Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? #5665223 03/23/15 04:45 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
The ones where they make an arrow hit in the heart-lung-shoulder area of the deer and then "back out" and return the next morning? With a hit like that, the deer probably fell within 100 yards, but at any rate is almost certainly dead within 30 minutes.

They are beginning to get their come-uppance though, as I am beginning to see shows where they returned the next morning only to find their deer eaten by coyotes.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5665404 03/23/15 06:33 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I quit watching hunting shows. Too much over the top celebrating and hype, over just shooting a deer, coyote or even a bird.
They have fallen victim to the new reality TV fad of over exaggerated, pre-rehearsed television. Fishing shows are just as bad.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5665413 03/23/15 06:40 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Im like simple searcher, they are not what I grew up watching as a kid. Its one big infomercial, a bunch of fake bs, a 20 minute monolog of some guy driving in his truck out of state and then a few minutes of a shot and then they back out and leave it over night because they don't want to push it, only to find it eaten by scavengers or spoiled just inside the tree line etc.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5665423 03/23/15 06:45 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
My new DVR makes watching these shows possible, as I can fast-forward through the commercials and if I miss the kill shot because I'm surfing on my laptop, I can back things up and rewatch. Otherwise, yeah, they would be hard to put up with.

And yeah, I've never seen so much man-hugging! I grew up where men didn't hug men and I still find it off-putting. It's the same thing on "Gold Rush", especially with the Hoffman crew.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5665604 03/23/15 08:25 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I don't have, nor want, cable. Too much BS and nothing to watch. A big waste of money IMO.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5665638 03/23/15 08:47 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
To much drama for me anymore. I see these shows now portraying how tough life is hunting, having a family, keeping mamma happy, etc... OK already, we get it! You love your wife and kids and all that crap, now kill something!.............. Or, selling you crap that 90% of the time doesn't work or is not necessary.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: Erathkid] #5665643 03/23/15 08:49 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
DVR is a life changing phenomena. I hardly ever watch a commercial. Always fast forward thru BS. It is probably the highest value feature of tv to me. Incredible how much time it saves.

And yes, hunting shows typically are pretty lame.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5665665 03/23/15 09:05 PM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
I don't watch them any more. They are to far from reality.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: Simple Searcher] #5665682 03/23/15 09:18 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I quit watching hunting shows. Too much over the top celebrating and hype, over just shooting a deer, coyote or even a bird.
They have fallen victim to the new reality TV fad of over exaggerated, pre-rehearsed television. Fishing shows are just as bad.

Or it's a different deer.
confused2

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5665715 03/23/15 09:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I do not watch very many at all anymore. Buy a camera, ask for a free hunt, film the hunt, find sponsors and start a TV show seem to be qualifications to have a show these days. Poor quality on most of the shows these day and no real info or anything to learn from them.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5665717 03/23/15 09:36 PM
A
allterrain Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Here is an example of those video guys who stand on top of a hill half a mile away from a food plot looking thru these 100mm binoculars to see if big boy is out in the food plot. The food plot has a 4 foot bank all the way around it so you can walk up to the food plot from any side and then the camera man will video tape the hunter crawling thru the grass and poking his head up over the bank and shooting the big buck as if he stalked it. All the while his buddies are still up on top of the hill watching the so called hunt take place.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: decook] #5665718 03/23/15 09:37 PM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: decook

confused2

Agree with both...Now do I watch these shows or not.????

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: Erathkid] #5665759 03/23/15 09:57 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Far worse than the hunting shows on TV is the presence of a film crew and celebrity sharing your hunting camp. Just watch the outfitter, guides, cooks, and wranglers go gaga over the chance of seeing themselves on TV. And you can be sure that the celebrity will hunt the prime stands and locations, often for an animal that has already been scouted (go online an have a look at Colorado Buck's giant Stone sheep). And the celebrity almost always gets a free hunt, while the other hunters in camp have paid full fare for second-class service.

I have shared three hunting camps with hunting show camera crews:

1. Quebec caribou. Archer's Choice (The Choice) with Ralph and Vicky Cianciarulo(Vicki and posse-mate, Dusty, were on this hunt; Ralph was in Alaska).

2. Saskatchewan whitetail. Scrap Yards and Hunters with Will and Mary.

3. Argentina red stag, fallow, and blackbuck. Petersen's Hunting with Brittany Boddington.

In all fairness the Quebec hunt was handled by the outfitter rather fairly, the other two hunts less so. Going forward, I now inquire if there will be a film crew in camp. If so, I won't book a hunt on that date. It's quite unfair to pay $6000+ for a trophy hunt to only be seated in the back of the bus.

Keep that in mind when you're watching a hunting show. In my mind, the whole process just overly commercializes and cheapens the sport of hunting.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5665893 03/23/15 11:15 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
If not sending the wrong message, they mostly send a deceiving message. I understand not pushing a deer, letting it lie but waiting until the following morning is simply a ploy to protract out the drama and bait the audience pure and simple, especially on an apparent or obvious kill shot.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5666049 03/24/15 01:03 AM
Beaubien Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
It also bugs me when they shoot it in broad daylight and recover it in the dark after it ran 30 yards.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: dawaba] #5666110 03/24/15 01:40 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dawaba
Far worse than the hunting shows on TV is the presence of a film crew and celebrity sharing your hunting camp. Just watch the outfitter, guides, cooks, and wranglers go gaga over the chance of seeing themselves on TV. And you can be sure that the celebrity will hunt the prime stands and locations, often for an animal that has already been scouted (go online an have a look at Colorado Buck's giant Stone sheep). And the celebrity almost always gets a free hunt, while the other hunters in camp have paid full fare for second-class service.

1. Quebec caribou. Archer's Choice (The Choice) with Ralph and Vicky Cianciarulo(Vicki and posse-mate, Dusty, were on this hunt; Ralph was in Alaska).

3. Argentina red stag, fallow, and blackbuck. Petersen's Hunting with Brittany Boddington.

In all fairness the Quebec hunt was handled by the outfitter rather fairly, the other two hunts less so. Going forward, I now inquire if there will be a film crew in camp. If so, I won't book a hunt on that date. It's quite unfair to pay $6000+ for a trophy hunt to only be seated in the back of the bus.

Keep that in mind when you're watching a hunting show. In my mind, the whole process just overly commercializes and cheapens the sport of hunting.

I've seen plenty of average Joes that pay for their hunt to be filmed act like celebrities. Quite sad.

I too watch very few shows anymore. It helps that most of the time I look on those channels it's usually a guy in a tree holding a pointed stick and whispering spastically into a camera.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5666659 03/24/15 01:57 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Or a 12-14 year old that hunts all over the world because his dad has more bucks than I could burn in 6 months. I like meet the McMillans because Tom is so funny, and predator nation. rifle

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: Creekrunner] #5666716 03/24/15 02:33 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: dawaba

I've seen plenty of average Joes that pay for their hunt to be filmed act like celebrities. Quite sad.

A family member went on a hunt last Fall and there were people wanting to film the hunt. One guy that has a hunting show straight up told him to tell them no. He wasn't going to be in camp with anyone else because his guide(s) only had him to focus on in the unit, but the guy with the show said on hunts like that you end up taking some heat for prolonging a hunt looking for something you want vs just trying to get good footage of something decent.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5667145 03/24/15 06:59 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
There was a time when you could actually learn something on the hunting or fishing shows but as has been stated they are now just another infomercial pushing their latest sponsors products.
The one legit show that used to be on was Honey Hole. I know because we sponsored them back in the late 90's early 2000's and I was the one that fished with Jerry Dean as the company spokes person. It was all straight up the same thing as if any of us had gone to the lake. If they weren't biting, you went back out the next day and fished until you had caught enough for to make that weeks show. He did want me to use his sponsors bait but when they weren't hitting it I did what I wanted to. What I did worked and he used that on the show. You don't see that any more.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5667147 03/24/15 07:02 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Still a lot of them I like... plenty of them are dumb.. mostly the ones getting way to professional and paying more attention to presentation and wording/camera angle rather than showing the actual hunt

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5667155 03/24/15 07:08 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
It is what it is and as an adult I know what to expect before I watch it. That said...if i'm going to watch a hottie on tv it might as well be one in camo.

These producers today know what catches a mans eye...wink wink.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5667199 03/24/15 07:29 PM
Beaubien Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
BDB, couldn't agree more. Tiffany is one of my favorites, there is a blonde whose name escapes me.

I'm in my mid 50's and am still waiting to actually see one of those hotties in the woods. One day it could happen.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: postoak] #5667238 03/24/15 07:46 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I like seeing big deer...so I watch some of these shows....but I know bs when I see it.

That said, I do enjoy Canadian Whitetail TV...if you haven't seen the show you may find it refreshing.

Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: Matpk] #5667449 03/24/15 09:53 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: matpk
Originally Posted By: decook

confused2

Agree with both...Now do I watch these shows or not.????

You can if you like. I do on occasion but it is rare.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Anyone else find these hunting shows annoying? [Re: 7ARanch] #5667564 03/24/15 11:11 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
There was a time when you could actually learn something on the hunting or fishing shows but as has been stated they are now just another infomercial pushing their latest sponsors products.
The one legit show that used to be on was Honey Hole. I know because we sponsored them back in the late 90's early 2000's and I was the one that fished with Jerry Dean as the company spokes person. It was all straight up the same thing as if any of us had gone to the lake. If they weren't biting, you went back out the next day and fished until you had caught enough for to make that weeks show. He did want me to use his sponsors bait but when they weren't hitting it I did what I wanted to. What I did worked and he used that on the show. You don't see that any more.

Actually enjoyed that show.. up

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide