Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5670224 03/26/15 04:04 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
It's copywrited

Again, so what? It's America. It's their group. Their organization. Their magazine. Their right to express their opinions. Their members' right to join and support them.

So what's the problem?

If you don't agree with them, don't join. Don't read the magazine.

I will add the TTHA bills itself as "The Voice For Texas Hunting". smile

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/26/15 04:35 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: 1860.colt] #5670243 03/26/15 04:14 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: colt.45

scratch rofl call my magazine for my .223 fairchase i got cheap posts. flag

rofl

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5670403 03/26/15 05:24 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It's copywrited

Again, so what? It's America. It's their group. Their organization. Their magazine. Their right to express their opinions. Their members' right to join and support them.

So what's the problem?

scratch thought that was Keith Warren flag

i'm postaddic
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5670502 03/26/15 06:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
It's copywrited

So what's the problem?

You pass the point of opinion when you copy write, define, exclude, and motto fairchase. It's sad that they have lost their conservative ideology. Glad Safari Club has stepped up their game on actual conservation. But then again probably why Safari Club revenue and membership greatly exceeds B&C

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5670597 03/26/15 07:18 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
We have some pasture land being developed down the road from my house. This year we have had more rats around than normal. They run the lateral boards on the privacy fence and I like to sit outside in the evenings with my pellet rifle and pop them. Last night this huge brown rat finally made a mistake and stopped on the fence. It was in a lower light area and I hurried the shot as well. Apparently I hit it a little far back. I finally found it in some grass by the fence and tried to finish off with a good stomp but the wet ground was soft enough that I wasn't effective. It took off through the chain link and limped under they neighbors storage building. I'm fairly certain it will die but I know it will be a lingering death. Even though it's a rat I still feel a little bad for not making a better shot and a clean kill.

So if you want to talk about killing hogs I'm good with that. But intentionally wounding or brutalizing pigs just because they do what they do to survive in there natural course of life and trying to justify it because they are a non native animal only makes you pathetic. And the discussion about doing whatever is "legal" is never the end all be all of a discussion.

Just think about it. At one time in our great nation it was "legal" to rape, beat and murder a young black girl because she was "property". I can't even fathom having the lack of humanity to even begin to do that much less justify it.

Just because a pig isn't a "game animal" doesn't justify cruel and inhumane acts in our efforts to hunt and kill them.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5671060 03/26/15 11:46 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Hogs are living things and should be treated with the utmost respect. Now, the way to show respect is to not discriminate against piglets, shoats, grown, in utero, etc. Treat each one the same, make sure they die.

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5671069 03/26/15 11:52 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I try to kill my share. I strive to make clean kills on them. I try to clean and distribute as many of those as I can. Not saying I don't lose one now and then and that every one ends up in the cooler but I try.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5671249 03/27/15 01:45 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
I hunt deer over bait, for me personally my line is stopped short of using ozonics. The wind is a great equalizer when you bow hunt. Pigs I kill by any means necessary not harvest

Big Beckett!!
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5671283 03/27/15 02:01 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: IamMr2
In another thread, one of the denizens here mentioned swinging a small hog around by it's rear legs and bashing it's head on a solid object to kill it. I staunchly disagreed with his method and said so. Long story short, I'm not going to change his mind and he is not going to change mine. I brought up Fair Chase and another person chimed in re: guns, suppressors and night vision, baiting, etc... I do not currently use any of this except the guns. I have used suppressors and night vision before clearing hogs for a farmer but do not use them for sport.

But anyway, it was hijacking another thread so...

Boone & Crocketts hunter ethics are posted as:

1. Obey all applicable laws and regulations.

2. Respect the customs of the locale where the hunting occurs.

3. Exercise a personal code of behavior that reflects favorably on your abilities and sensibilities as a hunter.

4. Attain and maintain the skills necessary to make the kill as certain and quick as possible.

5. Behave in a way that will bring no dishonor to either the hunter, the hunted, or the environment.

6. Recognize that these tenets are intended to enhance the hunter's experience of the relationship between predator and prey, which is one of the most fundamental relationships of humans and their environment.

Other items considered may be:

•The hunter herded or spotted the animal from air and then quickly landed to pursue.
•It was herded or chased by a motorized vehicle.
•Electronic communication devices are being used.
•It is confined by artificial barriers or transplanted for commercial shooting.
•It is trapped or drugged.
•It's swimming, trapped in snow or helpless in any nature.

Currently I walk and stalk in the woods. No supps, daytime only, no baits, no calls, just hunting tracks, sights and sounds. I regard this as pretty fair.

What about the rest of you? What do you think of Fair Chase and how much, if any, of it do you apply to your hunting?

Techically B&C doesn't care about hogs because there is no formal season for them....in any state

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: passthru] #5671366 03/27/15 02:30 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: passthru
We have some pasture land being developed down the road from my house. This year we have had more rats around than normal. They run the lateral boards on the privacy fence and I like to sit outside in the evenings with my pellet rifle and pop them. Last night this huge brown rat finally made a mistake and stopped on the fence. It was in a lower light area and I hurried the shot as well. Apparently I hit it a little far back. I finally found it in some grass by the fence and tried to finish off with a good stomp but the wet ground was soft enough that I wasn't effective. It took off through the chain link and limped under they neighbors storage building. I'm fairly certain it will die but I know it will be a lingering death. Even though it's a rat I still feel a little bad for not making a better shot and a clean kill.

So if you want to talk about killing hogs I'm good with that. But intentionally wounding or brutalizing pigs just because they do what they do to survive in there natural course of life and trying to justify it because they are a non native animal only makes you pathetic. And the discussion about doing whatever is "legal" is never the end all be all of a discussion.

Just think about it. At one time in our great nation it was "legal" to rape, beat and murder a young black girl because she was "property". I can't even fathom having the lack of humanity to even begin to do that much less justify it.

Just because a pig isn't a "game animal" doesn't justify cruel and inhumane acts in our efforts to hunt and kill them.

Good post.

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5671392 03/27/15 02:37 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't advocate being cruel or inhumane, simply that notions of fair chase don't apply when I am eradicating them.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/27/15 12:00 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5671552 03/27/15 03:40 AM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Game or not, no animal should die slowly. As long as it is quick, I'm good with it.

With the concept of Fair Chase, there is hunting for sport and killing game animals to put food on the table. Killing does or cull bucks is not something I am worried about fair chase with. Chasing the elusive monster buck, that I've only glimpsed on the game camera, is another matter...

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5671590 03/27/15 04:06 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

New Boone & Crocket World Record ... Taken by Automobile . He lived on the same piece of property since 2009.

Last edited by SheepHunter; 03/27/15 04:31 AM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: passthru] #5671606 03/27/15 04:20 AM
I
IamMr2 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I
Originally Posted By: passthru

Well said.

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5671722 03/27/15 11:31 AM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
But is smacking a piglet on the head to kill it inhumane?

I really don't think so, if the hit is hard enough to quickly kill the piglet. Captive bolt guns are used in processing centers to kill animals, a ball peen hammer could do the same on a small piglet.

Is grabbing a piglet out of the water and smashing it's head against the side of a kayak inhumane?

I think that one is a "It depends" or "Probably Not". I'm not sure that I could sit in a kayak and swing a piglet with enough force to quickly kill it against the side of a plastic kayak. Again I think it would be funny to watch the video of someone trying. I used to play kayak water polo at a local pool. It seemed like I spent more time upside down than right side up. The weight transfer of trying to swing a piglet would most likely put the kayaker in the water before the pig hit the deck of the kayak.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: LuckyHunter] #5671835 03/27/15 12:47 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

New Boone & Crocket World Record ... Taken by Automobile . He lived on the same piece of property since 2009.

Except for when it played in the rd, which seemed to be its Achilles heel.

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: rifleman] #5672007 03/27/15 02:36 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: rifleman
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

Except for when it played in the rd, which seemed to be its Achilles heel.

Yes, this same thing happened to our family pet. Sad day.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5672183 03/27/15 04:15 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
It's copywrited

So what's the problem?

cheers on thread "Fair Chase" What say ye? lamMr2. NP makes a good point about B&C in this statement. Had never heard of TTHA. Noticed the Mods took away posts between NP & stxrancher on subject. confused2 noticed in that post. it stated the "Pay to Play" post gone missing rofl is that fair? i got cheep posts.. flag

i'm postaddic
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5673463 03/28/15 03:35 PM
I
IamMr2 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I
The reference to B&C is to show their take on Fair Chase. Who made them king? No one did. Like it or not, they are the recognized standard of grading by which many in the hunting community judge. I referred to them for their stated ethics of hunting, of which others have expanded. 'Nuff of that.

Now, it's a beautiful day today, so I'm going to pack up the truck and hit the woods. aim

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5673628 03/28/15 06:52 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
As long as the animal does not suffer and it's legal I'm good with it. I may not like to do that myself but to each his own.

I used to run a trap line and would dispatch the animals with a bat. It was much more effective and humane than shooting them.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5674010 03/29/15 01:55 AM
T
Trav1921 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
One day after being stopped for a spot check by a GW, I struck up a conversation and jokingly asked if you could use a grenade? With a straight face I was told if I had land owners permission and had all the proper licenses and permits to obtain and use such devices, it would be legal. He apparently didn't see that I was joking.

Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5674027 03/29/15 02:02 AM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Im a fair chase/free range hunter, that's the only way I will hunt. I wouldn't even waist my time touching the nasty little bastard. If it was in a reservoir it would of made some good turtle food. If you like your native species that roam here in Texas freely and are a natural thing, you cant be ethical when dealing with something that could take over and jeopardize our native animals. Hogs are an invasive species that cause millions of dollars of damage every year and could hurt the future of the native species that live here. Kill em all. I wouldn't bang their head against anything and I damn sure wouldn't do it on TV or in a magazine. It would be a waist of my time and others. No need to make my fellow hunters look like jack asses because of a foolish decision. I understand your opinions, I just don't like hogs. Ive been fighting them for 14 years. If you have seen as many as I have you might feel the same way too. 10s of thousands. Ive killed somewhere around ???? They're junk on four legs. up

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5674527 03/29/15 04:07 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Some of the posters do not understand the damage these pigs do to farms. Case in point 130 acre corn field 2015. Seed corn was planted on Wednesday by friday the entire field was dug up. Farmer replanted on saturday and had hunters out thete every night until the corn was too tall. Final tally over 40 hogs killed, farmer spent approximately 12,000 replanting. Averaged 29 bushells an acre. Pitiful usually it is over 100 per acre. Now what is fair chase to a varmit that destroys farms and a familys means to support themselves. If I can make a clean heafshot I.will. but injuring them while they are running I have no issue with.

Big Beckett!!
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5674531 03/29/15 04:07 PM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
Forrectipn that was 2014

Big Beckett!!
Re: "Fair Chase" What say ye? [Re: IamMr2] #5674538 03/29/15 04:15 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Fair chase is usually going to come down to one man's opinion. Baiting or no baiting..... use of dogs or no use of dogs.....hunting over foodplots vs stalking your game on foot.....it goes on and on.

If you have a way that you like to hunt that is legal and you are comfortable with it....fine...just don't try and make "your way" the standard by which others should be judged. Because that is what the anti-hunting crowd wants....divide us and pick off legal hunting piece by piece.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide