6248296 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5669255 - 03/25/15 06:19 PM Land owners
coolie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Ennis, TX
Those of you who go to your leases several times throughout the non hunting seasons, what do the land owners think about it? I know I wouldn't allow it, but that's me.

#5669271 - 03/25/15 06:29 PM Re: Land owners [Re: coolie]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
if its a year around lease, I would have that understanding in the beginning, that's why I pay for yr around..period

#5669273 - 03/25/15 06:30 PM Re: Land owners [Re: coolie]
dkershen Offline

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Speaking from my own experience... This is why we changed from leasing to guided hunts several years ago. Our place is a working ranch, and allowing open access to the property became to much of a headache. Gates left open, hunters showing up without calling ahead, high speed hog chases through freshly plowed fields were just some examples of issues we had. The LO lives on the property and all to often had to check on unknown vehicles and late night headlights. Now we know that any spotlight after dark that's not in our hand belongs to a poacher.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#5669298 - 03/25/15 06:48 PM Re: Land owners [Re: coolie]
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Goldthwaite,Tx
That is one of several reasons we gave up leasing out years ago.

#5669313 - 03/25/15 06:59 PM Re: Land owners [Re: coolie]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
I wouldn't be on a lease that wasn't year round. We go out at least once a month to check in on the place, and check out from reality. Check in on the property, the fences, the landowner's oil equipment, and let him know if anything's out of place. We also go every once in a while to check out the neighbor's property (that we don't lease) and let them know what's up, since they live out of town. Both landowners appreciate that there's someone keeping an eye on the place. The folks that own the neighboring land let us take the kids to fish on their tank to return the favor.

Some of the best times we've had out there were in April or September, sitting by the fire with a cold beverage after a long day planting plots or driving posts. For us, it's not always about the hunting.

#5669350 - 03/25/15 07:29 PM Re: Land owners [Re: KG68]
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
Originally Posted By: KG68
That is one of several reasons we gave up leasing out years ago.

Same here, we got tired of the problems.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5669435 - 03/25/15 08:19 PM Re: Land owners [Re: coolie]
Hook-Em Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Goldthwaite, Tx
Year around leasing is a pain in the butt for us Ranchers trying to make a living off the land. Like said earlier, gates left open etc!

#5669532 - 03/25/15 09:09 PM Re: Land owners [Re: coolie]
Beaubien Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: In the mountains east of ABQ
Mine is year round also. The landowner is a fine Christian man that welcomes me every time I go. I call him the week before I go to let him know I will be there as a courtesy.

#5669656 - 03/25/15 10:15 PM Re: Land owners [Re: coolie]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I go year round and always take the ranch manager for a round of golf then into eat at the steakhouse for a steak dinner peep

#5669665 - 03/25/15 10:27 PM Re: Land owners [Re: stxranchman]
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I go year round and always take the ranch manager for a round of golf then into eat at the steakhouse for a steak dinner peep

Works like a charm banana

I can go anytime I want. But, you leave trash, leave gates open, or just don't be a good steward of the land in general and there isn't enough steak and golf in the world.

#5669690 - 03/25/15 10:52 PM Re: Land owners [Re: txshntr]
matpk Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Works like a charm banana

I can go anytime I want. But, you leave trash, leave gates open, or just don't be a good steward of the land in general and there isn't enough steak and golf in the world.

Good attitude towards owner and respects to the property are key elements for lessee's success.....!!
If not... boxing duel

#5669727 - 03/26/15 12:18 AM Re: Land owners [Re: coolie]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
Landowners, was the hassle that kept you out of leasing something that could be handled by a 15 year lease manager who personally vets any man, woman, or child that steps on the property? That has an established set of rules that, if not followed even once, get an invitation to leave without a refund?

What would it take for you to consider it again? I'm not offering me up (unless you're around Eastland/Stephens county) but I'm just curious what it would take to get you to open the gate.

I've been managing the fellers on our lease for 15 years now, and haven't once had him come to me with a problem. It just seems like y'all got the wrong types of people out there, not the wrong process.

#5669731 - 03/26/15 12:58 AM Re: Land owners [Re: coolie]
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: West Texas
I just really can not imagine my place being anything other than a year round experience for all my hunters and their families. There is never an off-season on my ranch. Deer, turkey, hogs, ducks, dove, squirrel...all the usual suspects but there is this thing called fun and that i s what I am selling. And yes, I've had gates left open. I've had to modify a few gates because some city folks just can't get the hang of wire gates. grin Shoot, I've left a few gates open/unlocked in my day. No harm done. I've had some guys that could tear up a crowbar but that comes with the game. When I open the gate to folks that have spent most of their adult life on a city lot, a few broken crowbars are to be expected. On the other hand, I include a couple of extra crowbars when I price my lease. grin

Spring break, I had several dads and their sons out. Weather was wet, cold and miserable, but the young kids and the old kids had a blast. What's a little mud when you are a teenager. Lord only knows how many miles those kids (young and old) put on their ATV's that week. I may have to do a bit of blading but the roads will soon heal....the memories will last forever. Don't get me wrong. My year round lease is definitely a business but when it is fun for my guys, it is fun for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by aeb (03/26/15 08:57 AM)

You sure you want to poach on our place?

#5669830 - 03/26/15 07:03 AM Re: Land owners [Re: aeb]
Jimbo1 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Grand Prairie, TX
Originally Posted By: aeb
I just really can not imagine my place being anything other than a year round experience for all my hunters and their families. There is never an off-season on my ranch. Deer, turkey, hogs, ducks, dove, squirrel...all the usual suspects but there is this thing called fun and that i s what I am selling. And yes, I've had gates left open. I've had to modify a few gates because some city folks just can't get the hang of wire gates. grin Shoot, I've left a few gates open/unlocked in my day. No harm done. I've had some guys that could tear up a crowbar but that comes with the game. When I open the gate to folks that have spent most of their adult life on a city lot, a few broken crowbars are to be expected. On the other hand, I include a couple of extra crowbars when I price my lease. grin

Spring break, I had several dads and their sons out. Weather was wet, cold and miserable, but the young kids and the old kids kids had a blast. What's a little mud when you are a teenager. Lord only knows how many miles those kids (young and old) put on their ATV's that week. I may have to do a bit of blading but the roads will soon heal....the memories will last forever. Don't get me wrong. My year round lease is definitely a business but when it is fun for my guys, it is fun for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

If (when?) I lose my lease, I would sure like to get on your place. Great attitude Sir. That said, my current LO has been great, and I have nothing but respect for him and his land.

#5669857 - 03/26/15 07:23 AM Re: Land owners [Re: aeb]
therock Offline
Tracker

Loc: Southwest TX
Originally Posted By: aeb

Spring break, I had several dads and their sons out. Weather was wet, cold and miserable, but the young kids and the old kids kids had a blast. What's a little mud when you are a teenager. Lord only knows how many miles those kids (young and old) put on their ATV's that week. I may have to do a bit of blading but the roads will soon heal....the memories will last forever. Don't get me wrong. My year round lease is definitely a business but when it is fun for my guys, it is fun for me. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Super way to look at it and great attitude!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide