475574 Topics
6238717 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5668854 - 03/25/15 01:18 PM Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

I'm sure the same is true for holographic sights as well, but I noticed these and even much cheaper clear lens sights work far better than iron sights for those who are older and nearsighted like me.

Let's face it, there are cases where a magnified scope just gets in the way when making a close (50 yards or less) and otherwise easy shot. After all, there are times when you need to shoot some critter that's just a few yards away. In such cases, older folks like me who are also nearsighted, may have trouble focusing on the target and both the front and rear iron sights, all at the same time. A clear lens or holographic sight with an illuminated dot or cross seems to eliminate the problem.

Just wished someone made one that's smaller and perhaps more compact with an axis that's closer to the barrel like iron sights.

Spring, Texas

#5668960 - 03/25/15 02:58 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
Toxarch Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Parker County
An Eotech will be as low as iron sights on an AR15. Not as low as iron sights on a deer rifle. The nice part about the Eotech is you don't have to be lined up perfectly. The holographic red dot just has to be on the target and you can pull the trigger.
Have you tried fiber optic sights that replace the iron sights? Sounds a little like what you are wanting.

— Dwight D. Eisenhower

#5668964 - 03/25/15 03:00 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Toxarch]
rentzington Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: Toxarch
An Eotech will be as low as iron sights on an AR15. Not as low as iron sights on a deer rifle. The nice part about the Eotech is you don't have to be lined up perfectly. The holographic red dot just has to be on the target and you can pull the trigger.
Have you tried fiber optic sights that replace the iron sights? Sounds a little like what you are wanting.

one issue i had with the eotech is the way that red circle is displayed messes with my vision. I've been told others with glasses and stigmatisms have problems.

key is finding a good red dot that you can see easily, which even a cheaper primary arms one can be good.

#5668981 - 03/25/15 03:16 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
THF Celebrity

One of the cheaper ones is what I have on my Windham SRC now. It's where I discovered the improvement in short range views over iron sights.

I have a 30-30 that I want to use for hunting in thick woods, and to dispatch an occasional armadillo or other nuisance animal. I'm looking at something that's best suited for shots from 5 to 50 yards.

Unlike I could as a younger guy, I can no longer get clear focus on both the front and rear iron sights while seeing the distant target clearly. But of course, once I take my glasses off, I can see both iron sights clearly.

Yes, it's hell to get old. But thankfully, I'm not yet taking little pink pills.

Spring, Texas

#5668988 - 03/25/15 03:18 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: rentzington]
KRoyal Online   sleepy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Sherman/North of Dallas
Originally Posted By: rentzington
Originally Posted By: Toxarch

one issue i had with the eotech is the way that red circle is displayed messes with my vision. I've been told others with glasses and stigmatisms have problems.

key is finding a good red dot that you can see easily, which even a cheaper primary arms one can be good.

I had exact same issue with EoTech. Aimpoints are the tops when it comes to red dots, but they're also very expensive. Of course you normally get what you pay for and I miss my T1 I had. Never turned it off the batteries last 50K+ hours always on. I now see that Primary Arms has come out with a new micro dot that has push button on/off and last on one battery for 50k+ hours. Might have to try me one.

Rapid Design Lab

#5669278 - 03/25/15 06:35 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Yes, it's hell to get old. But thankfully, I'm not yet taking little pink pills.

I think the blue ones might be a greater worry. bolt
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#5669389 - 03/25/15 07:52 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
Cajun_in_Texas Online   content
Outdoorsman

Loc: Katy, TX
Hey Dan

I would suggest looking at the red dot sights from Primary Arms down in Pearland.
Very good pricing and they get good reviews.

#5669717 - 03/25/15 11:38 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Cajun_in_Texas]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Cajun_in_Texas
Hey Dan

I would suggest looking at the red dot sights from Primary Arms down in Pearland.
Very good pricing and they get good reviews.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

Spring, Texas

#5669864 - 03/26/15 07:32 AM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
Classic Rocks Offline
Pro Tracker

Try a micro red dot like they use on comp pistols.

#5670077 - 03/26/15 09:24 AM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
poisonivie Online   happy

Loc: Bridgeport, Tx

This is a Model 94AE with a Burris FastFire II. As you can see, it sets a little high, for my taste anyway. It does work tho. I have the same problem with the eyes. A standard top eject 94 mounts a lot cleaner than this one. Anyway, you get the idea. The Fastfire can be had for about $200 or so. Battery life isn't great but its manageable.

#5670127 - 03/26/15 09:55 AM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
huntandfish Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Seclusion, tx
Leupold makes a micro dot also, ive used on a few .44 magnumpistols. It called delta point and can be had for 300 online! Lifetime warranty also.

#5670198 - 03/26/15 10:44 AM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: poisonivie]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: poisonivie

This is a Model 94AE with a Burris FastFire II. As you can see, it sets a little high, for my taste anyway. It does work tho. I have the same problem with the eyes. A standard top eject 94 mounts a lot cleaner than this one. Anyway, you get the idea. The Fastfire can be had for about $200 or so. Battery life isn't great but its manageable.

This is exactly the plan I have in mind. In fact, I went out last night and picked up a cheap red dot sight and base and stuck it on my 30-30, just to see how well the setup might work. After all, these sights are far more common on AR's than the traditional deer rifle. And to be honest, they do appear a little awkward.

Still, I feel as if I may be a little late on what others have quietly figured out already. It's a great setup for getting off quick shots at a target that can be easily seen without a scope.

Spring, Texas

#5670465 - 03/26/15 01:04 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
ccoker Offline
Veteran Tracker

a red dot on a lever action is awesome..

Disclosure statement
Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

#5670487 - 03/26/15 01:16 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Texas
I bought this for my daughters first rifle:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leatherwood-hi-lux-micro-max-b-dot-20mm-digital-2-moa-dot-sight.html

From the description:

Features of Leatherwood Micro-Max B-Dot Electronic Sight:

Night Vision compatible
Rugged machined aluminum housing
Comes with a solid, low-profile mount
Easily attachable to any Weaver-style one-piece base or MIL-STD 1913 Picatinny rail
Torx Star Head Screw and clamp included
Single battery powers upwards of 55,000 hours, totaling to 6.2 years
Compatible with most handguns, rifles, muzzleloaders, and shotguns
Flip-up lens covers
Kill flash filter
Battery compartment can store one extra CR2032 battery
12-setting digital switch on the top of the sight

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

#5671295 - 03/26/15 09:05 PM Re: Something I noticed about clear lens, dot sights [Re: Texas Dan]
Tactical Cowboy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
I'm partial to a 1-4x.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide