Print Thread
Does anyone have free range fallow? #5649687 03/13/15 04:02 PM
C
colbee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
I have hunted free range blackbuck, axis, aoudad, and nilgai, but was wondering if anyone had free range fallow or even maybe free range mouflon? Haven't heard of many of these in free range habitat.
Thanks.

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5649798 03/13/15 05:13 PM
B
bghunter3 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Chalk Creek ranch has free range Moufloun. I hunting with them and great ranch

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5650681 03/14/15 04:00 AM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
There wont be any pure truly free ranging mouflon in Texas but there are a few places that have some crosses that look pretty close.
I offer hunts for the crosses in the Del Rio area and Devils river parts in Val Verde county that are free range and they will jump a fence with ease
if they wanted too.

If you find a legitimate place that does have free range fallow (in Texas) I have a long list of guys interested in a hunt for one.

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5650970 03/14/15 02:24 PM
C
cjbs2003 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Mulie Mike summed it up perfectly! Sheep of nearly all species and breeds freely interbreed and generally create fertile offspring. No area of Texas has a pure mouflon sheep herd. With feral domestic breeds and other species of sheep also in the free range, hybridization is inevitable.

There may be a few scattered herds of truly free ranging fallow deer in Texas. However, fallow deer are not the wariest of deer species and thus take a beating in the free range environment. So even then finding a decent fallow buck is tough. Add in that most of these populations are scattered and small, free ranging fallow buck success would be a real challenge.

I know of two small free ranging fallow deer herds in Maryland. One in Talbot County, the other in Prince George's County. There exact locations are tight lipped and unless you're family, you're not getting permission to hunt the land. I've seen a couple decent fallow bucks killed in both locales. Biggest was around 180".

Both herds date back about 30 years when Maryland outlawed private ownership of any deer species. Deer farmers in both locations decided to release their herds in the wild when the state came to seize them. They've maintained small herds since.

All other free ranging fallow deer herds are in no hunting zones in the United States. It's either Europe, New Zealand or Argentina if you want truly free range fallow deer, especially of trophy quality...

Last edited by cjbs2003; 03/14/15 02:31 PM.
Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: cjbs2003] #5651167 03/14/15 06:18 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: cjbs2003
Mulie Mike summed it up perfectly! Sheep of nearly all species and breeds freely interbreed and generally create fertile offspring. No area of Texas has a pure mouflon sheep herd. With feral domestic breeds and other species of sheep also in the free range, hybridization is inevitable.

There may be a few scattered herds of truly free ranging fallow deer in Texas. However, fallow deer are not the wariest of deer species and thus take a beating in the free range environment. So even then finding a decent fallow buck is tough. Add in that most of these populations are scattered and small, free ranging fallow buck success would be a real challenge.

I know of two small free ranging fallow deer herds in Maryland. One in Talbot County, the other in Prince George's County. There exact locations are tight lipped and unless you're family, you're not getting permission to hunt the land. I've seen a couple decent fallow bucks killed in both locales. Biggest was around 180".

Both herds date back about 30 years when Maryland outlawed private ownership of any deer species. Deer farmers in both locations decided to release their herds in the wild when the state came to seize them. They've maintained small herds since.

All other free ranging fallow deer herds are in no hunting zones in the United States. It's either Europe, New Zealand or Argentina if you want truly free range fallow deer, especially of trophy quality...

Hungary has nice free range fallow as well

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5651838 03/15/15 07:39 AM
C
cjbs2003 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Yup, Hungary is in Europe...

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: cjbs2003] #5652430 03/15/15 10:54 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

Thats crazy I grew up in MD and have never heard of this. We had great whitetails but I was mostly in Carroll and Howard Co.

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: sparrish8] #5652453 03/15/15 11:21 PM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Hunted the Granite Hills ranch back in the late 90's in Llano county and we had free range fallow on it. I had my sites on a very nice buck opening evening and took off before I could pull the trigger. I killed at least one doe a year for five years.

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5653333 03/16/15 03:17 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Off the top of my head, the only ranch I know of that has free-range Fallow is the Rio Bonito Ranch: http://www.riobonito.com/

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5653416 03/16/15 04:15 PM
C
colbee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Oh I know they wouldn't be pure. I had a guy send me a post about free range fallow he had a couple years ago on another forum, but I guess they changed that forum up completely. I can't get back to my information.

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5653639 03/16/15 06:48 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: colbee
Oh I know they wouldn't be pure. I had a guy send me a post about free range fallow he had a couple years ago on another forum, but I guess they changed that forum up completely. I can't get back to my information.

What are you talking about? The only thing that will successfully cross with an European Fallow (Dama dama) is a Mesopotamian Fallow (Dama mesopatamica). There's a little Mesopotamian blood in farmed Fallow but there's not enough of it to create a problem. They are both Fallow deer anyway.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5653708 03/16/15 07:43 PM
C
colbee Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
talking about the mouflon cross breeding not the fallow

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5657130 03/18/15 08:47 PM
T
Txnrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
We have both legitimately free range fallow and free range mouflon. www.kentcreekranch.com or Kent Creek Ranch on FB. Our mouflon look as good or better than many sold as pure. Occasionally you get one with a weak saddle but they are not the mouflon-colored hybrids you often see. There's a solid pocket of both in Real County - it just takes enough land to manage them - they aren't big ranging animals, we generally see specific bucks within a 250-500 acre area their whole lives.

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5657163 03/18/15 08:59 PM
T
Txnrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Posting pics on here is a pain, but all the fallow on our FB were this years free range - none shot as they were too young.

The one mouflon kill was free range as well. Pics on our website of mouflon and fallow are free range animals as well.

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5657970 03/19/15 04:57 AM
C
cjbs2003 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
Great looking hunting operation Txnrog, how many acres is the free range portion of the ranch?

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: colbee] #5657976 03/19/15 05:22 AM
B
bghunter3 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Kent creek was a great operation. I took an addax with them last May. Great ranch, great guide, great lodging all you could ask for hope to get back there one day soon.

You will not regret hunting there.

Re: Does anyone have free range fallow? [Re: cjbs2003] #5659207 03/19/15 10:51 PM
T
Txnrog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Great looking hunting operation Txnrog, how many acres is the free range portion of the ranch?

Thanks, I'm a little jaded, but kinda like the place too! 1500 acres. Backs to some thick cedar country that I don't think the fallow go into much. We always have a couple new bucks show up around the rut, but most tend to stay on the property.

I do agree with the statements above about them being challenging to manage free range. They dont seem to get smart until they are about 4yrs old or so, and most hunters get real excited with a 3 yr old with a bit of palmation. They are also less productive and more drought sensitive than a lot of exotics, so it's easy to hurt the herd if you get too aggressive with them.

I have hunted free range fallow in South Africa, New Zealand, and Spain, with the exception of Spain, you don't generally get awesome genetics on free range animals - can still get some really nice heads, but most are of English descent (which is where the whites and chocolates originated), the Central European stuff that some folks are breeding now are definately bigger in horn and body.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide