Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette #5652264 03/15/15 07:41 PM
B
blanked Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
There was a comment made not too long ago about approaching a point on the left side or right side being a right way and a wrong way. Something of that nature. Any way what are the gentlemen rules and if not self explanatory what is the reason for it. Not talking about commen sense safety

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5652279 03/15/15 08:09 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Don't shoot un pointed birds.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5652404 03/15/15 10:30 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Birds should be pointed by the dog, flushed by the hunter. It irks me to see dogs released to flush. That is my job. And if you going to have a dog in the field, it needs to honor or be learning how.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5652458 03/15/15 11:25 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Birds should be pointed by the dog, flushed by the hunter. It irks me to see dogs released to flush. That is my job. And if you going to have a dog in the field, it needs to honor or be learning how.

I disagree about the dog backing. With today's e collars he should not be in the field at all, but then again I guess it depends on if you're the guest or the host.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5652538 03/16/15 12:09 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
I see hunters with pointing dogs, that use the flushing breeds to flush with, never quite understood that... hammer

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5652843 03/16/15 02:38 AM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Bill,
Don't misunderstand. If a dog is in the field, it needs to back. It is so simple to teach with the e-collar. I have taken young dogs to the field to set up a backing situation. It works without fail most of the time. What I meant is if they will not back, they need to be learning how.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5653247 03/16/15 02:25 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
There are times I flush the birds my dog points, and times I use a lab to flush them.
It all depends on how thick the cover is they are holding in.
I've even thrown a rock in wild rose hedgerow to get them to flush before.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5655423 03/17/15 10:18 PM
B
blanked Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
There has got to be more to this gentlemen bob than that. The sport coat and tie, smoking a pipe. Lots more

Last edited by blanked; 03/17/15 10:19 PM.
Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5655532 03/17/15 11:43 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: blanked
There has got to be more to this gentlemen bob than that. The sport coat and tie, smoking a pipe. Lots more

An worn out cowboy hat, old army surplus shirt, and a swisher sweet cigar fits me better.

I imagine on any gentleman Bob Texas Quail hunter purist's etiquette list would be to not shoot things that don't fly. Therefore, I am pretty sure I would never be mistaken for someone named Bob. wink

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5656283 03/18/15 01:34 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I don't own a sports coat,tie or smoking pipe.
I'm not even a gentlemen.
I'm also not a bob purist.
If its legal to shoot,and has wings, I want to hunt it with my dog.
Other than a few common sense rules before a hunt with someone new, it should be easy.

As far as etiquette goes; Not being a arse, and ruining the hunt for everyone else is the only thing that matters to me. I'm only out there because I enjoy working dogs, and shooting a few birds.
You should be able to get along with most people in the field. If not you might be the one that's the horses [censored].

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5662839 03/22/15 04:00 AM
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Depends on your partner. If he is left handed you want to give him a shot to his strong side.
A hunter should flush the bird, not a dog and like bill sez you only shoot pointed birds. Angle of approach should also depend on what way you think the birds will fly. If you have hunted the covey before or are in familiar cover you may have a good idea where they want to fly to.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5662871 03/22/15 04:46 AM
C
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Can someone please tell me the difference in a dog flushing vs a hunting guide or you as the shooter flushing the birds? I've done it both ways and I like seeing the dog flush. I guess what I'm asking is why have some folks said not to use a dog to flush? I know if a pointer of any breed is not conditioned to work with a flusher it makes the pointer want to beat the flushing dog to the flush and cause the pointer not to hold point, but other than that I can't see why it would Make a difference.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: Catch Dog] #5663032 03/22/15 12:55 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: Catch Dog
Can someone please tell me the difference in a dog flushing vs a hunting guide or you as the shooter flushing the birds? I've done it both ways and I like seeing the dog flush. I guess what I'm asking is why have some folks said not to use a dog to flush? I know if a pointer of any breed is not conditioned to work with a flusher it makes the pointer want to beat the flushing dog to the flush and cause the pointer not to hold point, but other than that I can't see why it would Make a difference.

It is a long standing tradition taught to me by the old school quail hunters many years ago. The birddog field trials started in the Old South and the dog had to be steady to wing and shot. That carried over a lot to one's personal hunting string of dogs or at least be steady to wing.

Last edited by NorthTXbirdhunter; 03/22/15 02:59 PM.
Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5663198 03/22/15 02:45 PM
C
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C

It is a long standing tradition taught to me by the old school quail hunters many years ago. The birddog field trials started in the Od South and the dog had to be steady to wing and shot. That carried over a lot to one's personal hunting string of dogs or at least be steady to wing.

I completely agree. But are yall talking about having the pointer flush or a flushing dog flush the birds for a shot? I understand not wanting the pointers to flush, but I still don't understand why not have a flushing dog as a springer spaniel or a lab or any other type of animal that could be used to flush. My GSP holds steady to wing when my ESS is out front flushing. But I haven't been around long and still haven't seen a dog steady to shot, Don't judge me on that!!!

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: Catch Dog] #5663224 03/22/15 02:57 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Oh no, I am not judging you at all. To each his own on how he or she flushes their birds over their dog pointing. The reason the guides use a flush dog is for safety with potentially inexperienced gunners in the hunting party. Nobody can predict the pattern a covey will fly upon flush and the guide would rather his dog get out front and flush so he can take cover if necessary behind the scene. He keeps the gunners in front of him for safety and does not allow them to shoot behind themselves.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5663232 03/22/15 03:03 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My wife died and left my a Yorkie. I can't leave her at home. I never had to break her in to a gun. She loves to flush, and everyone enjoys watching her. Some of our birds dig into the rose bush pretty good. We usually have a lab along, but he can't get in under the rose like little Muffin can.

[Linked Image]

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: bill oxner] #5663273 03/22/15 03:27 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
My wife died and left my a Yorkie. I can't leave her at home. I never had to break her in to a gun. She loves to flush, and everyone enjoys watching her. Some of our birds dig into the rose bush pretty good. We usually have a lab along, but he can't get in under the rose like little Muffin can.

Bill, I can certainly appreciate and understand your situation with the Yorkie. Question....How did you flush prior to this? You mention NSTRA alot in your commentary. A pointing dog has to be pretty broke and stand while the gunner is out front flushing, right? I assume that you used this same MO while you were hunting. I know that a dog that flushes in that trial or any other pointing dog trial is not going to be cutting any cake. Game is over.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5663281 03/22/15 03:33 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There is a big difference in flushing on command and going with the hunter when he flushes. Going with the hunter will cost you a find in NSTRA. Flushing on command is difficult to teach. I don't mind if other dogs do it while hunting if the gunners are ready.

[Linked Image]

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5663299 03/22/15 03:48 PM
C
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
NorthTXbirdhunter,

What I meant was, don't judge me on not seeing a dog that was steady to wing and shot. All the dogs I've had the pleasure to feed and hunt with where not steady to shot, nor have the dogs I hunted with that I did not own. That's all. I'm sorry, should have been more clear.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: Catch Dog] #5663315 03/22/15 03:57 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
NorthTXbirdhunter,

What I meant was, don't judge me on not seeing a dog that was steady to wing and shot. All the dogs I've had the pleasure to feed and hunt with where not steady to shot, nor have the dogs I hunted with that I did not own. That's all. I'm sorry, should have been more clear.

What do your dogs do if a pointed covey gets up on its own before you get there?

[Linked Image]

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: Catch Dog] #5663360 03/22/15 04:21 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
NorthTXbirdhunter,

No problem Catch Dog. My hunting dogs are just steady to flush. Only thing is that I am doing the flushing while he stands there and that is just a personal preference. I have been on some hunts (not many) where if my dog was pointed, another dog would automatically come in and flush. Not my preference but I used it for a training situation for my dog. I made him stand steady while all the interference was going on in front of him. My dad had a female pointer years back that if a dog, any dog, came past her on point and flushed, the fight was on. She taught more puppies to honor than any e-collar method known to man. And she whipped alot of unruly grown dogs for the same thing. She was the sweetest, mildest dog I have ever seen until she was on point. She made sure the show stopped when she was stacked up. Gosh, I miss that ol' dog and Dad too.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked] #5663367 03/22/15 04:24 PM
C
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Well, If it's happened while they were out of sight I guess I guess they go back to hunting. I run GPS on them at all times so I don't think they have showed sitting for very long as they were on point. I don't think there a
Has been a covey get up while seeing them on point as we were approaching, dogs creep alittle but I have to say whoa so they stop completely moving until I get there. And a lot of times when I send the ESS in to flush the GSP has to be reminded of the tone of the e-collar for him not to move until the birds rise. I got him when he was four and training was already in place with the e-collar, the other dogs are older and really don't care until the birds flush then birds and dogs are everywhere.

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: Catch Dog] #5663727 03/22/15 08:42 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Take no more than three out of a wild covey, and move on. If a bird drops a leg, even tho it continues to fly, it should be counted.

Last edited by Pointer; 03/22/15 08:42 PM.
Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5664064 03/22/15 11:32 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
NorthTXbirdhunter,

No problem Catch Dog. My hunting dogs are just steady to flush. Only thing is that I am doing the flushing while he stands there and that is just a personal preference. I have been on some hunts (not many) where if my dog was pointed, another dog would automatically come in and flush. Not my preference but I used it for a training situation for my dog. I made him stand steady while all the interference was going on in front of him. My dad had a female pointer years back that if a dog, any dog, came past her on point and flushed, the fight was on. She taught more puppies to honor than any e-collar method known to man. And she whipped alot of unruly grown dogs for the same thing. She was the sweetest, mildest dog I have ever seen until she was on point. She made sure the show stopped when she was stacked up. Gosh, I miss that ol' dog and Dad too.
NTXBH we had a dog named Bozo that would do the same thing. I think he was a shorthair looking back. He was neutered but would whip any dog that stole his point. Pups learned quick to back. roflmao

Bobby Barnett

Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: Pointer] #5665487 03/23/15 07:19 PM
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted By: Pointer
If a bird drops a leg, even tho it continues to fly, it should be counted.

My experience is that @ half these birds are recoverable if you get a good mark on where they land.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide