Print Thread
Where to hunt for sheds? #5657018 03/18/15 07:39 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I have some off time now that there is no season until turkey. I was wanting to look for some sheds but I just don't know what kind of areas to look in. I do not want to go into their bedding area so do yall find them around their feeding areas (fields and feeders) or do you just get lucky walking through the woods and find them? Thanks!

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: B Razorback] #5657022 03/18/15 07:42 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Start at your feed pens and start making circles working your way into a larger and larger circle

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: B Razorback] #5657031 03/18/15 07:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Fence lines, creek crossing, road crossings, ditches, bottom of draws, downwind side of food plots, downside of feeders, stock ponds, water troughs, edges, feeding areas etc. Around fences or ditches look away from it a distance since a buck will sometimes hit the ground hard in a spot and antlers will jar loose then fall off after a few jumps or running a bit.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: B Razorback] #5657039 03/18/15 07:54 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Ok thanks I appreciate it!

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: B Razorback] #5657043 03/18/15 07:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Be prepared to do lots of walking. Don't spend all of your time looking way off when walking or you will walk by sheds that are at your feet. Also think about how many bucks you have seen during a season. There will be 2 sheds(most of the time) for each one. If you have a buck for 20 acres then you will have to cover 10 acres to find one side. Finding where deer are concentrated at will up those odds.

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: stxranchman] #5657135 03/18/15 08:50 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Fence lines, creek crossing, road crossings, ditches, bottom of draws, downwind side of food plots, downside of feeders, stock ponds, water troughs, edges feeding areas etc. Around fences or ditches look away from it a distance since a buck will sometimes hit the ground hard in a spot and antlers will jar loose then fall off after a few jumps or running a bit.

This ^^

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: dkershen] #5657162 03/18/15 08:59 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
agree - feed pens and trails leading to the feed pens. Any water source - we find them around the stock tanks. We have no problem finding the bedding areas this time of year and walking through them as they will drop them where they bed.

Slow steady walking and don't be in a hurry - obviously looking for the white or tan color - it is a blast. We go in south texas mid to late April and spend a weekend looking

You can't fix stupid
Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: B Razorback] #5657165 03/18/15 09:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Getting awfully tall and green down south right now. That is going to make it tough to find sheds in the next few weeks.

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: B Razorback] #5657173 03/18/15 09:04 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Ive spent countless hours hunting for shed antlers in east tx. Half of the sheds Ive found were while hunting or fishing. The best way to find sheds is to always look for them while you are in the hunting woods, but don't forget to look up at what your hunting too. They might run off. The other half was while shed hunting. I have found most of my sheds where the buck feeds near a bedding area. Most of the time they will be on the edge of a wood or brush line in a field. Remember when they are shedding, lets say March, the grass is lush and they don't have to travel far from their bedding area. I try to watch deer movement up until they shed. This is the easiest way to know where your buck herd is, so your not tromping around in no mans land. Ive found between 70 and 80 sheds and have been with friends when they found some. A lot the sheds get chopped up and bailed up by the hay bailers. I have found sheds in bedding areas and near dips or creeks. I also have stepped on them while walking and stopped to see what was under the grass. Don't think you cant walk right over them. I stepped over an elk shed up north that was 3ft long one time because I thought it was a tree branch. My friend got that one. walking

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: stxranchman] #5657241 03/18/15 09:41 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Getting awfully tall and green down south right now. That is going to make it tough to find sheds in the next few weeks.

I think this is why we find most of our sheds during dear season when things have died back and lost leaves.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: redchevy] #5657270 03/18/15 09:54 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I think this is why we find most of our sheds during dear season when things have died back and lost leaves.

My 3 best years for finding sheds(200+ per year) were when we had a drought and ice in early March to knock the vegetation to the ground. This year will be very tough, only ones will be the ones in openings, roads or pens with short vegetation.

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: stxranchman] #5657277 03/18/15 09:58 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

My 3 best years for finding sheds(200+ per year) were when we had a drought and ice in early March to knock the vegetation to the ground. This year will be very tough, only ones will be the ones in openings, roads or pens with short vegetation.

Notice any difference in properties with/without stock?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: redchevy] #5657296 03/18/15 10:11 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Notice any difference in properties with/without stock?

Yes I did on water sources. Places with water troughs only you will find more around the water sources in dry years. Places with a lot of ponds and creeks or lots of water make it more difficult since deer seem to be more spread over the whole ranch. In South Texas the back end(flow entry) side of tanks can be very good in years with less rainfall. I have pulled up to large tanks with low water levels and found a lot sheds laying in the open area around the bar-pit. Usually the only green vegetation on a ranch sometimes is around the water in the pit. One ranch I looked for sheds on had only 8 tanks on it and then one large creek over about 6000 acres. In dry years those water sources were gold mines for sheds vs a year like this. In a year like this if the water level was low and not enough rain to raise water level, the weeds grew so tall you could not find sheds. If the tank was full then it was a waste of time trying to look around one. The more surface water you have will keep the deer spread out over the whole ranch.

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: B Razorback] #5657716 03/19/15 02:04 AM
B
Buccaneer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Two other tips for you:

1) Stop often and turn around and look behind you. No, they won't sneak up on you, but you might see one that you couldn't see when walking forward, since they might be obscured by a tree or a bush or cactus, etc.

2) If you have a shed already, toss it out in some different areas so you can get used to what to look for. It's similar to stalking animals - you're not necessarily looking for the whole thing, but rather a tine or curve of a beam.

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: stxranchman] #5657752 03/19/15 02:22 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

Find most of ours with a baler.

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: B Razorback] #5657768 03/19/15 02:27 AM
B
billyhunt Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Thanks a bunch cause I have been wondering too.

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: stxranchman] #5657804 03/19/15 02:48 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

My Ranger Tires finds them pretty good bang

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: SniperRAB] #5657832 03/19/15 03:00 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

My Ranger Tires finds them pretty good bang

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: rifleman] #5657898 03/19/15 03:42 AM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted By: rifleman

And plowing. mad

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: aeb] #5657902 03/19/15 03:48 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: aeb

And plowing. mad

Had a place baled last year and the recipient got a nice 5pt elk shed...lol

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: aeb] #5658128 03/19/15 12:15 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: aeb

And plowing. mad

I always had to shred first to plow..I would find one in a tirebang after it went flat mad

Re: Where to hunt for sheds? [Re: B Razorback] #5658190 03/19/15 12:55 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I carry binoculars when shed hunting. You are going to see a lot stuff that looks like an antler, but its not. The specs will save a lot of waisted time and walking. You might catch yourself driving down the highway looking for sheds in the ditches. Do wreck. roflmao

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide