#5670866 - 03/26/15 04:57 PM opinions on a quality hunting rifle
Bigfoot Offline
Tracker

Loc: Galveston Bay
I know this thread has been done to death I am sure but here we go again

I need a hunting rifle for deer pigs etc

.308 and under $750 and must be stainless and synthetic are my requirements

I am looking at the Savage weather warrior 116 and the Tikka T3 Lite stainless

They both look like great rifles. I have read the trigger is better on the Tikka so I am leaning that way.

Any opinions or other similar rifles I am missing in that price range I should consider

Thanks

#5670867 - 03/26/15 04:59 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
I think you already hit the nail on the head with the 2 options. See which you can find for cheaper and go for it.

#5670923 - 03/26/15 05:27 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Tff caribou]
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas.
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I think you already hit the nail on the head with the 2 options. See which you can find for cheaper and go for it.

Yup.

#5670947 - 03/26/15 05:39 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
BigPig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Somebody lied to you about a better trigger in the Tikka. The Savage is a great rifle, the Accustock on the Savage is far better then what comes on the Tikka. And something that is very much overlooked, but makes a huge difference in the shooter enjoying shooting a rifle, Savage has an awesome recoil pad.

I've shot older Savages in 308 that kicked like a steroided mule, and when I bought mine that was my first thought when I squeezed the trigger "oh boy here it comes" but I was wrong. Limbsaver and Pachmyer doesn't have anything on the Savage recoil pads.

Both will be good guns, but the Savage will be better

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#5670955 - 03/26/15 05:43 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
603Country Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
Personally, I'd go with the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless first, then the Ruger Hawkeye Stainless, then the Savage. I have the first two rifles and don't want the third. But...that's just me.

#5670965 - 03/26/15 05:47 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
I would go Tikka T3.

I'm sure the Savage is fine. I just can't bring myself to buy one. Kinda like I am about a Dodge pickup. smile

#5671029 - 03/26/15 06:20 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
Gone to Texas Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hurst
I personally like Savage but I have never fired a Tikka. I know a lot of people like Tikka on here so they can't be wrong. I went to Cabelas and picked one up, didn't thrill me to much. My brother just bought a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor with the Accustock for 800. Has a 24" fluted barrel, accutrigger breaks at 2 lbs, and the Accustock is much stiffer than other factory plastic stocks I have handled. We are doing load development this weekend, should be fun.

#5671068 - 03/26/15 06:52 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
JCB Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: M.I.A.
Tikka and don't think twice about it!

#5671103 - 03/26/15 07:12 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
Bigfoot Offline
Tracker

Loc: Galveston Bay
Tough decision thanks for the input guys. I am reading bad things about the recoil pad and stock on the the Tikka and how it is hard to load on top.

The Savage is made in the USA and I hear good things about the stock and butt pad.

Not sure how hard it is to load a savage by hand. Can anyone chime in?

#5671124 - 03/26/15 07:30 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
BigPig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
It's a center feed magazine, never had a problem loading from the top but I isually drop the magazine out to load anyways

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#5671134 - 03/26/15 07:36 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
wp75169 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wills Point
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Tough decision thanks for the input guys. I am reading bad things about the recoil pad and stock on the the Tikka and how it is hard to load on top.

The Savage is made in the USA and I hear good things about the stock and butt pad.

The people who are having a hard time loading the tikka by hand have other problems.

The Accustock is superior I'm sure. But the standard stock on my buddies new 116 is a horrible piece of crap. So be careful which you chose. The accutrigger is good if your used that style of trigger with the built in safety. The trigger on the tikka is excellent.

Side by side shooting they both shoot very well with the edge going to the tikka. Both are sub moa with hand loads. Just one more so than the other. Be very careful where you rest the fore end on the savage if you get the cheap stock.

The bolt throw alone makes all the difference for me. Easy to tell unloaded but far easier to tell when picking up a round out of the magazine. The tikka reigns supreme.

Edit: the butt pad on the tikka sucks. Bad. Mine get replaced with a limbsaver.

Edited by wp75169 (03/26/15 07:38 PM)

#5671212 - 03/26/15 08:24 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
bdotson Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bullard TX
Got a be different Remington 700 for me.

#5671255 - 03/26/15 08:48 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
Gone to Texas Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hurst

Tikka has a small cut out similar to the Savage Axis/Remington 770. They are hard to load from the top which is why they come with detachable magazines. If I were to buy a Tikka today I would get the detachable magazine model. Also, if you buy a Tikka you will want a different stock for it so that adds to the cost. With the Savage you can get the Accustock and be set. IMO a Savage with Accustock and Accutrigger is the best out of the box package on the market.

#5671272 - 03/26/15 08:57 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Gone to Texas]
wp75169 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wills Point
Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas

Tikka has a small cut out similar to the Savage Axis/Remington 770. They are hard to load from the top which is why they come with detachable magazines. If I were to buy a Tikka today I would get the detachable magazine model. Also, if you buy a Tikka you will want a different stock for it so that adds to the cost. With the Savage you can get the Accustock and be set. IMO a Savage with Accustock and Accutrigger is the best out of the box package on the market.

Does tikka make a model without a detachable mag?

#5671289 - 03/26/15 09:03 PM Re: opinions on a quality hunting rifle [Re: Bigfoot]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
Remington.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide