Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5674893 03/29/15 10:17 PM
K
kyle1974 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
I had a buck duck an arrow at 21 yards... I still hit him, but about 8 inches higher than where I was aiming.

people can "what if" a situation to death....

when does deer season start?

Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5674894 03/29/15 10:17 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I am curious how jg came up with the number of 40 out of 55000+ I am pretty sure he doesn't know 500 personally out of the 55k+

Corrected left few word out smile

Re: This is worrys me [Re: BOONER] #5674899 03/29/15 10:19 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
They put their head down and eat though. Which means they slow way down. I like killing hogs and coyotes at long range. Never have I attempted a shot on a deer outside 300 yards The opportunity hasn't happened, and that is ok with me, I don't wish for it to happen. I couldn't care less how far away a hog or coyote is, if the shot is safe I'm sending lead.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: This is worrys me [Re: BMD] #5674902 03/29/15 10:21 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BMD
I am curious how jg came up with the number of 55000+ I am pretty sure he doesn't know 500 personally out of the 55k+

Look on the left side of your screen. It shows the number of registered users of this forum.

I never said anything about knowing 500. I said......40........So I don't know where you came up with what you wrote.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5674928 03/29/15 10:43 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Distance is not Irrelevant, but it is relative. When I was 12 or so, and using a 410 single shot and slugs, 50 yards was a long shot. Then, with the 35 lever gun, 150 yards was a long shot, but considered makeable. Then on to the 270 and a long shot was 350ish. Now, I suppose that I'd consider 400 yards a long shot at something that moves, and that's further than I'm going to shoot a deer these days. For the long range guys, 400 yards isn't much, but they won't impress me at all by shooting a deer at a longer distance. Plainly put, I am impressed by someone that CAN shoot a deer at 600 yards or more, but I am definitely not impressed by someone who WILL shoot a deer at that range. To me, that's target shooting and isn't hunting.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5674931 03/29/15 10:44 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I said you don't know 500 so how can you make the judgement only 40 can. I have no idea how many can or can't but certainly wouldn't perceive because you know 40 that their might be 100 or might be 5000 but shooting at game animal where the margin of error is so little is not the most ethical of choices and I don't give a darn how good you think you can shoot. Then bench is the bench and good for all that like to shoot 1k yards. I shoot decent but would I rather have a 100 yard shot over a 300yd I can make both but if I am hunting I will take the 100 every time. Long range shooting is impressive on a bench my opinion it is not so impressive in the field.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: 603Country] #5674944 03/29/15 10:52 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: 603Country
Distance is not Irrelevant, but it is relative. When I was 12 or so, and using a 410 single shot and slugs, 50 yards was a long shot. Then, with the 35 lever gun, 150 yards was a long shot, but considered makeable. Then on to the 270 and a long shot was 350ish. Now, I suppose that I'd consider 400 yards a long shot at something that moves, and that's further than I'm going to shoot a deer these days. For the long range guys, 400 yards isn't much, but they won't impress me at all by shooting a deer at a longer distance. Plainly put, I am impressed by someone that CAN shoot a deer at 600 yards or more, but I am definitely not impressed by someone who WILL shoot a deer at that range. To me, that's target shooting and isn't hunting.

That's pretty much how I feel.

I've been youtubing sheep hunting videos for the past week or so. I am both shocked and appalled at the number of videos of guys taking 600+ yard pokes at sheep. Most of them are only moderately competent to obviously incompetent. Lots of misses. Lots of broken legs. All of those hit have been recovered, but that's what you expect-otherwise the video wouldn't be posted. I have no idea how many get away. It is apparent many guys are gonna be slinging lead if there is a ram within 1000 yards of them. No matter what. It is very hard to watch.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/29/15 10:53 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: BMD] #5674995 03/29/15 11:31 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I said you don't know 500 so how can you make the judgement only 40 can. I have no idea how many can or can't but certainly wouldn't perceive because you know 40 that their might be 100 or might be 5000 but shooting at game animal where the margin of error is so little is not the most ethical of choices and I don't give a darn how good you think you can shoot. Then bench is the bench and good for all that like to shoot 1k yards. I shoot decent but would I rather have a 100 yard shot over a 300yd I can make both but if I am hunting I will take the 100 every time. Long range shooting is impressive on a bench my opinion it is not so impressive in the field.

Go back and re-read. I said I know of 40 that have proven they are competent outside 500 yards. No where does that imply that is all there is.

I don't shoot from a bench. How many times do I have to state that before it quits getting brought up? I shoot prone, seated, kneeling, standing, off a fence post, a tree limb, ect. And I can assure you if I say I can make a shot, I can. Nowhere here have I advocated shooting deer, elk, ect at long range. So I don't undetstand why you feel the need (again) to call me out. Its been a few months so I guess you felt the need.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: This is worrys me [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5675033 03/29/15 11:54 PM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
aim

I have been hunting for over 50 years and hunted in most of the continents.
I have used most calibers from .22Rf to.500 express.Have participated in ISU
style competitions..and have won many tournaments.But my longest shot on the
wild animals has been under 300yds. Never have the courage to wound an animal.
May be called Ethic or Phobia..In my humble opinion if you are hunting reaching
closer to animal is the name of the game.Well,if you want to propagate your Marksmanship
Bench rest Shooting is better plateform...! soap

Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5675049 03/30/15 12:05 AM
B
bobsumner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Lot of haters on this thread.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5675144 03/30/15 01:05 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I guess all you doubters need to go to a prairie dog shoot.

It's all about the equipment and skills using it. There are plenty of experienced snipers that would tell those of you with very little experience or none at all that all your opinions and assumptions are incorrect.

Are there people who try this method of hunting that aren't proprerly prepared or take shots that are unethical? Of course there are, but that happens every year with thousands of hunters shooting 100 yards. Taking unethical shots because they haven't even gone to the range to make sure their gun is still holding zero. Never spending any time at the range to have competent shooting skills.

I do agree that there are long range opportunities that are taken on animals by competent shooters that are still taking unethical shots because of weather conditions and animals that move frequently that present high risk points of impact. These hunting shows are some of the worst offenders because all they care about is getting a killed animal on film. Shame on them.

But you are wrong to throw all long rang shooter/hunters into this group. I believe the guys that want to do this grouping and negative comments are just jealous they don't have the same shooting skills.

You will never take the Elmers out of the Fudds... rofl

Well said Pitchfork

Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5675172 03/30/15 01:17 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
I have target shot at 500 yards and believe it to be range for some folks. My target distance is 75 yards or less w thermal, ,100 with bolt action. And have three witnesses to verify that I am deadly at 9 yards with a bow in my hand. LOL.

Big Beckett!!
Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5675229 03/30/15 01:58 AM
T
THEBBC Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Im always amazed at what people will say to hide the fact that they aren't good at something.
Usually it comes out in the form of bashing those who are able to do something well.

List of Bitching Topics:
1) Hunting inside a High fence
2) Hunting over bait
3) hunting with calibers too small
4) Hunting with calibers too large
5) Hunting with suppressors
6) Head shots with rifles
7) Head shots with bows
8) gut shooting hogs
9) hunting deer for horns
10) paying to shoot farm breed monster bucks

Is their anything you people won't bitch about?

Type 7 Manufacturer/FFL
Custom Builds/Gunsmith/Custom Ammo/Transfers
www.titanweapons.com
Check out Titan Weapons for your next gun build. We offer small gun services to complete turn-key long range builds.
Re: This is worrys me [Re: THEBBC] #5675350 03/30/15 02:55 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: THEBBC
Im always amazed at what people will say to hide the fact that they aren't good at something.
Usually it comes out in the form of bashing those who are able to do something well.

List of Bitching Topics:
2) Hunting over bait
7) Head shots with bows
8) gut shooting hogs

I won't bitch if there are not people out there doing things they are not capable of and the results are they wound an animal needlessly

You can't fix stupid
Re: This is worrys me [Re: THEBBC] #5675352 03/30/15 02:56 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

List of Bitching Topics:
2) Hunting over bait
7) Head shots with bows
8) gut shooting hogs

Have to ask the resident narrow minded Bitcher, The smartest man in the room..

Re: This is worrys me [Re: Matpk] #5675429 03/30/15 03:48 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: matpk
aim

closer to animal is the name of the game.Well,if you want to propagate your Marksmanship

Agreed

Last edited by BMD; 03/30/15 03:49 AM.
Re: This is worrys me [Re: BMD] #5675514 03/30/15 11:15 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: matpk
aim

Agreed

Correct - takes much more skill to get within 100 yards of a whitetail than killing it at 500 yards

You can't fix stupid
Re: This is worrys me [Re: SniperRAB] #5675560 03/30/15 12:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

List of Bitching Topics:
2) Hunting over bait
7) Head shots with bows
8) gut shooting hogs

Have to ask the resident narrow minded Bitcher, The smartest man in the room..

It's a discussion forum. Folks disagree sometimes.

Do y'all have something to actually add to the discussion?

Or do you just want to bitch?

smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5675569 03/30/15 12:35 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I saw the buck I was hunting 2 years ago at 400 yards and just laughed and thought, "well played, wise buck. well played."

I'm just not going to take shots longer than 250-300.

Unless it's a pig. Then I'll fling lead and at least scare the pants off of them.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5675712 03/30/15 02:02 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
"Worrys" you? Why?

Why does what someone else legally enjoys worry you?

It cannot possibly be that animals are wounded and die slow deaths as a result. Because bow hunters AND gunners within 200 yards wound tens of thousands more deer and big/small game each year than long range gunners do. Unless of course you are on a campaign to stop all hunting.

I submit that what others do legally is none of your or my business.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: This is worrys me [Re: THEBBC] #5675728 03/30/15 02:09 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

List of Bitching Topics:
2) Hunting over bait
7) Head shots with bows
8) gut shooting hogs

It's not the bitching that "worries" me as much as it is the insatiable need of many folks to control what others do. IMO it's an illness.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5675742 03/30/15 02:18 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
A society without some rules is a bunch of idiots. This do as you please, and each person needs to express themselves is a load of crap. Sorry, got off track. I wouldn't " worry" too much on how someone shoots. Worry about something more important-like cancer.

Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5675797 03/30/15 02:48 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Huntmaster, I would feel better if I didn't worry about how some people shoot. Since I was 10 or 12 I've hunted with family and friends on family land. We have good shots and we have bad shots. I really don't think that the bad shots consider themselves bad shots. Anyway, some decades ago I had gotten to my stand long before daylight. As usual, a distant cousin (one of the bad shots) showed up late and climbed up into a ladder stand that I could see. Some time later a big doe came out, and the cousin blasted away. Distance was about 200 yards. The deer humped up, spun around, and ran off. The cousin, who didn't know I was observing, walked down to where the deer had been standing, looked around a minute or so and then walked off and I could hear his truck leave. Looked to me that the deer had been gut shot. I walked to the spot, found fresh tracks and could see where the deer spun around. Not much blood, but a little. So I spent the next hour or so tracking the doe. Found her, took her home and skinned her.

So...I think I'm just bashing bad hunters that take shots that they shouldn't. And I guess I'm lumping those folks in with the ones that shoot at deer at very long ranges. It just seems that bad hunters don't know what they can't do, which will often make them long distance shooters. But we can't tell them they can't hunt, and I wouldn't do that even if I could. I just don't want to watch....

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: This is worrys me [Re: tlk] #5675816 03/30/15 03:01 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: tlk
Just watched a hunting show called Long Rangers. The show is about the host taking a buddy antelope hunting and shooting the animal at long range. The guide/host walks through the whole process and talks about his buddy could not make the shot unless he was right beside him coaching him the whole way. The guide/host talks about how many variables there are and how easy it is to make a mistake. He states that doing long range shooting on the range is not that hard - He says in the field in a live situation it is totaly different and open to many variables and mistakes.

Makes me sick. I have hunted for 55 years and all over the world. To think people representing themselves as "hunters" are taking risk like this with animals is totally disrespectful to hunting and game animals in my opinion. Our sport and the game animals deserve better

about time I corrected the typo in the subject line- Re: This worries me

Sorry about that

You can't fix stupid
Re: This is worrys me [Re: 603Country] #5675833 03/30/15 03:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: 603Country
Huntmaster, I would feel better if I didn't worry about how some people shoot. Since I was 10 or 12 I've hunted with family and friends on family land. We have good shots and we have bad shots. I really don't think that the bad shots consider themselves bad shots. Anyway, some decades ago I had gotten to my stand long before daylight. As usual, a distant cousin (one of the bad shots) showed up late and climbed up into a ladder stand that I could see. Some time later a big doe came out, and the cousin blasted away. Distance was about 200 yards. The deer humped up, spun around, and ran off. The cousin, who didn't know I was observing, walked down to where the deer had been standing, looked around a minute or so and then walked off and I could hear his truck leave. Looked to me that the deer had been gut shot. I walked to the spot, found fresh tracks and could see where the deer spun around. Not much blood, but a little. So I spent the next hour or so tracking the doe. Found her, took her home and skinned her.

So...I think I'm just bashing bad hunters that take shots that they shouldn't. And I guess I'm lumping those folks in with the ones that shoot at deer at very long ranges. It just seems that bad hunters don't know what they can't do, which will often make them long distance shooters. But we can't tell them they can't hunt, and I wouldn't do that even if I could. I just don't want to watch....

The purpose of any discussion is for everyone involved to hopefully think and learn.

Long-range hunting is a hugely controversial topic in the hunting community right now, for two primary reasons:
1)Unnecessarily risky shots/incompetence often results in wounded animals; and
2)Taking shots at super-long ranges starts to look like something that is not hunting anymore, but target shooting with animals as the targets.

Of course it's a fair topic for discussion. Just about every hunting magazine and hunting forum is discussing it. Most discussions start out just like the OP. Folks are not liking what they see. And the BS they are hearing from those trying to make a buck off of the "long range" hunting craze. So there is pushback-and lots of it.

The "let everyone do what they want and shut up" mantra is stupid. Do we not teach new hunters everything from marksmanship, proper equipment, and hunting techniques? Of course we do. Why? To try and ensure clean kills and success. And, more importantly, to try to ensure a great hunting experience.

We would never just give a new hunter a gun or a bow and say "Just do what you can and if you wound a bunch and lose them it's no problem." Or at least those that give a rat's a** about hunting wouldn't.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide