Print Thread
Wild Hog Roast #5655433 03/17/15 10:26 PM
C
Carlos B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Has anyone roasted a wild hog over some hot coals? Do you remove the hair or the whole skin? What about the hair on the head?
I was thinking of trying it out myself but I'd love to hear from someone that has prepared a hog in the past this way. stir

Thanks!

Re: Wild Hog Roast [Re: Carlos B] #5656261 03/18/15 01:17 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I cook (smoke) mine in a pit (smoker) with the skin on. First I hang them head down and cut the throat the bleed them out. Then I take a hand held propane torch and old glove to burn all the hair off...wave the torch over the hair then rub with the glove. You have to repeat several times to work your way down to the skin. Be sure to keep the torch moving as to not scorch the skin. This removes all the hair, dirt and external parasites. Then I cut the head off, gut it (if not previously done) and rinse thoroughly with water.

Then I stuff the pig in the pit on its back. Light a fire and get it rolling good then cut all the air off to the fire box and close off the exhaust damper so it "cooks" low and slow. I try to keep the temp about 125-150 and smoke it for 24-36 hrs. I check (add) wood about every 6 hours otherwise keep everything closed up. The skin will turn hard and black almost like a cast iron skillet. The fat layer on the pigs back insulates the meat and the oils and fluids from the meat are contained inside the skin which keeps the meat moist. Use you finger to poke the skin to determine when its done. If it is hard and firm when you push with your finger keep smoking. When your finger pushes in 1/2" and it "feels" soft inside then its ready.

Open up the pit and start pulling the pig apart. I use aluminum turkey pans for the meat. You will need thick insulated rubber gloves to remove the meat. I separate the meat from skin, bones, fat and gristle. Then I take the meat into the house for further cleaning and storage prep. I take large sheets of aluminum foil an place a double handful of meat at one end and the roll into a log about 2" thick and 8-10" long. I freeze these for future use. The meat tastes like brisket and is wonderful on a tortilla with a little red pepper jelly!

I never have dug a pit in the ground and buried one. I prefer a smoker so I can monitor the temp, wood, and pig.

I will post pics later.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Wild Hog Roast [Re: SnakeWrangler] #5656313 03/18/15 01:51 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
I cook (smoke) mine in a pit (smoker) with the skin on. First I hang them head down and cut the throat the bleed them out. Then I take a hand held propane torch and old glove to burn all the hair off...wave the torch over the hair then rub with the glove. You have to repeat several times to work your way down to the skin. Be sure to keep the torch moving as to not scorch the skin. This removes all the hair, dirt and external parasites. Then I cut the head off, gut it (if not previously done) and rinse thoroughly with water.

Then I stuff the pig in the pit on its back. Light a fire and get it rolling good then cut all the air off to the fire box and close off the exhaust damper so it "cooks" low and slow. I try to keep the temp about 125-150 and smoke it for 24-36 hrs. I check (add) wood about every 6 hours otherwise keep everything closed up. The skin will turn hard and black almost like a cast iron skillet. The fat layer on the pigs back insulates the meat and the oils and fluids from the meat are contained inside the skin which keeps the meat moist. Use you finger to poke the skin to determine when its done. If it is hard and firm when you push with your finger keep smoking. When your finger pushes in 1/2" and it "feels" soft inside then its ready.

Open up the pit and start pulling the pig apart. I use aluminum turkey pans for the meat. You will need thick insulated rubber gloves to remove the meat. I separate the meat from skin, bones, fat and gristle. Then I take the meat into the house for further cleaning and storage prep. I take large sheets of aluminum foil an place a double handful of meat at one end and the roll into a log about 2" thick and 8-10" long. I freeze these for future use. The meat tastes like brisket and is wonderful on a tortilla with a little red pepper jelly!

I never have dug a pit in the ground and buried one. I prefer a smoker so I can monitor the temp, wood, and pig.

I will post pics later.
WOW!!!!!! food

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: Wild Hog Roast [Re: SnakeWrangler] #5656412 03/18/15 02:51 PM
C
Carlos B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

I will post pics later.

chef My mouth was watering as I read this food

Do you cook the wild hog or a pig from a butcher?

I was trying to do it on a a hand-made spit over some fire. Mostly for the experience and bragging rights of being the only one in my family and circle of friends to do something like this. It'll help if the meat is good and everyone can enjoy themselves.

Re: Wild Hog Roast [Re: Carlos B] #5657295 03/18/15 10:09 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I am waiting on pictures ... I want to see how big your pit is or how small of a hog you are doing. I really like your process though and might give it a try with a small to medium size hog that would fit in my 24 inch diameter LyfeTyme offset with smoker. I think I could go up to 80# whole hog

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Wild Hog Roast [Re: PMK] #5657420 03/18/15 11:36 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Originally Posted By: Carlos B
Do you cook the wild hog or a pig from a butcher?

Wild pigs...my favorite meat.

Originally Posted By: PMK
I am waiting on pictures ... I want to see how big your pit is or how small of a hog you are doing. I really like your process though and might give it a try with a small to medium size hog that would fit in my 24 inch diameter LyfeTyme offset with smoker. I think I could go up to 80# whole hog

I will post pics Thur of Fri...I am at work and they are on my personal computer at home.

As for the pit...I have two available. One is a 30"(?) in the back yard that I can stuff a 80-100 lb pig in. My BIL has a commercial pit that is 4' wide, 5' tall, and 8' deep. My son shot a hog over 250#'s that I had to use a tractor and front end loader to put on that pit...smoked for 32 hrs...turned out amazing!

Re: Wild Hog Roast [Re: Carlos B] #5657613 03/19/15 01:14 AM
Etex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Snakewrangler that pic I saw looked amazing x100

Re: Wild Hog Roast [Re: Carlos B] #5659269 03/19/15 11:40 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Been up since 4am yesterday with only bout 20 min sleep since...just got home...here are a couple.. I will post more tomorrow after a little sleep.

First is my oldest with his pig...he is just over 6ft.

And after 32 hrs...

As you can see the hooves are still on...the fluid in the chest cavity...the skin hard and black...and how the meat is pulling away from the bone....

The rack the pig is on is 4'X8' for a size comparison. I will look for and post more pics tomorrow. Sorry I'm so brain dead right now....... bang

Re: Wild Hog Roast [Re: Carlos B] #5676112 03/30/15 05:19 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
flehan food

Re: Wild Hog Roast [Re: Carlos B] #5676134 03/30/15 05:29 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I burn the hair off the hide with a pear burner until it blisters and starts to look like pork cracklings. Then smoke.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide