6245086 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5652264 - 03/15/15 02:41 PM Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette
blanked Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: magnolia tx
There was a comment made not too long ago about approaching a point on the left side or right side being a right way and a wrong way. Something of that nature. Any way what are the gentlemen rules and if not self explanatory what is the reason for it. Not talking about commen sense safety

#5652279 - 03/15/15 03:09 PM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Don't shoot un pointed birds.

#5652404 - 03/15/15 05:30 PM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked]
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rowlett, Texas
Birds should be pointed by the dog, flushed by the hunter. It irks me to see dogs released to flush. That is my job. And if you going to have a dog in the field, it needs to honor or be learning how.

#5652458 - 03/15/15 06:25 PM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Birds should be pointed by the dog, flushed by the hunter. It irks me to see dogs released to flush. That is my job. And if you going to have a dog in the field, it needs to honor or be learning how.

I disagree about the dog backing. With today's e collars he should not be in the field at all, but then again I guess it depends on if you're the guest or the host.

#5652538 - 03/15/15 07:09 PM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
I see hunters with pointing dogs, that use the flushing breeds to flush with, never quite understood that... hammer

#5652843 - 03/15/15 09:38 PM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
Tracker

Bill,
Don't misunderstand. If a dog is in the field, it needs to back. It is so simple to teach with the e-collar. I have taken young dogs to the field to set up a backing situation. It works without fail most of the time. What I meant is if they will not back, they need to be learning how.

#5653247 - 03/16/15 09:25 AM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked]
kindall Offline

Loc: Spring, Tx
There are times I flush the birds my dog points, and times I use a lab to flush them.
It all depends on how thick the cover is they are holding in.
I've even thrown a rock in wild rose hedgerow to get them to flush before.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

#5655423 - 03/17/15 05:18 PM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked]
blanked Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: magnolia tx
There has got to be more to this gentlemen bob than that. The sport coat and tie, smoking a pipe. Lots more

Edited by blanked (03/17/15 05:19 PM)

#5655532 - 03/17/15 06:43 PM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked]
Sniper John Offline

gumshoe

Loc: North Texas
Originally Posted By: blanked
There has got to be more to this gentlemen bob than that. The sport coat and tie, smoking a pipe. Lots more

An worn out cowboy hat, old army surplus shirt, and a swisher sweet cigar fits me better.

I imagine on any gentleman Bob Texas Quail hunter purist's etiquette list would be to not shoot things that don't fly. Therefore, I am pretty sure I would never be mistaken for someone named Bob. wink

#5656283 - 03/18/15 08:34 AM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked]
kindall Offline

Loc: Spring, Tx
I don't own a sports coat,tie or smoking pipe.
I'm not even a gentlemen.
I'm also not a bob purist.
If its legal to shoot,and has wings, I want to hunt it with my dog.
Other than a few common sense rules before a hunt with someone new, it should be easy.

As far as etiquette goes; Not being a arse, and ruining the hunt for everyone else is the only thing that matters to me. I'm only out there because I enjoy working dogs, and shooting a few birds.
You should be able to get along with most people in the field. If not you might be the one that's the horses [censored].

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

#5662839 - 03/21/15 11:00 PM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked]
Mundo Offline
Woodsman

Depends on your partner. If he is left handed you want to give him a shot to his strong side.
A hunter should flush the bird, not a dog and like bill sez you only shoot pointed birds. Angle of approach should also depend on what way you think the birds will fly. If you have hunted the covey before or are in familiar cover you may have a good idea where they want to fly to.

#5662871 - 03/21/15 11:46 PM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: blanked]
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
Can someone please tell me the difference in a dog flushing vs a hunting guide or you as the shooter flushing the birds? I've done it both ways and I like seeing the dog flush. I guess what I'm asking is why have some folks said not to use a dog to flush? I know if a pointer of any breed is not conditioned to work with a flusher it makes the pointer want to beat the flushing dog to the flush and cause the pointer not to hold point, but other than that I can't see why it would Make a difference.

#5663032 - 03/22/15 07:55 AM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: Catch Dog]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Catch Dog
Can someone please tell me the difference in a dog flushing vs a hunting guide or you as the shooter flushing the birds? I've done it both ways and I like seeing the dog flush. I guess what I'm asking is why have some folks said not to use a dog to flush? I know if a pointer of any breed is not conditioned to work with a flusher it makes the pointer want to beat the flushing dog to the flush and cause the pointer not to hold point, but other than that I can't see why it would Make a difference.

It is a long standing tradition taught to me by the old school quail hunters many years ago. The birddog field trials started in the Old South and the dog had to be steady to wing and shot. That carried over a lot to one's personal hunting string of dogs or at least be steady to wing.

Edited by NorthTXbirdhunter (03/22/15 09:59 AM)

#5663198 - 03/22/15 09:45 AM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
Originally Posted By: Catch Dog

It is a long standing tradition taught to me by the old school quail hunters many years ago. The birddog field trials started in the Od South and the dog had to be steady to wing and shot. That carried over a lot to one's personal hunting string of dogs or at least be steady to wing.

I completely agree. But are yall talking about having the pointer flush or a flushing dog flush the birds for a shot? I understand not wanting the pointers to flush, but I still don't understand why not have a flushing dog as a springer spaniel or a lab or any other type of animal that could be used to flush. My GSP holds steady to wing when my ESS is out front flushing. But I haven't been around long and still haven't seen a dog steady to shot, Don't judge me on that!!!

#5663224 - 03/22/15 09:57 AM Re: Gentlenen bob rules of etiquette [Re: Catch Dog]
Tracker

Oh no, I am not judging you at all. To each his own on how he or she flushes their birds over their dog pointing. The reason the guides use a flush dog is for safety with potentially inexperienced gunners in the hunting party. Nobody can predict the pattern a covey will fly upon flush and the guide would rather his dog get out front and flush so he can take cover if necessary behind the scene. He keeps the gunners in front of him for safety and does not allow them to shoot behind themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide