6240839 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5655424 - 03/17/15 05:18 PM USPS - mailing cartridge cases
trapperben Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Lubbock and Texas
Is it legal to use USPS to mail fired cartridge cases? Their restricted items list seemed to say anything firearms related was prohibited.

#5655515 - 03/17/15 06:34 PM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
fr3db3ar Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Holland, MI
It's just brass. Mail away.

#5655619 - 03/17/15 07:37 PM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
JRJ6 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Yes, no issues

#5655649 - 03/17/15 07:57 PM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
What would that rifle brass become if you put it in a crucible, made it liquid, and poured it into a mold?

Answer: harmless, same as it is now.

Mail all you want, I've done it many times.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#5655722 - 03/17/15 08:28 PM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
trapperben Offline
Woodsman

Thanks all. Someone will be happy to get their brass.

#5655861 - 03/17/15 09:41 PM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
Answer NO to all the flammable & prohibited item ??'s and if asked what the contents are...respond with " inert... non breakable ... non flammable ... Machine Parts...wanna see 'em? ".

The less said the better you are...but DON"T LIE about anything...USPS EE's DO NOT know what their own Regs say & most have never seen the appropriate Regs printed out, or understand the diffs in one gun from another....as described in the USPS Regs.

My DA local USPS clerk freaked one time when I said I was shipping couple box's of "bullets" - Nosler & Sierra labeled sealed boxed bullets - and has never gotten over it when I opened the taped box and told her that the only way to shoot one of these was throw one at somebody without all the rest of the stuff needed to make 'em Go Boom ...
Ron

Edited by WileyCoyote (03/17/15 09:49 PM)

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#5657274 - 03/18/15 04:56 PM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
tenyearsgone Offline
Pro Tracker

I get brass all the time in flat rate boxes.

#5657688 - 03/18/15 08:51 PM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: tenyearsgone]
trapperben Offline
Woodsman

It was no problem. I expected to be asked what was in the package but the clerk just told me to answer the questions noted above. Thanks again for the replies.

#5657988 - 03/19/15 12:49 AM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
Gone to Texas Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hurst
I thought you could ship rifles USPS?

#5658085 - 03/19/15 06:32 AM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
RiverRider Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
Yes, you can mail a rifle. Just gotta follow applicable laws.

Originally Posted By: Cleric
God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#5658110 - 03/19/15 07:01 AM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
jeh7mmmag Online   happy
gramps

Loc: Colleyville, DFW, TX
Originally Posted By: trapperben
It was no problem. I expected to be asked what was in the package but the clerk just told me to answer the questions noted above. Thanks again for the replies.

Brass fittings up

How are dealer shipping new brass to customer? I have bought and shipped a lot of brass and never thought about it being illegal?? confused2

#5658261 - 03/19/15 08:29 AM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

USPS regs call for the Counter Clerk to ask several ??'s concerning flamability or explosion potential of the contents on package shipments...they don't ask for an explanation of the contents other than that. Empty brass I assume with fired primers in place are legal to ship. Live primers ??? but Distributors regularly ship Live primed brass ...so dunno... all I buy or have sold in the past is unprimed brass.

I've shipped several K's at a time of brass and bullets over the years, answering the above ??'s truthfully and being willing to have the Clerk open the sealed package to prove it. That one clerk I challenged does not ?? me about it anymore based on my answer of "machine parts", except to ask the req'd standard ??'s. She's simply following the Regs, and CYA's herself in doing so. Can't blame her for that given her CS work requirements and poor leadership of management's training....but then Ya gotta see to believe the legalese double speak of the Regs.

As far as shipping long guns, go look at and PRINT OUT the USPS Regs in the Gun Broker Tutorial, study it so you understand the arcane Gubbamint language...and IMO you will have 1000% more knowledge than my Local USPS Post Master, or mebbe I got a new one now & who knows or cares, and all of the staff who don't care to argue with their Boss....because they don't know the differience between one type of firearm from another and take the easy Catch All Attitude by lumping ALL Firearms as Prohibited to ship...when the USPS regs ALLOW LONG GUNS to be shipped. Mucho Mo Easier to Be Dumb and keep your J O B. Classic case of the view never changes when you ain't the lead dog pulling the sled.

Last Long gun I shipped - out of state to an FFL for the FFL transfer to the buyer per the Regs, my local USPS POstmaster went to great lengths to wave a set of Regs at me, trying to intimadate and embarrass me with his ignorant display of Management Power and prove to his watching staff and the crowd of women waiting for service that HE was the Boss, Right or Wrong ...He WAS the Boss ...yelling that he would not allow me to ship my package that contained a firearm and break the USPS regs for my convenience and jepeordize Him and HIS Staff with breaking Federal Felony Law... that I had go track down and use some part time FFL guy he knew to do the shipping at additional expense for me, saying he would call the cops on me if I wanted to contest his opinion without ever READING THE REGS & Noting the DIFFERENT REGS for Long Guns and Handguns...10 minutes later I walked into the USPS location in the next town and the clerk looked at the package, asked me the Standard ??'s and processed the shipment with no issues in 3 minutes.

Shipping Handguns are another issue, shipping inert brass and bullets are a Non Issue, any more than shipping nails, nuts, bolts and screws is. Again, go look at the GunBroker Tutorial - mid to bottom right hand side of the Home Page as I remember - for the straight Answers...and PRINT your self a copy of them. BTDT
Ron

Edited by WileyCoyote (03/19/15 08:57 AM)

#5659737 - 03/20/15 06:11 AM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
GasGuzzler Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cooke County, Texas
I can't believe they would ask specifically what's in the box if you answered the "hazardous, liquid, perishable, perfume or lithium batteries" question. Sure, they can x-ray at the terminal and get really pissed if there's a no-no in there but the clerk has no right to ask specifically what's in the package and damn sure ain't allowed to open it, nor do you have to open it to prove anything (to the clerk).

Brass is treated no different than a box of rocks.

#5660912 - 03/20/15 06:51 PM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

GG I totally agree with your thouhts...and why I don't use my local USPS to ship anything SG related from anymore except scopes marked with Fragile Glass statements.

It does seem that they have a new PM and some new staff too...so there may have been a change made in attitudes too. We'll see when it is not critical time wise to ship some bullets. I'm gonna dump some calibers bullets and hard to find brass as I continue to down size.
Ron

#5660962 - 03/20/15 07:13 PM Re: USPS - mailing cartridge cases [Re: trapperben]
Tactical Cowboy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
It's fine. I've shipped thousands of bullets and empty cases over the years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide