBC
Im always amazed at what people will say to hide the fact that they aren't good at something.
Usually it comes out in the form of bashing those who are able to do something well.

List of Bitching Topics:
1) Hunting inside a High fence
2) Hunting over bait
3) hunting with calibers too small
4) Hunting with calibers too large
5) Hunting with suppressors
6) Head shots with rifles
7) Head shots with bows
8) gut shooting hogs
9) hunting deer for horns
10) paying to shoot farm breed monster bucks

Is their anything you people won't bitch about?

I promise not to bitch when the dumb [censored] in the White House leaves office....

Re: This is worrys me [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5675960 03/30/15 04:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

That's a "nothing" response. Meaningless. Nobody is "imposing" anything on anyone. Words on the THF don't carry the force of law. Sheesh. Some just want to say that because I presume it's easier than actually discussing a topic. WHICH IS ALL THAT GOES ON HERE.

There are a lot of opinions posted on here every day I disagree with. My response is either to ignore them or discuss why I disagree. Using logic and facts and reasoning. I don't get pissed or butthurt about it. That doesn't move the ball on anything. It seems that there are some on here that can't stand to be disagreed with-so the response is just to lurk around and throw insults. (Not saying you are one.)

Amazes me the number of posts you will see on any given subject that amount to nothing more than the Jr. High equivalent of "You can't make me!" or "You stink!" It simply shows there is nothing they have to add-either because they have lost the argument or don't have the mental capacity to actually engage in an actual discussion on the subject. (Again, not saying that's you.)

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/30/15 04:16 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: therancher] #5675979 03/30/15 04:21 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: therancher

Also, it is not lost on me that we are defending a person who is vehemently opposed to high fences. True liberty is never cherry picked. You are either for liberty or against it.

LOL it is crazy to me how much you (and a couple others) have let a guy on an internet forum get under your skin. Quit giving me so much power over you-I do not want it. It's not good for your stress levels. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5675999 03/30/15 04:30 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

LOL it is crazy to me how much you (and a couple others) have let a guy on an internet forum get under your skin. Quit giving me so much power over you-I do not want it. It's not good for your stress levels. smile

Narcissist much??

You were not, I repeat not the subject of that post.

Unless of course you practice long range shooting and set up long range shooting rigs (which is plainly the individual preference BoBo and I were defending). And your board name is Fireman JG.

Calm down a little. It might have a positive effect on your comprehension.

Last edited by therancher; 03/30/15 04:33 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: This is worrys me [Re: therancher] #5676018 03/30/15 04:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Narcissist much??

Unless of course you practice long range shooting and set up long range shooting rigs (which is plainly the individual preference BoBo and I were defending). And your board name is Fireman JG.

Well, I am glad I am wrong then. up

I would simply amend and say not every thread is a HF thread then.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5676024 03/30/15 04:39 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

That's a "nothing" response. Meaningless. Nobody is "imposing" anything on anyone. Words on the THF don't carry the force of law. Sheesh. Some just want to say that because I presume it's easier than actually discussing a topic. WHICH IS ALL THAT GOES ON HERE.

There are a lot of opinions posted on here every day I disagree with. My response is either to ignore them or discuss why I disagree. Using logic and facts and reasoning. I don't get pissed or butthurt about it. That doesn't move the ball on anything. It seems that there are some on here that can't stand to be disagreed with-so the response is just to lurk around and throw insults. (Not saying you are one.)

Amazes me the number of posts you will see on any given subject that amount to nothing more than the Jr. High equivalent of "You can't make me!" or "You stink!" It simply shows there is nothing they have to add-either because they have lost the argument or don't have the mental capacity to actually engage in an actual discussion on the subject. (Again, not saying that's you.)

"It seems that there are some on here that can't stand to be disagreed with-so the response is just to lurk around and throw insults."

"It simply shows there is nothing they have to add-either because they have lost the argument or don't have the mental capacity to actually engage in an actual discussion on the subject."

That was so easy I almost feel bad.

Last edited by therancher; 03/30/15 04:39 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: This is worrys me [Re: therancher] #5676065 03/30/15 04:58 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Narcissist much??

What do I have to do with that post?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5676078 03/30/15 05:03 PM
N
NewJeep Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
What does everyone consider long range? 100-200-300-400-500-600-700-800-900-1000?
What I consider long range might not be what you consider long range.
To me 500 yards is the mark for long range. I have shot past that on a pretty regular basis.

Live to hunt, forced to work!
Re: This is worrys me [Re: NewJeep] #5676139 03/30/15 05:32 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: NewJeep
What does everyone consider long range? 100-200-300-400-500-600-700-800-900-1000?
To me 500 yards is the mark for long range. I have shot past that on a pretty regular basis.

That's because your capable and some are not roflmao

So you mean your open minded up

Re: This is worrys me [Re: therancher] #5676145 03/30/15 05:35 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

FJG, unless someone else posts under your name, this applies to you: "vehemently opposed to high fences"

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: This is worrys me [Re: SniperRAB] #5676167 03/30/15 05:44 PM
N
NewJeep Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: NewJeep

That's because your capable and some are not roflmao

So you mean your open minded up

Very open minded. Oh I suck at shooting. That's why I practice so freaking much.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: therancher] #5676185 03/30/15 05:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ah well, you're entitled to your opinion.

Fact is, what I do is the exact opposite of what you do. I maintain my shooting ability close range to long range, without the benefit of the perfect rest because what I hunt is not contained inside a fence. They are free on the earth so there is no chance of driving it to the fence to be able to harvest it.

And like NewJeep "long range" doesn't start until 600 yards for me. Several days a week I make a cold bore shot 600 yards or farther to hone my wind reading ability. Because once everything that entails shooting precise and shooting far is learned; rifle, optic, and ammo are no longer a factor, then the only factor that has to be "dealt with" is the wind. And the only reason to do that for hunting purposes is just in case I need to some day.

I came into this via predator hunting, and in my opinion the coyote is the smartest animal on four legs in Texas. If he sees a hunter he is going to leave, a whitetail may stare and not move. This exact scenario has played out several times in the last three months on the wheat fields I hunt adjacent to my land. And in that time hogs have been shot and killed 100-300 yards, a coyote a 343 yards, and another coyote at 540 yards. I'm pretty sneaky but even I know I can't sneak up on a coyote across 2" tall green wheat field.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5676218 03/30/15 06:02 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Somebody get BMD some hooked on phonics

Re: This is worrys me [Re: J.G.] #5676234 03/30/15 06:08 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Fact is, what I do is the exact opposite of what you do. I maintain my shooting ability close range to long range, without the benefit of the perfect rest because what I hunt is not contained inside a fence. They are free on the earth so there is no chance of driving it to the fence to be able to harvest it.

And like NewJeep "long range" doesn't start until 600 yards for me. Several days a week I make a cold bore shot 600 yards or farther to hone my wind reading ability. Because once everything that entails shooting precise and shooting far is learned; rifle, optic, and ammo are no longer a factor, then the only factor that has to be "dealt with" is the wind. And the only reason to do that for hunting purposes is just in case I need to some day.

I came into this via predator hunting, and in my opinion the coyote is the smartest animal on four legs in Texas. If he sees a hunter he is going to leave, a whitetail may stare and not move. This exact scenario has played out several times in the last three months on the wheat fields I hunt adjacent to my land. And in that time hogs have been shot and killed 100-300 yards, a coyote a 343 yards, and another coyote at 540 yards. I'm pretty sneaky but even I know I can't sneak up on a coyote across 2" tall green wheat field.

What I do? You have no clue what I do.

And not even a "thank you" for defending your chosen method of hunting from those who would limit your options given the chance. That says a ton.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: This is worrys me [Re: therancher] #5676248 03/30/15 06:15 PM
N
NewJeep Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N

And not even a "thank you" for defending your chosen method of hunting from those who would limit your options given the chance. That says a ton.

Therancher has one of the best operations in my opinion. I have been hunting with him and even though it is high fenced his animals are really tough to hunt. I still haven't got my sika. Only seen one while I was hunting his place (failed stalk on my part) He has aoudad, eland and buffalo on his place and I have never seen them. The animals on his place are just as wild and smart as a low fence place.
They didn't get smart and wild due to over pressure either.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5676256 03/30/15 06:20 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I guess one of my concerns it what happens after the shot(s). If you don't just drop the animal and it runs off how do you pick up the blood trail. Shoot a deer at a hundred yards in the woods and it can be difficult to walk through the trees and find the exact spot he/she was standing when you shot. Do it in open terrain where there isn't a tree or bush and it gets more difficult. I've shot a deer or two that at the shot didn't really react like they were hit although it was a good chest shot. The only indicator I had was I knew where the crosshairs were when the gun went off. One of these deer was in a CRP field in Missouri. I never did pick up the blood trail and he only went about 100 yards past me but over the crest of the slope and down into the draw. I found him by doing a grid search in the draw dead by a huge oak tree. What happens when you stretch that out to 750 yards across a draw? Kinda hard to find that spot to start to trail isn't it?

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: This is worrys me [Re: passthru] #5676303 03/30/15 06:38 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: passthru
I guess one of my concerns it what happens after the shot(s). If you don't just drop the animal and it runs off how do you pick up the blood trail. Shoot a deer at a hundred yards in the woods and it can be difficult to walk through the trees and find the exact spot he/she was standing when you shot. Do it in open terrain where there isn't a tree or bush and it gets more difficult. I've shot a deer or two that at the shot didn't really react like they were hit although it was a good chest shot. The only indicator I had was I knew where the crosshairs were when the gun went off. One of these deer was in a CRP field in Missouri. I never did pick up the blood trail and he only went about 100 yards past me but over the crest of the slope and down into the draw. I found him by doing a grid search in the draw dead by a huge oak tree. What happens when you stretch that out to 750 yards across a draw? Kinda hard to find that spot to start to trail isn't it?

I have one feed pen at 217 and one around 209...Most of my Whitetails are taken around that Range..Axis, trash...365 and out if the shot presents it's self...

The 4-6 times we have brought in a Tracking Dog...it was Elmers shooting 75-100 yards with inadequate equipment that they never checked the scopes..

Animals dont lay down and expire sometimes...It happens

Re: This is worrys me [Re: therancher] #5676318 03/30/15 06:42 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I never picked up anything that says you were defending my method. If you were, then thank you.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide