Page 1 of 2 1 2
Land owners #5669255 03/25/15 11:19 PM
C
coolie Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Those of you who go to your leases several times throughout the non hunting seasons, what do the land owners think about it? I know I wouldn't allow it, but that's me.

Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5669271 03/25/15 11:29 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
if its a year around lease, I would have that understanding in the beginning, that's why I pay for yr around..period

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5669273 03/25/15 11:30 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Speaking from my own experience... This is why we changed from leasing to guided hunts several years ago. Our place is a working ranch, and allowing open access to the property became to much of a headache. Gates left open, hunters showing up without calling ahead, high speed hog chases through freshly plowed fields were just some examples of issues we had. The LO lives on the property and all to often had to check on unknown vehicles and late night headlights. Now we know that any spotlight after dark that's not in our hand belongs to a poacher.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5669298 03/25/15 11:48 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
That is one of several reasons we gave up leasing out years ago.

Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5669313 03/25/15 11:59 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
I wouldn't be on a lease that wasn't year round. We go out at least once a month to check in on the place, and check out from reality. Check in on the property, the fences, the landowner's oil equipment, and let him know if anything's out of place. We also go every once in a while to check out the neighbor's property (that we don't lease) and let them know what's up, since they live out of town. Both landowners appreciate that there's someone keeping an eye on the place. The folks that own the neighboring land let us take the kids to fish on their tank to return the favor.

Some of the best times we've had out there were in April or September, sitting by the fire with a cold beverage after a long day planting plots or driving posts. For us, it's not always about the hunting.

Re: Land owners [Re: KG68] #5669350 03/26/15 12:29 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: KG68
That is one of several reasons we gave up leasing out years ago.

Same here, we got tired of the problems.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5669435 03/26/15 01:19 AM
H
Hook-Em Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
H
Year around leasing is a pain in the butt for us Ranchers trying to make a living off the land. Like said earlier, gates left open etc!

Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5669532 03/26/15 02:09 AM
Beaubien Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Mine is year round also. The landowner is a fine Christian man that welcomes me every time I go. I call him the week before I go to let him know I will be there as a courtesy.

Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5669656 03/26/15 03:15 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I go year round and always take the ranch manager for a round of golf then into eat at the steakhouse for a steak dinner peep

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Land owners [Re: stxranchman] #5669665 03/26/15 03:27 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I go year round and always take the ranch manager for a round of golf then into eat at the steakhouse for a steak dinner peep

Works like a charm banana

I can go anytime I want. But, you leave trash, leave gates open, or just don't be a good steward of the land in general and there isn't enough steak and golf in the world.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Land owners [Re: txshntr] #5669690 03/26/15 03:52 AM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Works like a charm banana

I can go anytime I want. But, you leave trash, leave gates open, or just don't be a good steward of the land in general and there isn't enough steak and golf in the world.

Good attitude towards owner and respects to the property are key elements for lessee's success.....!!
If not... boxing duel

Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5669727 03/26/15 05:18 AM
S
Shotgun Willie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Landowners, was the hassle that kept you out of leasing something that could be handled by a 15 year lease manager who personally vets any man, woman, or child that steps on the property? That has an established set of rules that, if not followed even once, get an invitation to leave without a refund?

What would it take for you to consider it again? I'm not offering me up (unless you're around Eastland/Stephens county) but I'm just curious what it would take to get you to open the gate.

I've been managing the fellers on our lease for 15 years now, and haven't once had him come to me with a problem. It just seems like y'all got the wrong types of people out there, not the wrong process.

Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5669731 03/26/15 05:58 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
I just really can not imagine my place being anything other than a year round experience for all my hunters and their families. There is never an off-season on my ranch. Deer, turkey, hogs, ducks, dove, squirrel...all the usual suspects but there is this thing called fun and that i s what I am selling. And yes, I've had gates left open. I've had to modify a few gates because some city folks just can't get the hang of wire gates. grin Shoot, I've left a few gates open/unlocked in my day. No harm done. I've had some guys that could tear up a crowbar but that comes with the game. When I open the gate to folks that have spent most of their adult life on a city lot, a few broken crowbars are to be expected. On the other hand, I include a couple of extra crowbars when I price my lease. grin

Spring break, I had several dads and their sons out. Weather was wet, cold and miserable, but the young kids and the old kids had a blast. What's a little mud when you are a teenager. Lord only knows how many miles those kids (young and old) put on their ATV's that week. I may have to do a bit of blading but the roads will soon heal....the memories will last forever. Don't get me wrong. My year round lease is definitely a business but when it is fun for my guys, it is fun for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by aeb; 03/26/15 01:57 PM.

Re: Land owners [Re: aeb] #5669830 03/26/15 12:03 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: aeb
I just really can not imagine my place being anything other than a year round experience for all my hunters and their families. There is never an off-season on my ranch. Deer, turkey, hogs, ducks, dove, squirrel...all the usual suspects but there is this thing called fun and that i s what I am selling. And yes, I've had gates left open. I've had to modify a few gates because some city folks just can't get the hang of wire gates. grin Shoot, I've left a few gates open/unlocked in my day. No harm done. I've had some guys that could tear up a crowbar but that comes with the game. When I open the gate to folks that have spent most of their adult life on a city lot, a few broken crowbars are to be expected. On the other hand, I include a couple of extra crowbars when I price my lease. grin

Spring break, I had several dads and their sons out. Weather was wet, cold and miserable, but the young kids and the old kids kids had a blast. What's a little mud when you are a teenager. Lord only knows how many miles those kids (young and old) put on their ATV's that week. I may have to do a bit of blading but the roads will soon heal....the memories will last forever. Don't get me wrong. My year round lease is definitely a business but when it is fun for my guys, it is fun for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

If (when?) I lose my lease, I would sure like to get on your place. Great attitude Sir. That said, my current LO has been great, and I have nothing but respect for him and his land.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Land owners [Re: aeb] #5669857 03/26/15 12:23 PM
T
therock Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T

Spring break, I had several dads and their sons out. Weather was wet, cold and miserable, but the young kids and the old kids kids had a blast. What's a little mud when you are a teenager. Lord only knows how many miles those kids (young and old) put on their ATV's that week. I may have to do a bit of blading but the roads will soon heal....the memories will last forever. Don't get me wrong. My year round lease is definitely a business but when it is fun for my guys, it is fun for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Super way to look at it and great attitude!!

Re: Land owners [Re: therock] #5669964 03/26/15 01:16 PM
L
landsurveyor Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: therock

Super way to look at it and great attitude!!
Indeed

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Land owners [Re: Shotgun Willie] #5669992 03/26/15 01:30 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
Landowners, was the hassle that kept you out of leasing something that could be handled by a 15 year lease manager who personally vets any man, woman, or child that steps on the property? That has an established set of rules that, if not followed even once, get an invitation to leave without a refund?

What would it take for you to consider it again? I'm not offering me up (unless you're around Eastland/Stephens county) but I'm just curious what it would take to get you to open the gate.

I've been managing the fellers on our lease for 15 years now, and haven't once had him come to me with a problem. It just seems like y'all got the wrong types of people out there, not the wrong process.

We had a great ramrod... but like anything in life the 80/20 rule seemed to apply. 80% of the hunters would follow the rules, and 20% couldn't give a flip. It's those 20% that are knuckle heads that made us change our process. Turns out we make better money doing guided hunts, and only have to deal with hunters in season. Was a win-win for us to get out of the leasing business.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5670003 03/26/15 01:36 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I go to mine when ever I want.... no calling the LOs either they know i come often to feed/hog hunt during the summer

Last edited by Navasot; 03/26/15 01:48 PM.
Re: Land owners [Re: dkershen] #5670089 03/26/15 02:33 PM
H
hornet527 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Speaking from my own experience... This is why we changed from leasing to guided hunts several years ago. Our place is a working ranch, and allowing open access to the property became to much of a headache. Gates left open, hunters showing up without calling ahead, high speed hog chases through freshly plowed fields were just some examples of issues we had. The LO lives on the property and all to often had to check on unknown vehicles and late night headlights. Now we know that any spotlight after dark that's not in our hand belongs to a poacher.

^^^This

Re: Land owners [Re: Navasot] #5670177 03/26/15 03:31 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I go to mine when ever I want.... no calling the LOs either they know i come often to feed/hog hunt during the summer

Not required but as a courtesy, my guys usually let me know when they are going to be out hog hunting. Living on the ranch and overlooking hog central, I sleep better when I know who the traffic is below my house.

Re: Land owners [Re: dkershen] #5670178 03/26/15 03:31 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie

We had a great ramrod... but like anything in life the 80/20 rule seemed to apply. 80% of the hunters would follow the rules, and 20% couldn't give a flip. It's those 20% that are knuckle heads that made us change our process. Turns out we make better money doing guided hunts, and only have to deal with hunters in season. Was a win-win for us to get out of the leasing business.

I cannot imagine leasing my place. The 20% make it impossible. Being a LO is tough. Granting unrestricted access for any purpose always leads to problems. Always. I have learned that the hard way.

I bought my place for me and my family. If I invited every friend/their kids out to deer hunt I would soon decimate my deer herd built up through many years of hard work and sacrifice. If you invite a few to hunt others get their feelings hurt. It's a no-win situation when it comes to deer hunting.

Hog and predator hunting in the off season? Sure. Get togethers? Sure.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Land owners [Re: aeb] #5670181 03/26/15 03:33 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Not required but as a courtesy, my guys usually let me know when they are going to be out hog hunting. Living on the ranch and overlooking hog central, I sleep better when I know who the traffic is below my house.

I can understand that. These are not but a few miles from my house and know the LO well enough.. on new places out of town id call either way until a routine was figured out

Re: Land owners [Re: Matpk] #5670202 03/26/15 03:47 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: matpk
Good attitude towards owner and respects to the property are key elements for lessee's success.....!!
If not... boxing duel

Ding Ding Ding!!! Winner winner chicken dinner.

Had a year round lease for over 20 years and never had so much as a hitch. This is the answer.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5670250 03/26/15 04:18 PM
N
NewJeep Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I have a place in Boerne I hunt. It is year around LO just ask I email her to let the family know what days I will be there. If I see trash I pick it up, if it is wet I stay on main roads, I try and use my sxs anytime so I am not driving a f350 thru pasture, I run pig traps year around, I keep a detailed log of animals taken, if I shoot a pig, axis or whitetail I offer the meat to landowner first if not then I take it. I always pay for the processing for them. I help clear cedars, fix fence and work cows.
What I get out of all of this is a place to hunt (free)
Its all about respecting the landowner and their property. This land has been in their family for 6-7 generations.

Just in last 2 months I have graded 75% of their roads, put down a lame cow and disposed of it, supplied LO with 3-4 pigs (processed)they distribute amongst family and friends. Fixed a few spots in the fence and picked up 2 miles of litter from people driving down the highway.

So landowners not all hunters will destroy your property or not take care of you.

I do all of the above even on the leases I pay for.

Live to hunt, forced to work!
Re: Land owners [Re: coolie] #5670267 03/26/15 04:26 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Year around lease that we pay for and year around lease that we use. We don't get in the way and we help out if there is anything to do. We lease 24 sections and most of the time we never even see the landowners. If we are out there, then maybe that is keeping someone off of there that is not supposed to be. Lots of work to maintaining a lease and we need to be out there to maintain the lease.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide