Re: Ivermectin sources? [Re: Western] #5659196 03/19/15 10:40 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Western
dawaba,

Thanks for your opine up Didn't ask as a slight, but knew you where a vet, so likely knowledgeable on this. I was most curious about the diluting of the Ivermectin. I thought about leaving out the reference to vets and pharma income, but that wasn't the focus of what I was curios about and it was part of the article anyway, not my thoughts.

Concerning this "Just give the commercial preparations as per your vet's good advice and get on with your life." Is there an OTC product that you feel worth mentioning as far as HW? Also, I have had great luck using SafeGaurd dewormer (fenbendizol) (sp), much better job than Sentry IMO for worming, have any other options that may be better, or stick with the SG.

Thanks

The reason for diluting the injectable cattle ivermectin 1:10 with propylene glycol is to make it easier to measure the tiny amount of product needed for your dog. It is much easier to measure .3 cc than to measure .03 cc.

Ivermectin is the only OTC product that is readily available for HW prevention, I believe. I've been retired almost exactly 3 years now, and things may have changed. I believe that if the HW drug says "for dogs" you must have a prescription from your vet (Ivermectin injectable is "for cattle"). I know a few vets hang out here on the THF, so maybe one of them will chime in. Most practicing veterinarians, as well as the Texas Board that watches over us, require that dogs get annual HW tests before they can sign off on writing a prescription. This is to ensure that an unsuspecting dog owner doesn't give HW preventative to a HW-positive dog.....which could be a train wreck.

Fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur) is an effective wormer for most intestinal parasites. It does a great job on whipworms, which many other parasiticides don't control. Unless you have a recurring worm problem in your kennel, you probably don't need to give it monthly, as you do your HW meds. A practical approach might be to give the SG every 3 months, when you change your dogs' Preventic collars.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Ivermectin sources? [Re: aerangis] #5659749 03/20/15 11:36 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Thanks! up I will look into the Preventic collars as well, usually use Frontline for ticks a fleas with good results.

Thanks for the information, the dilution reasoning makes sense now

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide